Tribes Vengence

CyberCRAP

Gawd
Well, I'm tempted to pick this game up, but wondering if anybody else has played it. I luved tribes 1 and tribes 2 although they were both very different games. However, I really like the 3d movement with the jetpack it really adds to the game. Plus it seems like there are a lot less 12year olds playing it like the rest of the games.

However, I'm a little worried there won't be much support for the game, and since it was developed by a different company (i miss dynamix), I don't know if I want to shell out $50 on it if it is just going to sit on my self. So also if anybody knows of any place to get the game for less than $50 that would be great too.

My best suggestion is to play the demo. The demo ran very smooth. I played it at 1600 X 1200 with all the eye candy turned up and it ran beautiful. As far as support is concerned I think there will be great support; I mean there is already a patch out for the game that fixes some minor things. The patch came out the same day. The graphics are pretty dencent on the game as well. Nothing ground breaking though. All in all I'd say it's a pretty decent game! I'd either go with Tribes or Battlefront. I like both.

Good [email protected]. :)

Both the tribes games have had huge support. I am sure we will see a community map pack for this one in three-five months. I ordered it from gogamer today.

I got my copy in the mail today and I've been playing the single player campaign... surprisingly it's actually really well :eek:

I love the demo's (and the beta rocked). I don't want to drop $50 just 'cause I've been burnt before (T2, UT2k3). . .but I might have to if the SP part is well-done 'cause that's 2 games for the price of 1.

I was thinking about trying out that game but................................ :p

my buddy just got and is obsessed with it, he even stood me up at the gym yesterday cause of it

xTABx7 said:
my buddy just got and is obsessed with it, he even stood me up at the gym yesterday cause of it

Ohhhhh, you got dissed!

The game is seriously that good.

I played the beta and it was alright. I still liked Tribes 1 better. Maybe I just wish the small speeder was back. And some of the weapons felt unbalanced.

But overall it was good.

T:V is quite good so far... probably far better than we deserved to hope for after the sad state the franchise was left in after T2's demise.

Tribes V might seem a little too "vanilla" for some people used to T2's over the top inventory of 'stuff', but the important thing to remember is that the base game is incredibly solid.

T1 had tons of fun and successful mods like Renegades / Shifter / Havoc that were successful because the core gameplay of T1 base was so solid. T2's mods were much less popular because the community was splintered over the most basic gameplay elements, including physics and vehicles. T:V has the same solid feeling that T1 did. It will spawn many great mods :)

btw, just beat the single player mode of T:V. If you're a tribes vet, it will be fairly easy unless you play on hard. They did a ton of great missions that should train Tribes newbies in the basic gameplay of Tribes - speed, movement, and non-hitscan weapons.

Pick this game up if you even remotely enjoyed Tribes or Tribes 2. If you are a hitscan dependent jackass that can't learn to aim and lead your weapons, leave now, Tribes is not for you :p

Well, I downloaded the mpdemo and have some mixed feelings about it. First off it feels like ut2k4. I own ut2k4, and played it for a little while, but got bored with it pretty fast. Of course tribes does feel like it has a little more teamplay aspect, although half of the teams just sits there jerking off. This is no tribes1 or tribes2. Other than the name of the teams and some of the same weapons & packs, there are huge differences.

Ok the sniper rifle sux bad. Sometimes it shoots a laser, sometimes it just looks like it shot a bullet. I can be sitting there aimed right at somebody shoot them and nothing happens. Other times it will take off health. It is also a real bitch to lead somebody with it, when I can get it working. No idea why I sometimes see a laser, other times nothing. The disc is still the best weapon and I luv discing people jetpacking a way. They even give you style points for it (yay!). Maybe I missed something, but where is the heatseaking missle? That was the best weapon in tribes2. It made people be a little careful about having their jetpack on for too long, plus killed the vehicles real quick. Also no ammo back, wtf, and no cloak pack also stupid.

In terms of levels, I think they are large enough considering the gimped out jetpacks. I believe the ones on tribes2 were a little more powerful & lasted a little longer. I think the vehicles are pretty good though, but the whole respawn part of them is stupid. Should have a purchase pad like before. The gfx are nice, but I feel like I'm playing a cartoon which is kind of dissapointed. Sure the armor had some jaggies in t1 & t2, but there is no need to bust out a crayon to fix it. I guess this is the biggest reason it feels like ut2k4, because it has the same cartoonish animation for the soldiers.

Anyways, I just bought hl2 on steam so I don't think I'll be playing this demo too much longer. The game is fun, but I don't see it staying fun for very long. Course I'm no CS buff, so we will see how long I can take the bs involved in counterstrike before switching to something else.

So far my favorite game out is still enemy territory, and I was hoping tribes vengeance would change that.

The heatsinking missile was the gayest weapon in T2.

It encouraged newbies to simply stand around seeing if they could lock onto people for an automatic no-skill kill, and it forced everyone else to carry flares in their grenade space instead of... well.. grenades.

Since the vehicles were nerfed, there was no need for something as powerful as T2's rocket launcher. Also, the sniper rifle will take some time to get used to - in the beta I couldn't hit shit with it, and I was quite deft with the laser in T1 and T2. Now in full retail release, it is very easy to handle. Also remember that it is indeed a projectile weapon, not instant.

The biggest problem of all right now is that there's so few decent MP servers up. They failed to release a dedicated standalone server on release, and just did so the other day. Also no linux support, which hurts server hosting even more. They fubared that pretty bad :(

CyberCRAP said:
Ok the sniper rifle sux bad. Sometimes it shoots a laser, sometimes it just looks like it shot a bullet. I can be sitting there aimed right at somebody shoot them and nothing happens. Other times it will take off health. It is also a real bitch to lead somebody with it, when I can get it working. No idea why I sometimes see a laser, other times nothing.

Depends on how much energy you have stored up as to how much dammage the shot will do. It runs off the same energy that powers your jetpack. Also watch the veins on the gun, they will also let you see if your shots going to do full dmg or not. Also, although the gun is neer instant, it is still a projectile weapon.

I bought Tribes1, Tribes2 and Tribes Vengeance.

They all pwn IMO and I and glued to Tribes Vengeance 24/7 :)

Tribes Vengeance OWNZ!!!!

I finally got the game today. I played Badlands, Junk, Isle and the arena one. That arena one is terrible. It wouldn't be so bad without the ledge but thanks so it, you have heavys standing half a mile away shooting mortars in the base killing tons of people upon spawn. To make it a lot worse, I think that was the only spaw place too. Badlands is just huge but at least skiing is fun even though it doesn't get you anywhere fast.

I see the same problems in this game as I did the retail T2. The maps suck. The community fixed this with T2 so it looks like they will have to do it again with this game.

Back