Trouble accessing network share

BigGreg85

Gawd
I am having trouble accessing a network share by its name from a specific computer. When I type in \\networkshare into the run command, I get an error of "Windows cannot find '\\networkshare' check the spelling and try again..."

Now the weird part is I can access the share by its IP address via the run command by typing in \\IP address.

Also every other computer on the network can access this network share via the network share name.

The first thing that came to mind was this is a DNS problem, but all DNS addresses are correct and I also ran an ipconfig /flushdns with the same results.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Couple questions

Is this within a Windows Server environment?

Are these systems on different networks (ie 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24)?

if so, is there a firewall being used that blocking internal netbios and/or DNS communication? (basic layer 3 IP routing seems to be working but the layer 4 TCP communication seems to be faulty from what you're stating)

have you tried to run the winsockxpfix program to see if repairing the TCP/IP stack on the windows machine fixes the issue?

Yes they are on seperate networks, this is for a larger corporate MAN consisted of thousands of computers. Every other computer on the network doesn't have a problem accessing the share by its name. There is a firewall in place, and that doesn't seemt to be causing the problem.

I am not familiar with this winsockxpfix. I will give that a try and let you know what my results are.

Ok I did try that winsockxpfix without any luck. I also tried the command line netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt without any luck as well.

Any other ideas?

Can you ping the file server by host name? If not something is up with the DNS.

if you are trying to access it via \\NetBIOSName then it would/could be a WINS issue on that computer.

try the FQDN; \\name.domain.local or whatever you have setup for your internal domain name.

Yes I have tried the FQDN as well, with no luck. I am truely stumped :confused:

Is there a way to reset the WINS settings?

do an ipconfig /all and compare this computer to a computer that can access it via NetBIOS and/or FQDN?

might try removing the computer from the domain and re-adding it. also, maybe update the NIC drivers?

I tried that as well, still no luck.

check IP settings between known-good computer and problem computer?

if it's only this one computer, it's obviously an isolated issue. Maybe somebody manually configured an IP address, used an old (or incorrect) DNS, and didn't enter WINS info?

but then again, if this computer fails to resolve only a particular server, I can't see how it could be incorrect DNS and/or WINS

Had similar problem. Thing is, access by IP worked because client connected to server via WebDAV (port 80) but wasn't running all the neccessary services for smb/cifs as far as I can remember (Netbios Helper Service).

damn thats wierd...

its gonna be in DNS: clooge job fix, maybe make a manual entry in the hosts file?

If he can ping the server by host name, it rules out anything with DNS. What version of windows are you running? I know versions of 7 below PRO don't include the NFS service.

I was in a time crunch and ended up reimaging the machine, and now it works. Still don't know the resolution.

Thanks for all your help!

Wierd, last thing I would have said to check would be the time on the computer. If the time is off it can cause problems like that.

Back