Triple boot?

cdr_74_premium

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know how to do that?

I got a Dell D630 and I am waiting for the 1TB HD to arrive. I plan on having XP/10 and Linux running on it. Is it possible?!

Sure. Install in that order. Windows 10 will automatically create a dual boot with another Windows OS. Then install Linux and grub will do the rest.

Yeah, as Auntjemima said, just make sure you install Windows 10 and XP first, after that installing Linux is pretty simple.

After playing with many OS'es over the years, I advise to use your motherboards' boot menu to select the drive with the OS you want to use.

EasyBCD is useful if you want to use a single bootloader also.

You could just run everything in a VM too. Might be a good idea anyways with how insecure xp is.

I actually set up a quad-boot on a P2-266 back in '99. Win 98 SE, Win 95 OSR2, Linux, and Win NT 4.

I was proud of myself. But I would never do something like that again. Too tedious.

Just bear in mind that Virtualbox is nowhere near as fast as bear metal, if that's the VM software you plan on using.

Eh, VirtualBox has never been great. VMware Player (also free) should be within 90-95% of bare-metal for most things, which for XP on modern hardware is plenty fast. Linux is also similarly well-behaved, unless the desktop environment has all the eye candy and effects turned up.

Could also give Hyper-V a shot if on Win10 Pro.

Multi-boot is a bit tedious, IMO. I try to avoid it unless the OS absolutely needs bare-metal access, such as for gaming or weird apps and peripherals.

You could just run everything in a VM too. Might be a good idea anyways with how insecure xp is.

XP is basically to use a single program, which will be run offline. So no worries.

It's a Dell D630 notebook, so it's not insanely fast nor super old.

Back