Tribes Ascend now live

I haven't been playing much lately but it's the same as on the forum here (MavericK96).

I go by Xaxl on Tribes. I play a lot less than I used to. Just enough to get a WOTD in most times. And being paired up against people who play a lot more than I, makes it less fun heh.

I tried sniping, which I've never been very good, for a few days. I was lucky if I got much above the bottom of the scoreboard most rounds, that's pretty frustrating to try to learn to play something against moderate to good players.

nukularZ here. CTF only western.

I recently unlocked the 88000xp thumper on the tech, and I love playing tech now. Before it was all about me playing the path and just capping/chasing, but I love playing defense now. I can even airmail people with this weapon. So now I'll usually start the game as a tech and then if my team goes down I'll try to start capping flags. Totally addicted... :D

I'm so addicted to this game, it's sad really. I find my favourite class/role rotates every couple of days; currently I love using a Pathfinder with bolt launcher for capping and light defence.

Capping really well takes a lot of practice I've discovered. Right now I only have a slightly higher chance of grabbing the flag at high speed than I do of running into something and losing all my speed :)

I normally play West coast CTF maps as PointyEnd.

I still think its lacking compared to the old tribes with renegades mod...I wish valve or someone could up just updated the graphics Im sure people would be playing to this day!

Not sure what calss to go with. I think technician bc I like D and building a fort.

just started playing this recently, loving it. Cant pick my favorite class yet. So far my top two are the juggernaut and soldier. Nothing like skiing backwards as a juggernaut and firing a mortar on the ground and watching enemies ski into it, got my first triple kill doing this lol.

And my god is tdm fun, its like a roller derby how everyone kinda skis in a big circle after the flag killing each other, tons of fun. What i like most is the fact that even though its a f2p game wiht paid unlocks your completely competitive with the base classes and unlocks.

Capping really well takes a lot of practice I've discovered. Right now I only have a slightly higher chance of grabbing the flag at high speed than I do of running into something and losing all my speed :)

I normally play West coast CTF maps as PointyEnd.

That's where you need to turn around, aim your spinfuser at the ground, and blast yourself back up to speed. It works very well if you have a certain perk too. ;)

I still think its lacking compared to the old tribes with renegades mod...I wish valve or someone could up just updated the graphics Im sure people would be playing to this day!

1. Graphics are fine

2. Valve has nothing to do with this game.

Lately I've been playing this a lot more than any of my other games.

I recently bought the pathfinder bolt launcher since it was daily deal for me. I had low expectations but ended up very impressed with its damage. I actually had a ton of fun playing a dedicated chaser. One game I had 8 flag defends and 11 flag returns, all from chasing down cappers somewhere in the midfield, which I was very proud of, even though my team lost.

It's a nice change of pace from infiltrator, doom, jugg the other 90% of the time that I've played.

Once the X1 LMG and Doom mines go on daily deal, I'll have everything I really care about and the only thing I ever bought was the starter pack off steam during the summer sale.

So I'm level 23 which forces me to play in the high level bracket. This in itself I don't mind. Its the fact that in capture and hold a good 75% of the people are mortar spammers... It's extremely annoying.

Go by my forum name and play every night for anyone who cares to join.

well i gave in and spent $20 on gold lol. Got 1800 gold for that, then used it on the starter pack and raider pack with 200gold left over to spend on whatever else I want.

The starter pack on steam was a killer deal looking back, I picked one up for one of the kids.

capture and hold is obviously tilted toward classes which can take and hold ground which is heavies / mediums. Get a raider with the nj5b and you can bring down heavies pretty fast. Personally I cant stand playing Capture and Hold much because in a pub there is just no team work. Its really obvious that when you hold 3 of the 4 points its better to let them keep spawning at the last point. But instead they always rush down to it. Also its very obvious that high ground gives you and advantage but people just keep rushing to the garbage points. You can never get people to focus they just take a point then run to the next one. Every game is won by 1 or 2 good guys if they happen to by one the same team who know to hold down 2 high ground points.

Anyhow in CTF it is hard enough to get people to focus on the 2 flags but in C&H its just impossible to get them organized around what to do when there are up to 5 objectives. I only played C&H alot when I was trying to level up odd weapons on some heavies.

BTW if you have not been playing lately I think the game has really improved for 2 things. 1 they have more reasonable brackets now so you play with more similar skilled players. 2nd they made it easier to hit people with projectiles like spinfusors and there is alot more mid air action. The new weapons have really brought some weak classes like brute and soldier up in power. Games are more even.

