Triple Booting

vage

2[H]4U
Hey guys. I am curious if anyone can point me to some good tutorials on how to triple boot my machine. I am building a new system and putting Vista Business x64 on it. I will use that for mostly everything but would still like to leave my options open. Thats why I want to have XP on there as well. Also because I have been getting more into Linux, I want to have Ubunto on there in case I feel like making the switch, and also just to help practice my linux skillz. Can anyone help me triple boot (preferrebly without any 3rd party software unless it makes everything crazy easy)?

install the windows operating systems first then install ubuntu it has a boot loader called grub that will automatically detect them at startup it displays them in a list and you choose which os to boot

i am using it to quad boot vista, xp, osx, and ubuntu

Its really that simple? As long as Ubunto is the last OS that I install I'll automatically be offered the bootloader options every time?

p.s. I know we aren't supposed to talk about it here, but how does osx run on your machine? Just as well as it would on any mac?

yes it really is that simple except for osx which is not added automatically you have to do it manually

also osx runs awesome i would highly recommend you try it as well as ubuntu with compiz fusion

if you do decide to quad boot be aware that ubuntu must still be installed last the reason is that each os has their own bootloader that will take priority over the others

You'd probably want to adhere to the rules and stop discussing OSX on a PC.

Anyway, yes it's that easy. You would install XP first, then Vista, then Ubuntu. Make sure you only create a partition for that current OS during it's install process, and only that partition. Leave the rest of the drive unallocated, until you create the next partition in the next OS's install routine, until you get to Ubuntu, in which case you can tell it to use the rest of the free space.

Is there any particular reason that I would go XP first and then Vista? I probably won't be doing this as soon as my new system is built. I wanted to mess around with Vista as soon as it was built just so I can enjoy my new system and play some games before I worry about triple booting.

XP -> Vista -> Linux

By installing XP before Vista the Vista boot menu will recognize XP first and then when you install Linux it will install Grub and recognize BOTH windows installs.

Ok well then one last quick question. I am getting 4 gigs of ram in my new system, I know that if I want to make use of all 4 gigs than I need a x64 OS. I am going to use Vista for mostly everything, and XP for stuff that I absolutely NEED that I can't do on Vista, whatever that may be. Should I go for XP 64 or is it not really even worth it if I'm barely ever going to use it.

Ok well then one last quick question. I am getting 4 gigs of ram in my new system, I know that if I want to make use of all 4 gigs than I need a x64 OS. I am going to use Vista for mostly everything, and XP for stuff that I absolutely NEED that I can't do on Vista, whatever that may be. Should I go for XP 64 or is it not really even worth it if I'm barely ever going to use it.

Only 64bit will only take proper advantage of the 4gb of memory otherwise 32bit will only show between 2.5-3.2gb

Well I know that, I said that above but I what I am really wondering is if XP 64 is going to possibly give me driver issues or some kind of incomparability problems with current software.

Well I know that, I said that above but I what I am really wondering is if XP 64 is going to possibly give me driver issues or some kind of incomparability problems with current software.

Do some research because for example I have a Auzentech Xplosion soundcard and the drivers to download off their website don't work for XP64 and it took me to find a PDF file that a link to some beta drivers that worked perfect.

Ok will do. Thanks a lot for all the help guys!

Can't wait to get it all up and running. Case and 8800GT come today, the rest comes tomorrow!!!

no 8800gt support in current drivers for linux yet still waiting on nvidia only vesa

fyi i won't be mentioniong osx on a pc again sorry but you do realize that theres is a "Leopard On The ASUS Eee PC" on the HardOCP Front Page News

Back