Triple monitor sim options

Daleon

Limp Gawd
Building my first sim cockpit. Finally decided on the GTR Simulator GTA Pro with the large Triple Monitor stand. Looking for the best cheap triple setup since I will also be doing VR some of the time.

1080p
144-165hz
1ms response got to have low input lag
IPS

Would like HDR10 and 300+ brightness. QHD would be nice but don't think a 3090 would even maintain 120+ fps on triple. I wish there was a 37-39" TV with these kinds of specs but guessing will have to be a 27-32" monitor. Trying to stay in the $200 and under range if possible otherwise if I have to really dump some money I may look for a larger stand that can handle 55" screens.

So far come up with these as options.

Acer Nitro VG270 Pbiip 27"
Viewsonic XG2705 27"
ASUS VG27VQ 27"
LG 32" Class UltraGear 32GN50T-B.AUS

Still looking if AOC has something that would work.

Have you thought about keeping it simple and just go with one widescreen 49 inch monitor? I used to have a flight sim setup with five 30 inch monitors in portrait. Running of three 1080ti’s. Reduced that to three 30 inches in landscape and eventually sold two 1080ti’s and dropped down to a 52 inch 4K tv. The tv gave me neck cramps because it was sitting to high and I moved it to the living room for tv duties. Went back to the three 30 inchers. I want to get a 49 inch widescreen but going to wait for a higher resolution version with at least 1600p or 2160p. 1440 is just not cutting it for me. Not sure what to do with those five 30 inch 2560x1600 monitors either.

I will also likely get another single screen stand that can hold my 55" C9 when I upgrade from it. I will be doing racing and flight sims and since I bought the triple monitor stand I might as well use it and I think for racing its a little more fun. Still not sure how I will react to VR.

MSI Optix Mag series has some nice 32" screens though they are VA I don't think that would be to much trouble.

Trying to decide if I want to pay the extra for this. For this price there are QHD 144Hz options just don't have the HDR10.
LG 27GN75B-B 27” HDR10 IPS FHD 1ms Ultragear Gaming Monitor with 240Hz Refresh Rate, Adaptive-Sync (FreeSync Technology & is Compatible with NVIDIA G-Sync).

I definitely want to go curved which has narrowed the options and I think for this application VA will be the better option than IPS really. I think I've narrowed it down to a couple of Dell's. The S3220DGF and S2721HGF.

The 32 is really tempting with the price its going for on Dell site. QHD would definitely be a plus for space and flight sim games not sure if it will matter as much with racing sims though I'm sure it will look better. Only problem is the more triple sim setup's I look at the more it looks like 27" is the sweet spot. The S2721HGF is not quite as nice of a VA panel but still pretty impressive features for the price. Might be a coin flip.

The S3220DGF was to tempting for the price, got 3 on the way. Should be pretty sick triple setup.

Don't go for anything below triple 32" (if it were me not even below 40") for racing sims. Anything else is like looking out of a tank..

In reality though you should get a HP Reverb G2, Index or Pimax 8kx and never look back. VR basically feels like it was invented for racing and flight sims.

I have the Quest 2 for this gen, was a toss up between it and the Reverb G2. For the price and what you get the Q2 seemed like the choice.

Building my first sim cockpit. Finally decided on the GTR Simulator GTA Pro with the large Triple Monitor stand. Looking for the best cheap triple setup since I will also be doing VR some of the time.

1080p
144-165hz
1ms response got to have low input lag
IPS

Would like HDR10 and 300+ brightness. QHD would be nice but don't think a 3090 would even maintain 120+ fps on triple. I wish there was a 37-39" TV with these kinds of specs but guessing will have to be a 27-32" monitor. Trying to stay in the $200 and under range if possible otherwise if I have to really dump some money I may look for a larger stand that can handle 55" screens.
At 1080p you should stick with 24 inch monitors due to the pixel pitch - although 27s would be fine if you sit far enough back.

Don't go 32 with 1080p. 1440 is workable at that size but not optimal (again depending upon the view distance)

The frame sits the monitors a little farther back than most like. Many have cut the frame to move it in closer. I may do that or I may try and find a triple monitor arm I can mount to the frame behind the wheelbase or find a separate monitor stand.

