Trouble accessing BIOS and accessing boot sequence...

donkey33

Limp Gawd
I'm performing a clean install of XP but my computer isn't letting me access the BIOS to change the boot order.

I've got an ASUS AZN8X-E Deluxe and I get a load screen but access the dos screen via tab.

On my older PC's I could just hit F10, etc, and it would load my setup and bios. Now I'm just getting an error. Here's what's on the screen.

ASUS AZN8X-E Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1008

It then lists my hard drives and DVD ROM and CD ROM.

Then....

Secondary IDE Channel no 80 conductor cable connected.

Then in red color....

Insert Disk press Enter or ESC to continue Post.

I hit enter but nothing. Hit ESC and it just loads to Windows.

Why does it do this? How can I change the boot sequence? If it's a problem, can I change the boot sequence another way?

Thanks

It depends on the BIOS what key you use to get in. It could be del, F2, ...etc. The manual should tell you. If you are using the correct key and still can't get in you may want reset the BIOS with the clear CMOS jumper. You do that with the power off and the PC unplugged from the AC wall outlet.
EDIT: If you are using a USB keyboard try using a PS2 keyboard if you have one.

Thanks. I know I have to hit the correct key dependent on the BIOS.

On my other PC it's DEL but here it's not giving me the option to.

Using the options come up on the bottom of the screen with which key to enter setup but here all it is doing is flashing those options for like half a second and then displaying that red message.

Insert Disk press Enter or ESC to continue Post.

That's where the options should be or normally are.

Why is that message showing and not the options so I can access the BIOS. I just want to boot from the CD ROM so I can do a clean install of windows.

One thing to try is hold down the any key while the PC posts. This will usually get you a keyboard error and get you into the BIOS. Are you using a USB keyboard? If USB legacy support is not enabled in the BIOS your USB keyboard won't work from DOS or the BIOS. Reseting the BIOS settings back to fail safe defaults will usually enable it and you can then get in on the next reboot. Failing that connect a PS2 keyboard and try again.

Thanks

Figured it out. Just was too slow on the keys. There is seriously only half a second to get into it.

lol, I know what you mean. I usually hit the power button and then keep tapping the required key until I'm in or get a keyboard error. :)

Back