The starter pack on steam was a killer deal looking back, I picked one up for one of the kids.

capture and hold is obviously tilted toward classes which can take and hold ground which is heavies / mediums. Get a raider with the nj5b and you can bring down heavies pretty fast. Personally I cant stand playing Capture and Hold much because in a pub there is just no team work. Its really obvious that when you hold 3 of the 4 points its better to let them keep spawning at the last point. But instead they always rush down to it. Also its very obvious that high ground gives you and advantage but people just keep rushing to the garbage points. You can never get people to focus they just take a point then run to the next one. Every game is won by 1 or 2 good guys if they happen to by one the same team who know to hold down 2 high ground points.

Anyhow in CTF it is hard enough to get people to focus on the 2 flags but in C&H its just impossible to get them organized around what to do when there are up to 5 objectives. I only played C&H alot when I was trying to level up odd weapons on some heavies.

BTW if you have not been playing lately I think the game has really improved for 2 things. 1 they have more reasonable brackets now so you play with more similar skilled players. 2nd they made it easier to hit people with projectiles like spinfusors and there is alot more mid air action. The new weapons have really brought some weak classes like brute and soldier up in power. Games are more even.

Soldier weak? Soldier is seriously one of the best all around classes. With Spin + Thumper with safety third/quickdraw, you wouldn't believe the amount of rape that does in TDM. I'm only rank 24, but I have the most fun in matches with all top level players. I'm typically in the top 3, unless I'm having a shitty day.

Plus I play with a trackball :)

They do need to nerf the heavies. They have way too much energy. When a heavy can stay in the air longer than a soldier, something is very wrong. They should only have enough energy for quick sprints up hills. They also regen too fucking fast. Nothing pisses me off more than hitting a heavy with 2-3 direct hits, chasing him around to get the final hit, only to have him regen to full health.

The soldier was definitely weaker before the recent patches. The gast rifle and buffs to projectiles helped him. Plus you have the quick fuse grenade now which is insane. Raiders would mess them up without much effort before. Also I highly suggest you drop one of the projectiles in favor of a gun like the eagle pistol or ghast rifle. You can do fine with projectiles in close but if you are playing good players they are just going to put distance between you and them and pick you down with an automatic, and you will have no way to counter that with 2 projectiles.

TBH health regen shouldn't be in the game in the first place. Was one of the major complaints I had with the game when I tried it in beta.

The soldier was definitely weaker before the recent patches. The gast rifle and buffs to projectiles helped him. Plus you have the quick fuse grenade now which is insane. Raiders would mess them up without much effort before. Also I highly suggest you drop one of the projectiles in favor of a gun like the eagle pistol or ghast rifle. You can do fine with projectiles in close but if you are playing good players they are just going to put distance between you and them and pick you down with an automatic, and you will have no way to counter that with 2 projectiles.

Autos are for pussies. I hate that they are in the game, and absolutely refuse to use them. I play the top ranked players all the time, and never have an issue with 2 projectiles unless I'm just playing like ass. With quickdraw, I can typically hit someone with both shots and kill them before they even realize they've been hit. Soldier would suck ass without the quickdraw.

Short fuse have been in for a while now, and I have been using them since they came out. That combined with the safety third perk is crazy. I can lob 4 of them by a dropped flag and just rack up the kills.

I prefer to mid-air flag cappers with the short-fuse... as long as they're a light they'll be insta-gibbed.

You can time it when they're on approach so they don't even get off the stand, or if you intercept them you can mid-air them and get a quick return... I have nearly ~30 flag defense/returns an hour playing mostly as Soldier chaser.

Autos aren't bad, most people suck with them so it's not much of an issue. I stick with the thumper until I run out of ammo or need to deal with someone using an auto. It's fun taking down DMB's and Jug LMG's with the Gast rifle. They have nearly twice as much health as me and a better weapon, but seems like most people just can't aim. I got so annoying to some DMB's and Jug's they just suicide if I got near them.

I really hate sentinels as they don't seem to fit into the game at all. Sitting in one spot, shooting people from across the map? How is that Tribes? It just doesn't fit with the game-style of what every other class. Maybe in competitive play it's necessary to shut down cappers, but most of what I see is just lame.

Most the high rank players do nothing but use autos. You're at a major disadvantage against them if you don't have one equipped. Saw one dude go raider and use nothing but his auto, he was killing people left and right who were trying to use their projectiles on him.

