Triple screen or one large one for gaming?

So, I have both a triple 1440p setup (27" 144Hz G-Sync) and a 55" 4K TV on another rig. There are pros and cons, and I like them both, but I would recommend going with a single screen.

Now, triple screen is great for work, which is my main reason for keeping them around. And gaming can be amazing *when it works*. However, there are lots of software issues with Surround (or Eyefinity) and there are games that just won't look right or work at all.

Furthermore, running on 3 screens is seriously intensive. I have GTX 1080 SLI in this rig and it can barely run new games at that res (7680x1440, more than 4K). So with a single 1080 Ti you will be struggling and have to turn down settings. On older games, though, it's nice. Especially with 144Hz.

On my newer rig, I have a Samsung 55" 4K TV. I actually think I went too big, my previous 40" was a better size for daily use. But gaming and movies look great on the TV if I just sit a little back. But overall I like it and games (even old ones) look amazing at 4K.

So it will really depend on what your main use is. For work, 3 screens is great. I can have an IDE open on one screen, the app on another, and a web browser with docs on the third screen. Great for productivity.

For straight gaming, I'd probably go with the 4K option, as most games will just work without any issue. It's still intensive, but a 1080 Ti should be enough in most cases. You also have an option of doing virtual 21:9 with a custom resolution (works well on Nvidia, AMD has problems).

A 4K TV is another option, and they are pretty affordable now. I'd say 40" - 50" is a good size range. Check out rtings.com, they have a lot of good reviews on TVs.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
So, I have both a triple 1440p setup (27" 144Hz G-Sync) and a 55" 4K TV on another rig. There are pros and cons, and I like them both, but I would recommend going with a single screen.

Now, triple screen is great for work, which is my main reason for keeping them around. And gaming can be amazing *when it works*. However, there are lots of software issues with Surround (or Eyefinity) and there are games that just won't look right or work at all.

Furthermore, running on 3 screens is seriously intensive. I have GTX 1080 SLI in this rig and it can barely run new games at that res (7680x1440, more than 4K). So with a single 1080 Ti you will be struggling and have to turn down settings. On older games, though, it's nice. Especially with 144Hz.

On my newer rig, I have a Samsung 55" 4K TV. I actually think I went too big, my previous 40" was a better size for daily use. But gaming and movies look great on the TV if I just sit a little back. But overall I like it and games (even old ones) look amazing at 4K.

So it will really depend on what your main use is. For work, 3 screens is great. I can have an IDE open on one screen, the app on another, and a web browser with docs on the third screen. Great for productivity.

For straight gaming, I'd probably go with the 4K option, as most games will just work without any issue. It's still intensive, but a 1080 Ti should be enough in most cases. You also have an option of doing virtual 21:9 with a custom resolution (works well on Nvidia, AMD has problems).

A 4K TV is another option, and they are pretty affordable now. I'd say 40" - 50" is a good size range. Check out rtings.com, they have a lot of good reviews on TVs.

Yeah Im looking for a 42"-48" range of size, as this weekend I moved my 42" TV to my desk just to play around, and it seemed like a good size for my desk, anything bigger would feel too big. I'm getting a little worried that the 2019 models of TVs wont have a 42" version, as 42" seems to be the size that most consumers pass over in favour for larger sizes.
but yeah, I have a 1080ti, so I should be ok, I think I should be able to keep BF1 at 60fps.

Yes, the premier model TVs are getting bigger, which is why I went with 55", but you can still find around 40" sets maybe missing some bells and whistles.

I play iRacing (like kind of a lot) and recently went with the 49" Samsung Ultra wide. You will have some FPS drops running triple 1440p even with a 1080ti, Imola front straight, nurburgring GP front and the other iracing hot spots. The 49" allows me a 111 FOV which isn't much less than my old triple setup, plus the ease of setup and the lack of bezels really make for an immersive experience. Makes setup for other racing titles much easier, and the 3840x1080 res, while not ideal for everyday use, is much easier to drive at high FPS. Also, if you've never tried it, NV-Surround is a pain in the ass for everyday use.

Can't speak to FPS games as my monitor is mounted in a dedicated sim rig, and can't really speak for 16:9 ratio, but for racing games, the 32:9 of the samsung is tits.

Yeah, good point on the bezels. Also, it's hard to see all three screens at once (I even bought special curved prescription glasses, and I still can't see the full view). You really are seeing the middle screen and maybe half of the side screens, so it's a bit of a waste. An ultrawide single monitor would allow you to see everything, and be better performing too since it's rendering less pixels. I've never tried one, so I can't vouch for the experience, though I've had fun with virtual 21:9 custom resolutions.

Last edited:
I've done triple monitor eyefinity/surround with 16:10 monitors, 16:9 single 4K and now a single 21:9 widescreen. The triple monitor setup was nice, but had to fall back to one monitor for a lot of games. Running 4K was good, but hard to maintain 60 FPS even with a 1080Ti. The 21:9 support is a lot better than multi-monitor ever was, but still a few misses, but the g-sync support makes it worth the slight step down in rez vs. 4K for me. I'll likely go to a single 16:9 4K once there are some better ones out with async support and no quality issues. Note I mean single display for games, I always have some older monitors conneted up to put discord/browser/etc. on, but no game usage.

I've done triple monitor eyefinity/surround with 16:10 monitors, 16:9 single 4K and now a single 21:9 widescreen. The triple monitor setup was nice, but had to fall back to one monitor for a lot of games. Running 4K was good, but hard to maintain 60 FPS even with a 1080Ti. The 21:9 support is a lot better than multi-monitor ever was, but still a few misses, but the g-sync support makes it worth the slight step down in rez vs. 4K for me. I'll likely go to a single 16:9 4K once there are some better ones out with async support and no quality issues. Note I mean single display for games, I always have some older monitors conneted up to put discord/browser/etc. on, but no game usage.

Yeah this sounds like the path I will take too. I will try to hold out till I can get a 4k 42" screen with gsync or 120hz. Probably going to be waiting a tad..

Back