Triple boot XP (32bit), 7 (64bit), Ubuntu (64bit) on a 3TB drive

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Bontakun, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Bontakun

Bontakun [H]Lite

How do I seamlessly make a triple boot of XP (32bit), 7 (64bit), Ubuntu (64bit) on a single 3TB hard drive without needing to switch between UEFI and BIOS? I'm trying to make 7 the largest partition, and the other two smaller. I know MBR has a 2TB limit, but is that limit per drive or per partition?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. xLokiX

xLokiX Limp Gawd

Partition the drive into the 3 sizes you want. Install XP first, then 7, and Ubuntu last so grub doesn't get messed up. It would be easier and quicker to just install windows 7 and then make Vm's of XP and Ubuntu though. Is there any reason those can't be virtualized?

3. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

The partition table is for the whole disk, so using an MBR would limit the drive's capacity to 2.2TB. It would be a shame to limit that disk to 2.2TB. If I were you I would set it up with a GPT and virtualize XP inside of W7 so I could access the max capacity of the drive.

4. Tsumi

Tsumi [H]ardForum Junkie

Virtualization would be the best unless there was some technical reason you can't do it.

5. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost [H]ardForum Junkie

That's what I was thinking. You can do it at no cost, and still utilize the other OSes. It simplifies your setup, and allows you to use more than one OS at the same time.

6. rhansen5_99

rhansen5_99 [H]ard|Gawd

7. Unknown-One

Unknown-One [H]ardForum Junkie

It's actually only about 500GB of extra space (a 3TB drive is really only 2.72 TB)