Triple 42” 1080P TVs + Car = [H] Gaming

HardOCP News

[H] News
I am in the process of staging stuff to be packed for an upcoming move and, purely by coincidence, our TVs ended up sitting in front of my car…and that’s when it hit me…wouldn’t this make a killer Eyefinity or SLI Surround set-up? I already have the Eyefinity / SLI rigs and TVs, I just have to sit in the car with wireless keyboard and mouse / controller and I’d be all set. Hmmm, I’ll try to get this set up before I make the move and show you guys how it worked out. :D

Nice coincidence. Would you actually use the sound from the car stereo?

All you need is a wireless hookup for your wheel and pedals and your set :)

And why would you want to play starcraft 2, Metro and ARMA II from your car? :p:p

that gave me an idea. My Maxima's got one 6" screen in the console. I wonder if I can fit 2 more 6" screens and set it up for EyeFinity.. hmmm.

Come on Steve you just wanted to show some of the Steve mobile. I know it's awesome.

And why would you want to play starcraft 2, Metro and ARMA II from your car? :p:p

Because it's more dangerous than texting while driving and probably allot more fun too! =)

that gave me an idea. My Maxima's got one 6" screen in the console. I wonder if I can fit 2 more 6" screens and set it up for EyeFinity.. hmmm.

That there is an idea dude. Triple the distractions! hahahaha. =)

I know a guy in Kansas City that has a 3 x 82" Mitsu Eyefinity setup in his basement. I have a 58" that I love. Great TV's.

You should watch him raid ICC 25 like I have a few times.... mind blowing.

I know a guy in Kansas City that has a 3 x 82" Mitsu Eyefinity setup in his basement. I have a 58" that I love. Great TV's.

You should watch him raid ICC 25 like I have a few times.... mind blowing.

I'm looking to get one of the 82"mitsu's soon for my living room, can't imagine 3 for eyefinity/nvsurround, wow. I've played wow on and off since release and I can't imagine ICC25 with that setup, that would be nuts.

Use 480's in SLI and you won't need to run your heater in the car. ;)

I'm thinking your house is basically just a sports bar. Every time you turn your head, another TV playing another game.

make sure you get one of the new 82" 3D Mitsu's just released, for what you get the price is not bad at all, around 2200 - 2300, all these 40 - 52" lcd / led kiddies have no clue. Rear Projection is NOT dead.

Im about to get rid of mine and upgrade to the 73 or 82

I love my 5870 Eyefinity and GTX 480 NV Surround setups, but I can't stand that the only way to get SLI enabled with the GTX 480 setup is to span all the monitors, having separate 1920x1080 landscapes setup won't let you use SLI. I don't get why. Maybe some people would agree with me. :(

All you need is a wireless hookup for your wheel and pedals and your set :)

What you really need, though it would probably make the car undrivable, would be to convert the cars current wheel, pedals and shift lever so that you could use them for your games. There was an articles about some guy who modded a newer car's dashboard (BMW I think it was) for use with games. Couldn't find that on but this is cool too http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/213301/bmw-m3-is-the-ultimate-gaming-peripheral/

you could even put a mini eyefinity setup in for the rear and side view mirrors. even screens outside eachwindow for true reality.

Of course you could also just take that sweet car out to a track day.

... When I saw the pic I thought I was to see a car drive through three TV's...

ok steve. this is what you do... Raise up the move the 42" lcds up a bit so you can see them well, from out your windshield. Replace the steering wheel with a gaming one.... Ultimate place to play some GRID or Dirt2!

You have too many TVs.:D

I also thought this was going to be a YouTube video of a guy crashing into some TVs.:eek:

What you really need, though it would probably make the car undrivable, would be to convert the cars current wheel, pedals and shift lever so that you could use them for your games. There was an articles about some guy who modded a newer car's dashboard (BMW I think it was) for use with games. Couldn't find that on but this is cool too http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/213301/bmw-m3-is-the-ultimate-gaming-peripheral/

you could even put a mini eyefinity setup in for the rear and side view mirrors. even screens outside eachwindow for true reality.

Of course you could also just take that sweet car out to a track day.

I had thought about trying this with my '78 trans am as it mostly just sits in the garage anyway, but it's too much effort. In order to do it properly, you'd have to disconnect the steering shaft from the steering box and connect it to the input shaft on the computer wheel and make it easy to switch back and forth. Fitting a computer steering wheel box in that spot would be difficult, but doable if you don't have power steering (which I don't). The pots for the brake and clutch pedals could be mounted under the dash without too much difficulty and left there. You'd have to mount the pot for the gas pedal on the carb, which would be very difficult to make easily removable or able to be left in place, and also very difficult to fit under my factory shaker setup and not have it interfere with the throttle linkage (Steve's camaro might be easier). You'd have to make sure the carb was empty of fuel to avoid flooding the engine before playing, as well (which isn't that big a deal as today's gas evaporates out after a day or two of the car sitting). That's all doable with a lot of planning and a decent amount of effort. The hard part is the shift linkage. You could mount switches to the individual shift rods, but shifting one of these manual trans with the car not running isn't good for it and is quite difficult as it doesn't want to engage. That would mean you'd have to take the shift rods off the trans and hook them to switches mounted under the car; switches that would have to be able to take being pelted by road debris every time you drive the car or make them easily removable. Even doing this would require jacking the car up every time you want to play and possibly having to re-adjust the shift linkage, which is a PITA. Better bet is to find a car in the j-yard and build a cockpit out of the front clip and keep it in your gaming room.

Actually, its been a long time idea of mine to take a small compact car (in my idea its a Plymouth Horizon, my first car), cut it in half, put roller wheels on the back, build a support for the roof, tear out the engine, drive train, windshield, dash. Put one racing seat and put in a dual rig under the hood using the car's original radiator as a radiator for a large water cooling setup. Mouth flatscreen's where the windshield used to be, build a desktop where the dash and passenger seat used to be, then use the front car speakers and rear mounted speakers with a stereo head unit for sound.

Unfortunately I lack three essential things to do this: 1) Money, 2)space for construction and housing, 3) TIME! But it would be a kick ass killer mod!

Hah! My former boss at Intel has a similar-color Camaro himself. He spent far too much money refurbishing it the past couple years. His was a "paint delete" model, because it was released at the end of the '68 year, but with the '69 orange color. So it was technically a color that wasn't available in its model year.

Someone had repainted it red in the mean time, he recently had it repainted with the modern Camaro orange. (The full way-too-many-coats plus stripes paint job cost him something like $14k, IIRC.) It now looks very much like the original.

where you moving Steve? I've been so damn busy this summer... lol. I'm almost done for the season. We need to hang out!

Wretched Excess...

There's starving gamers in Croatia and just look at you with your TV's and Camaros!

:cool:

...and he has a roof over his head and everything. Soooo lucky! :)

As always Steve that Car is so bad ass. Love to see classics and the color is ripe! Good luck on your move

We are heading to Las Vegas.

Long story short: We are renting out our new house here in Alaska and going to Vegas to help with an illness in the family down there.

We are originally from Vegas so after we adjust to the temperature change, we should be golden.

:)

Long story short: We are renting out our new house here in Alaska and going to Vegas to help with an illness in the family down there.

We are originally from Vegas so after we adjust to the temperature change, we should be golden.

Yes, Golden brown in the summer....

;)

Hope you don't end up loosing [H] because of your gambling addiction :D

Vegas? I lived there for a while. Which part? Henderson, Summerlin, or god forbid North Vegas (I lived with my father in law where Las Vegas BLVD and Cheyenne cross, major ghetto. He bought his condo when it was a nice area, and it went to the crapper).

Back