Trick to overclocking 2500k with Asus P8P67?

MrFace

2[H]4U
Went in BIOS, set multi to many different settings, no dice. System keeps going to Windows at 3.3ghz. BIOS says the target speed is whatever I'm commanding...but I never get it :eek:

EDIT:

Everything is perfectly fine. This behavior is apparently normal.

On Asus, do NOT disable Turbo mode, that is why I couldn't get above 3.3ghz.
It is normal for the CPU to go down to 1.6ghz and then up to your desired Turbo speed under load.

Last edited:
I have speed step disabled in BIOS....I'm actually sitting at 1.6ghz right now

This is so frustrating...no matter what settings I do in BIOS they don't carry over to Windows and the computer won't change speed. I change the multi to below 33 to above 33 and it sticks to 33 and speed step is magically turned on every time I get in to Windows.

i just got my same setup installed. i will be messing with OCing once my new case comes in, hopefully this weekend. my eye will be on this thread in the mean time....

I believe you overclock that board by upping the turbo multipliers. I also believe that the BIOS will report the default clock speed, since it doesn't apply turbo until you are in Windows. What is CPU-z reporting for the speed under load? Also, trubo mode may be tied to speed step on that board, so disabling it may disable turbo (and hence overclocking). Have you checked any of the review sites that overclocked that board and followed their steps? Have you tried using the Windows tool?

Found a review site that says you can't disable turbo mode. Turned it back on, still booted in to windows, 1.6ghz.

Loaded it up with prime, 4.2ghz(which is what I commanded). CPU temps are 90+....either my mobo is horribly wrong or the stock cooler sucks!

Yes, watch the video.

You guys sound a lot like me before I watched the video.

The video shows you exactly what to do to get a nice 4.8 OC right off the bat, if you have the cooling that is.

Hey load up Prime 95 or something else to put a load on the processor. Also open up CPUZ and see if it changes...

I have Turbo, C1E, EIST, C3/C6, all disabled in BIOS. I suggest you start there...i had a similar issue but on the Gigabyte UD4 until i did this.

I have Turbo, C1E, EIST, C3/C6, all disabled in BIOS. I suggest you start there...i had a similar issue but on the Gigabyte UD4 until i did this.

I did some further research and found you need turbo mode on or it won't OC. Even then, the "OC" is only turbo mode OC, the CPU won't always be at your OC....weird.

I think on the Asus board you have to leave Turbo enabled... that is how the overclocking is done. However it doesn't run at that frequency unless the chip is under load. Mine sits at 1600 mhz the majority of the time as well. I haven't figured out how to turn that off yet.

I did some further research and found you need turbo mode on or it won't OC. Even then, the "OC" is only turbo mode OC, the CPU won't always be at your OC....weird.

that's why i said to load up cpuz and prime 95 or something else to put a load on the chip. I want to disable that shit but haven't found a way yet.

I think on the Asus board you have to leave Turbo enabled... that is how the overclocking is done. However it doesn't run at that frequency unless the chip is under load. Mine sits at 1600 mhz the majority of the time as well. I haven't figured out how to turn that off yet.

Just curious: why would you want it to run any higher when it's idling?

Everyone keeps asking me that... I don't like Speedstep on Desktops. When overclocking I am manually setting the voltage of the processor. The voltage doesn't downclock when the processor does if it is manually set. Therefore WHY NOT have it at full speed all the time?

Also, I don't know, I can have several VMs open, tons of tabs other programs running etc, and it doesn't clock up that much. Personally I'd just prefer it set to the max at all times. I don't give a shit about the $3 a year it's trying to save me in power.

I love speedstep on laptops when battery life is an issue, however on desktops I do not want it.

Yes, that YouTube video is very informative.
Video shows both automation OC and manual OC.

My 2500K idle @ 1.6GHz, and when on load, it is @ 4.6GHz (my oc limit)

that's why i said to load up cpuz and prime 95 or something else to put a load on the chip. I want to disable that shit but haven't found a way yet.

Yeah I loaded it up with Prime and it boosted to my desired speed. I've been out of the loop for so long so I'm pretty ignorant right now :D

I certainly don't, but it's confusing to those who are used to the days when if you OC it's permanent and not just under load.

I certainly don't, but it's confusing to those who are used to the days when if you OC it's permanent and not just under load.

Those days are long gone. Being green and energy efficient is the new hip thing.

