Trouble connecting 2 repeaters to AP

lathode

[H]ard|Gawd
I need to setup wireless acces at the warehouse at my work. I have 3 D-Link DWL-2100AP's. 1 is connected to a switch and working properly as an access point. I was able to get another working as a repeater (WLAN light on) but cannot get the 3rd working as a repeater. I configured both repeaters the same way but with different ip addresses. (AP- .10, Repeater1 - .11 and Repeater2 - .12).

I guess the main thing I'm not understanding is how the 2nd repeater connects to the first repeater. Is it supposed to connect to the 1st repeaters MAC or to the AP's MAC? If I unplug the AP, the 2nd repeater won't pick up the 1st repeaters MAC. Both repeaters were connected to the AP.

Sorry if this is confusing, but basically Switch -> AP -> Repeater -> Repeater.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I need to setup wireless acces at the warehouse at my work. I have 3 D-Link DWL-2100AP's. 1 is connected to a switch and working properly as an access point. I was able to get another working as a repeater (WLAN light on) but cannot get the 3rd working as a repeater. I configured both repeaters the same way but with different ip addresses. (AP- .10, Repeater1 - .11 and Repeater2 - .12).

I guess the main thing I'm not understanding is how the 2nd repeater connects to the first repeater. Is it supposed to connect ot the 1st repeaters MAC orto the AP's MAC? If I unplug the AP, the 2nd repeater can't won't pick up the 1st repeaters MAC. Both repeaters were connected to the AP.

Sorry if this is confusing, but basically Switch -> AP -> Repeater -> Repeater.

Thanks.

Arn't you suppose to log into the repeaters and tell them both to look for the ssid and password.

When i setup a few access points a few months ago, thats how i did it with the product i used.

Might be the same with yours ?

Arn't you suppose to log into the repeaters and tell them both to look for the ssid and password.

When i setup a few access points a few months ago, thats how i did it with the product i used.

Might be the same with yours ?

I can get both of them to connect to the AP(while configuring them in the office), but when the 2nd repeater is out of range of the AP (in the warehouse) it won't connect to the 1st repeater (which is in the middle of the 2).

I can get both of them to connect to the AP(while configuring them in the office), but when the 2nd repeater is out of range of the AP (in the warehouse) it won't connect to the 1st repeater (which is in the middle of the 2).

bring one up at a time ? middle first,

this works all together when close right ?

I'm not 100% sure if a repeater can connect as a "repeater" so to say, I think you need to put a bridge in there somewhere.

bring one up at a time ? middle first,

this works all together when close right ?

That didn't work. Both repeaters could only see the AP.

I'm not 100% sure if a repeater can connect as a "repeater" so to say, I think you need to put a bridge in there somewhere.

After much googling I think I need to run WDS AP mode instead of repeater mode, as you said it looks like I can't just link up repeaters. Looks like I need to do this: http://support.dlink.com/emulators/dwl2210ap/help/wds.help.html

Hmm, looks like I need to use WEP. I don't know if this should concern me or not, I doubt the signal will reach far outside of the warehouse. Would MAC filtering do much to make it more secure?

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Back