Tripp-Lite Smart1500lcdt Standby Power

johnmeyer

n00b
Can this unit be turned completely off without unplugging it?

I have several other Tripp-Lite units (G1000U) which, like this one, constantly modify the power and are therefore working all the time. Like this one, they get pretty warm from that activity. However, when I turn off my computer, I can press the button on the front panel of those units and they turn completely off. My Kill-A-Watt meter then shows zero watts.

Unfortunately, on this unit, when I do the same thing, while the front-panel line indicator does go off, indicating that there is no power being supplied to the UPS outlets, all the other front-panel lights stay on and the unit continues to draw over 20 watts. Since I frequently go several days between projects on this computer, that is a LOT of wasted power.

Not very green, for sure.

I can always unplug it, but the cord is behind the computer hutch, so that is a bit of a PITA. A power strip with a switch is another option.

Is there an undocumented button sequence that will give me what I want?

Not that I’m aware of... reason being is even though the UPS is “off”, the onboard charger continues to float the batteries.

Probably also keeps the data port alive to report status to UPS monitor central. Useful in an large environment where knowing the status of several hundred UPS units is important, not so much for an individual user.

Might send a query to Tripp-lite support.

Back