Trine demo released

Disable crossfire? Its just a demo and likely dont have proper crossfire support. My single 4870 maxxed it out without even heating up.

I reistalled the PhysX and it seemed to play fine.

I really like this game. :)

Downloading this game right now, just watched the video over at the shack. Can't wait to give it a try.

Edit: Just cleared the demo. It left me wanting more, that's for sure... Ran really well on my system at 1680x1050, everything as maxxed as it gets. I think this one's begging for a controller though. I've got an order in already for an xbox360 wireless controller for my PC, but I think I'll check out how the PSN version looks as well. The price of the game is going to decide at this point, I think, but I'm definitely getting it.

Last edited:
any way to change resolution and graphics options? Needed some AA. Very cool looking game though

any way to change resolution and graphics options? Needed some AA. Very cool looking game though

Dunno what version you have but i have the steam version and when you launch the game it brings up the configuration utility first.

trine.png

Dunno what version you have but i have the steam version and when you launch the game it brings up the configuration utility first.

trine.png

aha, I just passed through that without looking at it actually and was looking within the game at options. steam version too.

You get Shadowgrounds for free with a Trine Preorder. I'm finding that to be quite entertaining as well.

It is cool but the gameplay feels a little half baked---not as finely tuned as say Metroid or Castlevania or similar sidescrollers. But it looks great.

The whole thing makes me feel like I'm 7 again (in a good way).
thats a good way of putting it :)

I found a ring in a chest, but not sure what it does. Then the demo ended, so maybe i'll try it again.

It is cool but the gameplay feels a little half baked---not as finely tuned as say Metroid or Castlevania or similar sidescrollers. But it looks great.

You have the right to your opinion but I couldn't disagree more.

Just played through the demo and it was a lot of fun. Watched the trailer, the coop mode looks really awesome. I will definitely pick this up for the 40 bucks it looks like it will cost as long as the game is at least 8-10 hours and there are a few environment changes.
Edit: or I guess 30 on Steam.

Last edited:
I was excited until I learned that the coop is local only. And when I say local, I mean on the same computer; no networked coop.

after you beat the level, you can "continue" to replay the 2nd level with the same characters. You keep your experience, so you can level up this way. you get one skill point to boost either the wizard (can have 2 boxes instead of 1), thief (2 arrows per shot), or knight (chance for critical).

Even $30 is way to much. DC games shouldn't be more than $10-$15 tops. You might as well put it in retail stores and make a ton more money if your going to be charging $40.

I don't get your complaint. The game IS hitting retail.

The budget price point for downloadable games has to end. Developers are really being limited when they think they can only release a downloadable title and charge $10 for it.

And hey, these games can very well be worth their money. World of Goo, Braid, Plants vs. Zombies were some of the best games released in the past few years. I think Trine has a shot at that as well.

And don't forget, the developers have said the game is 7-9 hours long, it supports coop (and soon online coop), and has lots of unlockables and achievements to encourage replay. I think this will be $30 well spent.

You get Shadowgrounds for free with a Trine Preorder. I'm finding that to be quite entertaining as well.

How do I get Shadowgrounds? I saw this promotion as well and pre-purchased Trine but no where do I see Trine or Shadowgrounds listed in my games list? I do see Trine pre-purchase listed under my account though...

And don't forget, the developers have said the game is 7-9 hours long, it supports coop (and soon online coop), and has lots of unlockables and achievements to encourage replay. I think this will be $30 well spent.

Proof of online coop being added? That's the only thing preventing me from making this purchase.

Even $30 is way to much. DC games shouldn't be more than $10-$15 tops. You might as well put it in retail stores and make a ton more money if your going to be charging $40.

This demo has more polish than 90% of full retail games, and about 100x the freshness!

I'll admit, 10 hours (7 for someone good) is a bit short. I'd imagine 15-20 hours for this sort of game (high production values) at that sort of price (just short of AAA title).

I have zero qualms about shelling out $30 (already have, preordered) but I hope it is eminently replayable if it's only 10 hours long.

I'll admit, 10 hours (7 for someone good) is a bit short. I'd imagine 15-20 hours for this sort of game (high production values) at that sort of price (just short of AAA title).

I have zero qualms about shelling out $30 (already have, preordered) but I hope it is eminently replayable if it's only 10 hours long.

A game needs to be as long as it needs to be without repetition. Making a game 15-20 hours long doesn't make it any better. 7-10 hours is a nice sweet spot. Portal was only 2-3 hours long but it was a great game that didn't overstay it's welcome.

Portal is only 3 hours long if you ignore it's challenge modes and advanced missions. The story mode is basically a tutorial for the harder game within.

Downloaded and played part of this demo lastnight. This indeed a fun little game. Its actually the most fun I've had with a pc game in months and months...really thinking about dropping a preorder for it...

For some reason my game seems glitched as I can never go back to my last checkpoint. I have made it quite a ways in only to quit and then restart and choose "Go to last checkpoint" but am dropped at the start.

Man, this game rocks. It reminds me of a mix of the original Prince of Persia (for the excellence in character animations), Diablo, and LBP.

I preordered it with no question. Replay value? I've already played through the demo 5-6 times!?

the demo was kinda fun.. i'd buy it for 10bux, no more

been playing around this game on demo..

I said it definitely worth it if you have friend to coop with...

else, NO..... its more like a 10-15 dollar game....

So I changed jump the right mouse button, because thats what my jump has been for over a decade in every game. Everything is perfect, except now I cant pick up a box with the wizard, since that used to be that button. It still works fine for the thief, its the grapple still. There are no options in the game for changing what the default two mouse buttons are. Anyone have the same issue?

So I changed jump the right mouse button, because thats what my jump has been for over a decade in every game. Everything is perfect, except now I cant pick up a box with the wizard, since that used to be that button. It still works fine for the thief, its the grapple still. There are no options in the game for changing what the default two mouse buttons are. Anyone have the same issue?

I don't have it installed, but sometimes you can edit an .ini file or .cfg file that has all the controls mapped in it.

Yeah, you can do that. But nothing is labeled correctly it seems. It works for one character, but not the other. For now, I just bit the bullet and use the default button to jump, which is E, when using esdf. Annoying, but whatever.

The game is certainly beautiful and runs very smoothly...nice twist on the genre but so for it feels a bit superficial...I would like 2-3 attack/block options for the fighter, maybe a staff or more spells for the mage and dagger for the thief...anyway, maybe that stuff comes later....All in all a nice side scrolling dungeon crawling adventure...but enough with the physics already..feels just a tad gratuitous. Despite this games fine qualities I think I am spoiled by the immersion factor only a good first person game can provide like Fallout 3 or Oblivion. Still....a nice diversion I will put in the "casual" folder for the 15 minute gaming slot before bed time on a work night.

I have no problem remapping controls...have "change next/previous character" on the mouse wheel x axis...works well. Have not tried to change the default mouse buttons though..yet. Sorry.

This game is so freaking BEAUTIFUL on maxed. Plays really well with the 360 controller also.

Wow , this a really fun game, I haven't had this much fun playing a game on PC in months, I love sidescrollers, It reminds me of Ghost n Goblins with a little Castlevania thrown in. I wish more games would come out like this.

You can edit the resolution in the config file to get resolutions above 1920x1200. The launcher will show a blank resolution drop down but the game will run at the specified resolution. I've only tested this at 2650x1600. Beautiful game, interesting gameplay. I have to try the co-op with the kids later tonight.

Back