Went with 3 Dell S3220DGF's - 32" 2560x1440 165hz VA 4MS 400 nits HDR 10 bit panel came out around $335 each. I likely would have been happy with 27" 1080p IPS 144hz panels around $210 each also but these give me a reason to go 3090 and for flight sims they should look much better.

The frame sits the monitors a little farther back than most like. Many have cut the frame to move it in closer. I may do that or I may try and find a triple monitor arm I can mount to the frame behind the wheelbase or find a separate monitor stand.

Went with 3 Dell S3220DGF's - 32" 2560x1440 165hz VA 4MS 400 nits HDR 10 bit panel came out around $335 each. I likely would have been happy with 27" 1080p IPS 144hz panels around $210 each also but these give me a reason to go 3090 and for flight sims they should look much better.
Well - unless you just want bragging rights, or already own the card - 3090 isn't really necessary. It's really designed for people doing heavy lifting in Blender, etc. 3080 is preferable for gaming and cheaper.

Well - unless you just want bragging rights, or already own the card - 3090 isn't really necessary. It's really designed for people doing heavy lifting in Blender, etc. 3080 is preferable for gaming and cheaper.

Hmm I don't know. Total screen resolution: 7680 x 1440 pixels (11.1 megapixels) and trying to stay close to 165 fps. I know MS FS2020 barely goes over 10GB at this res but it does go over some. That 10-15% performance gap between 3080 and 3090 could be useful. If I can't get anything before the 3080 20GB's are released I will definitely shoot for those. Also keeping my eyes on AMD cards of course. Dell not shipping monitors for a few weeks and trying to wait till BF to see if Fanatec has some good discounts so have some time to decide on the card.

Hmm I don't know. Total screen resolution: 7680 x 1440 pixels (11.1 megapixels) and trying to stay close to 165 fps. I know MS FS2020 barely goes over 10GB at this res but it does go over some. That 10-15% performance gap between 3080 and 3090 could be useful. If I can't get anything before the 3080 20GB's are released I will definitely shoot for those. Also keeping my eyes on AMD cards of course. Dell not shipping monitors for a few weeks and trying to wait till BF to see if Fanatec has some good discounts so have some time to decide on the card.
I would not use MSFS as a bench. There's a lot of optimization and CPU limitation issues with it. That said, I know a lot of people are building toward that. Even so... I'm not sure that the extra horses provided by the 90 actually solve any of those issues. Certainly can't hurt - but you're not getting any real value for the extra cost (~4 frames, AFAICT).

In other words - I don't think hardware is solving the software problems vis 80 vs 90

Yeah, 3090 bench's are looking pretty pathetic. Hopefully AMD has something nice up their sleeve.

Yeah, 3090 bench's are looking pretty pathetic. Hopefully AMD has something nice up their sleeve.
I don't think 3090 is going to be in danger from Big Navi... but they don't need to hunt that particular target. It's not a 'mainstream' card, rather it's targeted at industry. Fanboys and guys with more dollars than sense are going to get it just for bragging rights - and good for them... but they're not going to have any real advantage (other than long life, which they won't appreciate) over purchasers of the 3080. All told, for AMD, the 3080 is the target - it's the better 'enthusiast' class card (or perhaps 'actual' in place of 'better')

Have you looked into the 32:9 monitors in the 40-50 inch range? I was VR racing since 2016, but since I bought the ASUS XG43VQ 3840x1200 resolution, that's been taking my time up for racing sims.
I would race VR still, but the hassle of calibrating, getting everything hooked up with plugging and unplugging just throws me off sometimes and I'm too lazy to do that stuff these days.

They look great on rFactor2, RaceRoom, iRacing, AC on content manager and ACC.

So as soon as the Dell's got here, I saw Samsung had pretty much resolved the issues with the G9 on the latest model\firmware. So decided to ship those back and got the G9 on sale on BF for $1300. 49", 5120x1440, 240 Hz. Still in the box, got all the parts for my sim rig now I think, expected to run into needed some random part here or there during the build. Been spending so much time camping for cpus and gpus the last few wks to tired to do much else. Just got home from 20 hr camp at MC, but I got the 6900 XT for the sim rig!

Back