My AMD X3 unlocked to Quad Core idles @ 800 Mhz which is really what I spend most of my time doing on a PC :p Forums sites, Youtube, Listening to FLAC albums, surfing tech sites, Torrenting old/new shows or whatever. Then every once in awhile I Encode a video and game for an hour or two, and use max CPU speed 3.3ghz. Looks like AMD wins when it comes to idle CPU utilization for me. :eek:

Unlocking CPU Core > OC CPU for me :)

I don't mind this as long as it steps up the speed instantaneously upon detecting any sort of load. I don't want to be loading things slower for the sake of being green, but if they get it to work right, no biggie. There should be an option to turn it off though.

I don't mind this as long as it steps up the speed instantaneously upon detecting any sort of load. I don't want to be loading things slower for the sake of being green, but if they get it to work right, no biggie. There should be an option to turn it off though.

I don't know where the exact post is, but I remember seeing a post stating that the average transition time is LESS than 2 microseconds. That's fast.

I don't know where the exact post is, but I remember seeing a post stating that the average transition time is LESS than 2 microseconds. That's fast.

Yeah I'm seeing it respond rather quickly. As soon as I do anythign that requires a load it boosts up to my commanded speed.

I like it!

My question is this though....

Things that I do that normally don't load the CPU, day to day browsing, launching applications, copying files, etc... Why would I want those tasks to only be computed at 1.6 ghz instead of say 4.5 ghz. Obviously there is probably a bottleneck so that CPU power doesn't matter such as the hard drive. But still, personally I would rather my PC be running at it's top speed all the time.

The only times my PC clock up is when gaming or benchmarking for the most part.

My question is this though....

Things that I do that normally don't load the CPU, day to day browsing, launching applications, copying files, etc... Why would I want those tasks to only be computed at 1.6 ghz instead of say 4.5 ghz. Obviously there is probably a bottleneck so that CPU power doesn't matter such as the hard drive. But still, personally I would rather my PC be running at it's top speed all the time.

Because those tasks take almost no computing power. Why run the car engine at 5000 RPM when you're creeping along in traffic?

Because those tasks take almost no computing power. Why run the car engine at 5000 RPM when you're creeping along in traffic?

Still, even the smallest task should be done faster at 4.5 ghz then 1.6 ghz no? If it takes 10 milliseconds at 1.6 ghz it would make sense it would take less at 4.5 ghz?

I realize there probably isn't any realworld difference but to me I don't see the point. I have all that stuff disabled in the bios yet it still clocks down. It's just annoying.

I'm glad it idles down but it should stay at full power if you want it to. Weird how you can't turn it off, on my Q9550 you could but I left SpeedStep on.

I realize there probably isn't any realworld difference but to me I don't see the point. I have all that stuff disabled in the bios yet it still clocks down. It's just annoying.

The point is that power use is a function of both voltage and frequency. So if you lower the frequency, even if the voltage is the same, it'll use less power (and thus generate less heat).

I recall from a few years ago that there was an issue with not being able to fully turn off the speedstep function, but I can't recall what the resolution was.

The point is that power use is a function of both voltage and frequency. So if you lower the frequency, even if the voltage is the same, it'll use less power (and thus generate less heat).

I recall from a few years ago that there was an issue with not being able to fully turn off the speedstep function, but I can't recall what the resolution was.

Yeah, I get that, but I don't care about it... I can afford my power bill just fine, I don't need to save $3 annually.

Again, I like the technology in laptops, but do not like it in desktops.

Is this a problem only with the ASUS boards? Maybe they'll release a new BIOS soon.

Do u think its motherboard or processor related?

If its a BIOS issue, im sure ASUS have already released an updated BIOS before some of the boards were shipped out...

Just got done OCing via Asus auto tuner. i chose the "extreme" option and ended up with 4.327Ghz under load. CPU temp up to 46 C and vcore 1.28. Idle vcore@ .99 - 1.11 idle with CPU 1.6Ghz and 26 C. we will see about stability after i throw prime95 at it.

2500kOC.jpg

^ i don't like how ASUS' auto-tune adjusts the BCLK. not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, but i ended up going into the BIOS and manually overclocking.

^ i don't like how ASUS' auto-tune adjusts the BCLK. not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, but i ended up going into the BIOS and manually overclocking.

Yeah my clock was a bit unstable and I thunk it was that 3mhz it ads

You can change the base multiplier and the turbo multiplier. I changed mine to 16, but you can change it to anything you want and that's the lowest it will ever go.

I tried the autoclock in the bios and it also clocked my 2500K to 4.3 according to the bios. However, Windows 7 reads it a 5.8ghx and so does my cpu meter on load. Is this just a bug? Everything seems to run fine but I ended up getting nervous and changed the clock to normal.

Back