TriFire 290x Arch

Soarin

2[H]4U
Bf is buying 2 more 290x cards and he has been searching all over and so far the answer we can find is that it is damn near impossible. He has Arch 64bit. Wants to triple card and triple monitor. If this is possible please explain how.

Arch Linux?

I think the catalyst binary driver should work. OSS won't.

Alright I will relay the message. Thank you and will post back once he tries it.

Edit: he is doing it on a fresh installation, ARCH still. Will post when I have more into.

Last edited:
There are so many caveats here. Depending on his desktop environment, etc. running the proprietary driver may break things. IE. gdm (part of gnome) breaks on my config using catalyst unless I manually roll back to an outdated version of xorg. There is a ton on the Arch wiki and forums about it. In the end for my config (triple monitor/single 6950) it's just way easier for me to stick with the open source drivers that are officially supported. I had all kinds of headaches from VLC/MPV crashing to things like locking the screen not working because I was launching gnome from kdm or slim etc. Performance is adequate for my linux gaming needs with the open source driver (Dota 2 works fine). With all that said I'm switching to nvidia next round due to linux driver support. If he likes to tinker and has a need for three cards outside of gaming (hashing, etc.) go for it, but be prepared to fix things. I can't imagine that crossfire works well.

Last edited:
That is what he was worried about. He was going to sell his 290x and get a 780ti or 980 but no offers have bit yet in my WTB thread, so he decided, since it is cheaper too, to go and get 2 more 290x. He is asleep right now but when he gets up I will ask and see how his ARCH reinstall went with the driver.

Back