Tried to Reinstall Windows. Now only Black Screen. No POST.

JoeOnePack

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

A friend of mine thought it would be a good idea to reinstall windows from WIndows and not install from boot.

The windows install went as far as the "Completion stage" and thought it froze so he restarted the computer. Ever since then the screen when started just has a black screen. I tried installing another HDD with Windows 8 preinstalled, but it still shows a black screen and no POST. I hear the fan spinning and the light flashes on the Caps Lock button

What are his options and what can he try?

the most obvious option that should have been done first is to wipe the hard drive and do a fresh install. If it doesn't post he probably broke the laptop some how or possibly the laptop died in someway coincidentally during that install, installing windows even wrongly isn't going to keep it from posting, it should still show at least a boot up logo of the maker. Putting in a hard drive with windows already installed as well is just asking for problems.

Have you looked up the manual for the laptop to see if the flashing has a sequence that might mean something? You can try pulling the cmos battery and the power battery and then putting them back in to see if it will at least boot.

Last edited:
the most obvious option that should have been done first is to wipe the hard drive and do a fresh install. If it doesn't post he probably broke the laptop some how or possibly the laptop died in someway coincidentally during that install, installing windows even wrongly isn't going to keep it from posting, it should still show at least a boot up logo of the maker. Putting in a hard drive with windows already installed as well is just asking for problems.

Have you looked up the manual for the laptop to see if the flashing has a sequence that might mean something? You can try pulling the cmos battery and the power battery and then putting them back in to see if it will at least boot.

After doing some more research on the specific model of the laptop, the HP G62 series, it seems that there is a common problem with having a black screen and no POST.

It seems that many people are having weak solder points on their GPU's and it causes this black screen. I'm not sure if its just a coincidence for me that I got a black screen after I reinstalled windows, but I will try to take the laptop apart and clear the cmos.

Many people have attempted to overheat the laptop by blocking the vents with a towel for 20+ minutes and that seemed to work. That will likely be my next step. It may also be that the LCD screen cable came loose. Another seemingly common problem with this laptop.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Back