Tried to install Longhorn beta, hardware search locks up, more. Read please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noah

Limp Gawd
Hello,

Today I attempted to install my copy of Longhorn. Here is my story.

1. I want to install this on my second, empty hard drive, so I decide to install from Windows. Everything goes well until I have to restart. I do, it boots to setup, but then I am told the drive isn't available for use. Funny, it said it was in Windows.
  2. So, I try again, nothing. I decide, "Let's start the install from DOS." Now it doesn't even show the drive. So I go to install it, thinking I will be able to rename the "Windows" folder for Longhorn, and instead it renames my folder w/ XP, leaving XP useless. "####!" I say, but since I have no choice, I continue.
  3. When I get to the "Hardware search" part, it says it takes 10 minutes tops to search. Cool with me, so I go and take a 30 minute shower. I come back down, hard drive is whirring, but no movement since I left. I restart, try again. And again. And now I have 2 "Microsoft Codename Longhorn" options in my MBR. What is up?
    [/list=1]

Since you have a legal copy of Longhorn, you must be a Microsoft authorized beta tester. I'm sure there's a way for you to contact them with a bug report; you may have misplaced it They'll be very happy; the reason they have beta testers in the first place is to see what kind of hardward their stuff doesn't work on.
If you're not a Microsoft authorized beta tester, I have two observations:
First, I don't doubt you're having problems; you're trying to install a pirated pre-release version of a beta operating system...of course there are going to be problems. This is the wrong place to ask; nobody here has any experience with Longhorn...it's not out yet.
Second, read the rules...

Sorry 'bout that. It's not pirated, but it's beta, and MS doesn't support it. I fixed it.

Strange, you would think MS would have a feedback system in place....why else have a beta test?

its not in beta yet, you are full of shit. Its still in alpha. There are no beta testers yet, the best anyone really has is the PDC alpha, which ms still wont support.

Q: When will the Longhorn beta start?
A: Summer 2004. Microsoft recently provided developers with an early alpha build of Longhorn (4051) and the Longhorn SDK at the Professional Developers Conference (PDC) in Los Angeles. Beta 1 will ship in summer 2004, Microsoft says, followed by a Beta 2 release and then the final release.

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/longhorn.asp

i cannot install longhorn because itwont find my raid array :(... i dunno why, i tried everything...

I couldn't load the vmware drivers in longhorn, so all i got was crappy 16 color nonsense and anti-hardware accerated nothing. in my experience VMware sucked for longhorn...

Originally posted by USMC2Hard4U
i cannot install longhorn because itwont find my raid array :(... i dunno why, i tried everything...

Assuming you have the MSDN copy, or PDC copy, both which came with full documentation, it would tell you how to install the F6 support. ;)

If you have it legit, contact MS for support.

Don't come here looking for help if you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back