Tried to install graphic card driver, now can't boot (even in safe) or reinstall OS

bass_ec

Gawd
So I tried installing a new 3d graphics card driver for my new 3d display. When it prompted me to restart, I did.

Now, I can't get it to boot at all. It will display the normal BIOS related startup stuff, but when it comes time for Windows to take over, it just shows a gray screen with nothing on it. I have tried normal startup, safe mode startup, and even tried my Windows DVD to reinstall Windows and even that won't display on the monitor now. The display definitely works as I'm now using it on my PS3 so it was definitely a driver issue, I just have no idea how to fix it (especially when it won't even display the Windows DVD menu for me to reinstall the OS)

Any ideas?

Have you tried pulling the card and running it off integrated graphics? or using the previous card?

That's the problem. No integrated graphics on the mobo, and it wasn't a card switch. I just finally got a 3d compatible display so I tried the 3d drivers and boom, this happens.

shit.. the only time i had the display stop functioning on me was when the resolution didnt work with it. I switched wires from hdmi to dvi and the display responded in game. if you have a second computer u can hook up the drive externally and uninstall the new drivers? sorry i couldnt be of more use for this issue

Have you tried running it with a different monitor? If it works then uninstall the driver.

Have you tried running it with a different monitor? If it works then uninstall the driver.

Weird. I'm so confused why this worked. The driver/monitor combination was actually causing the boot to fail, cause I plugged it into another monitor after it was already on -- nothing. However, when I restarted the machine with it plugged into that monitor, boots just fine. What a bizarre problem. Not even sure where to start with this...

UPDATE: So I rolled back the driver, and same issue. Computer boots fine with the TV plugged into it. If I let it boot plugged into TV then move over to monitor, monitor works fine. If I boot with the cable originating in the monitor, the boot process fails and neither display will work. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Maybe BIOS problem? Like when XP's installer wouldn't work with some graphics cards.

I've had cables fail on me. Try replacing that first, they're cheap. Cheaper on eBay if you're willing to go that route (I would ;) ).

EDIT: BTW, last time I had a cable fail, it was VGA and the monitor (SyncMaster 510MP) was telling me "display mode not supported". Shutdown, pull & replace cable, boot back up... worked fine. Those cables have more than pixel data going through them, you know... there's a couple lines where the PC can chat with the monitor, find out what the monitor wants to do in terms of resolution/refresh rate/etc.... useful stuff, and good to know about.

Ok so here are the results:

I have two monitors (TV and Playstation 3D Monitor).

1) When plugged into TV, computer boots fine and if I unplug and then plug into PS 3D Monitor, works just fine.
2) When plugged into Playstation 3D monitor, computer wont boot past the BIOS screens. If I unplug and plug into TV, still shows nothing, meaning that this particular combination of monitor/graphics card is causing the computer not to boot.

So I reformatted Windows (was due anyway) and tried again. Still nothing. Same issue as above. What in the world could be causing this? I've never seen such a thing where the monitor is actually causing a boot issue. I don't think the Playstation 3D display is broken as it works fine after the computer is actually booted, and it works fine with the PS3, but something internal is causing the computer to fail when trying to boot up.

Anyone have anything similar or have any thoughts?

UPDATE: Should also mention that I flipped the CMOS switch as well to eliminate all possible problems. Did not help either.

Last edited:
OS? Graphics card?

Have you tried both HDMI ports on the PS3 3d?

Closest I've seen to this is that my system wouldn't boot when connected to my panasonic TV if the TV was off, due to (I believe) the HDMI CEC implementation. You may want to browse through your ps3 3d monitor to see if there is any sort of "link" you can disable.

Back