Once they have the distance on you, they can dodge your shots and keep pegging you.

I don't play as much as I used to, so I suck going up against most of those max rank guys. Been playing a bunch of different classes leveling up their weapons and trying out some different stuff because I pretty much get stomped no matter what I do more than half the time. Can't learn when it's just a handful of guys riding over you repeatedly.

If you get the drop on a heavy, it's almost easier just to keep pounding them with the thumper dx... does 840 on direct hit, so 3 of those and he should be dead. You can also toss a short-fuse if you sneak up on them, does 1000 and drops them to medium-level health. You can usually land a quick thumper too so they're down to < 1000 health and scrambling to fight back.

But you have to get good at predicting where people will go + get used to the trajectory of the spinfuser/thumper when you're moving at faster speeds.

I mostly play CTF too, not TDM, although my main focus is defending the base, so I tend to go hunting for heavies that are harassing our flag.

I don't know if anyone has linked the stuff from gamescom already but....

http://youtu.be/o3JBUdvxDUE

....skip to 2:40. New technician stuff. I'm of the opinion that the tech really doesn't need more utility. In the right hands it's a strong class right now already.

Turret looks cool, but I'm betting the original ends up being better. Anything that fires slower probably means it'll end up being blown up fast.

Repair mines replace motion sensors...motion sensors are a big deal on gen defense. So I'm betting a lot of people continue to use motion.

The multi-fire thumper is hard to gauge without seeing damage numbers. Most people don't use the twinfusors, multi-shot thumper might end up being the same way.

I'm just hoping they start offering me some daily deals that aren't skins....been about a week now with all but one being skins and the non-skin was like 30% off. blah.

Played today, i aman old quake player, that being said this game is all kinds of terrible.

I guess I just have outgrown this type of FPS -- It doesn't even compare to CSGO or any modern shooter.

...it is free to play though, and it fells like a f2p title.

*edit: I didn't mean to come off as a douche bag. I guess what I mean is I played the shit out of Quake and Unreal T, but with today's physics and weapon accuracy and real-time bullet physics.. I just found this to be very,very bad. it's like playing a platformer game from 1994 or something. it is fun, but their are 1000' of games that have done that and have done it better in the time since Bill Clinton was president.

Last edited:
Played today, i aman old quake player, that being said this game is all kinds of terrible.

I guess I just have outgrown this type of FPS -- It doesn't even compare to CSGO or any modern shooter.

...it is free to play though, and it fells like a f2p title.

*edit: I didn't mean to come off as a douche bag. I guess what I mean is I played the shit out of Quake and Unreal T, but with today's physics and weapon accuracy and real-time bullet physics.. I just found this to be very,very bad. it's like playing a platformer game from 1994 or something. it is fun, but their are 1000' of games that have done that and have done it better in the time since Bill Clinton was president.

Your going at it all wrong. The game isnt ment to play like a realistic/modern shooter. It ment to be a fun/arcady type shooter and a update to the tribes series. There may have been "1000" games like this in the past but theres almost no games like this now. Its like a fresh breathe of air in a sea of nothing but realistic shooters. Now everything is dark/grey with limited movement and the person who camps the best/respawns behind you wins. Is the game perfect?No but the price is right and its pretty damn fun imo.

So just wanted to post that they have released a GOTY pack, $30 for non vip and $20 for vip accounts. Unlocks all classes, perks and weapons (does not unlock full masteries though). For the amount ive enjoyed this game, between the $10 I spent on a starter pack and the $20 on this I'm definatly getting my $30 worth.

Also some new maps and balances for the game

Link to news
http://www.shacknews.com/article/77820/tribes-ascend-game-of-the-year-edition-coming-friday

Link to tribes ascned GOTY pack
https://account.hirezstudios.com/orders/tribes-goty.aspx

Would rather they let me spend my remaining gold on the weapons I lack at a reasonable price. Since I don't need so many more and I don't care for the voices and what not. Appears they stopped doing daily deals at some point...shrug.

Got PS2 now I guess.

Surprise! Tribes: Ascend is getting an update.
http://www.pcgamer.com/surprise-tribes-ascend-is-getting-an-update/

There are more issues to be addressed. Preliminary notes.

DeepSkyBlue
Tribes:Ascend Version 1.1, September, 2015
Public Test Server Notes

We need your help! Prior to release on the live servers, this release will be made available for general public testing on a test server. The purpose of this server is to allow us to gain end-user feedback and bug testing on the release before we fully finalize the release. In order to make this release as good as we can, we need the Tribe&#8217;s community to help us test and to give feedback!
We currently expect the release to be placed onto the Public Test Server on or before September 14, 2015. Once the release is made available on PTS, we will publish installation and test instructions.
Feedback should be provided on the Tribes Reddit at https://www.reddit.com/r/Tribes/

New CTF Map
Terminus has been added to the game.
Added to the CTF All Maps rotation.
Only map in the &#8220;Featured&#8221; list.

Class Changes
&#8220;With these class changes we are bringing full build customization to Tribes:Ascend. We know this will leave some weapons statistically non-viable, or lead to some &#8216;broken&#8217; builds. These issues will be addressed in a future PTS balance patch. A main focus of this test is to identify the key balance issues created by this transition.&#8221;
All classes have been condensed to three choices; Light, Medium, and Heavy
Medium armor may now carry 3 weapons.
Heavy armor may now carry 4 weapons.
All weapon, armor, and perk upgrades have been removed from the game and are now included in the base stats.
Classes now have 9 loadouts
All loadouts are free.
Removed Primary and Secondary weapon equip restrictions.
Added a weapon class system to limit equipping of similar weapons in all weapon slots.

Added weapon classes:
&#8220;The weapon class system is to encourage well rounded builds by adding more weapon slots, but restricting like weapons from being equipped. This will allow more classic build combos like Disk + Chain + 1&#8221;
Automatics
Launchers
Rockets
Shotguns
Sidearms
Sniper Rifles
Spinfusors

Utility
Default items available under the old class system are now free.
&#8220;All original paid base class loadouts are now free. All roles are now available to free players from the beginning.&#8221;
Light
BXT1 Rifle
Claymores
Drop Jammer
Nova Blaster
Rhino SMG
SN7
Stealth Pack
Sticky Grenade
Medium
Arx Buster
EMP Grenade
Light Turret
NJ4 SMG
Repair Tool
Shield Pack
TCNG
TCN4 SMG
Heavy
Automatic Shotgun
Chaingun
Energy Pack (Brute)
Forcefield
Grenade
Heavy Spinfusor
Saber Launcher
Spike Grenade
NOTE: There are known usability issues and UI deficiencies associated with this transition that make it more difficult than it should be to both equip your weapons and to understand what you have equipped. There are also known bugs with the display on the HUD of your equipped weapons. We want to test this system on PTS prior to finalizing the User Interface, as feedback from testing could lead to changes in the overall design, which may in turn impact the user interface.

Gameplay
Added a looping sound to the stealth pack that is audible for everyone in range.
The following weapons have been converted from instant-fire to projectile.
Eagle Pistol
Nova Slug Pistol
Sparrow Pistol
All instant-fire weapons have had their impulse values removed.
All shotguns now have a defined shot pattern and spread with no accuracy loss between shots.
&#8220;Pellet numbers have been changed to support defined shot patterns per weapon and provide more guaranteed damage.&#8221;
Accurized Shotgun
Damage reduced to 60 per pellet.
Increased total pellet count to 9.
Shotgun
Damage reduced to 65 per pellet.
Holdout Shotgun
Damage reduced to 70 per pellet.
Sawed Off Shotgun
Damage reduced to 70 per pellet.
Autoshotgun
Damage reduced to 45 per pellet.
The Hammer
Damage reduced to 60 per pellet.

Misc.
Showing collision (aka hitbox toggling) has been fixed.
Fixed an issue with a material that caused flashing to occur with modified (aka flash ini) post process settings.
Fixed players being able to bypass level restrictions when joining specific servers.
Default field of view has been set to 120.
Weapons now default to Small Weapons setting.

UI
Fixed &#8220;Undefined&#8221; showing up in various parts of the main menu when changing loadouts.
Fixed level progression bar extending outside of its intended area.

Loved this game when it had people playing. Fired it up a couple of months ago and there didn't seem to be anyone playing so I uninstalled.

I have over 2500 hours in that game. And I just yesterday reinstalled it on my new computer. It's been only about a 1 1/2 months since I last played. and the where only about 30 servers running. Yesterday I saw about 87 servers up and running and a lot more people playing. I'm trying to not play anymore. It took my life away from other games.

Too bad hacking is rampant in the game. Once they abandoned the game they went crazy on the game

Back