Tribes - 20year anniversary free games

H-street

Supreme [H]ardness
Tribes turns 20

Hirez is giving away some of the old tribes games for free

http://www.tribesuniverse.com

Almost makes me sad to think pc has "modern shooters" that are already 20... At least when I look back at old console games they feel like they belong back there for nostalgia sake. Thanks for deal!

its been 20 years? What was the first one...googling...

ah it was some sort of mech game.

I remember Tribes 2 well. It was dead when I heard about it but was cool when I found a game or two. I remember trying the first one to just mess around with it but that was also mostly dead. I remember sucking at tribes 2 so hard. It was painful. I was more into other games in late 90s and early 2000.

Last edited:
its been 20 years? What was the first one...googling...

ah it was some sort of mech game.

I remember Tribes 2 well. It was dead when I heard about it but was cool when I found a game or two. I remember trying the first one to just mess around with it but that was also mostly dead. I remember sucking at tribes 2 so hard. It was painful. I was more into other games in late 90s and early 2000.

20th anniversary of Starseige, perhaps, but tribes as we know it, didn't start until 98. Built my first PC for that game in spring 1999.

Tribes isn't actually 20. The universe they inexplicably set it in is 20 (actually 21 since the first game landed in 1994).

I remember the first Tribes being a blast to play when it came out. I had just gotten DSL at a screaming 256kbps while everyone else was still on dial-up so sniping became awesomely easy. Good times. I played Tribes 2 very briefly (and with the Loki Linux port, no less) but never really got into it the way I did the first game. And I've never played any of the others except Ascend (which consumed almost all my unspoken for waking hours for a couple months). I wish Hi-Rez had kept working on that one instead of sucking away the dev time on Smite.

Earthsiege is 20.... Starsiege: Tribes came out in 1998.

P.S. Starsiege: Tribes sucked, it was Tribes 2 that really defined the series.

Heh, was just coming to make a thread about this, pretty cool of them to make this offer.

Tribes isn't actually 20. The universe they inexplicably set it in is 20 (actually 21 since the first game landed in 1994).

I remember the first Tribes being a blast to play when it came out. I had just gotten DSL at a screaming 256kbps while everyone else was still on dial-up so sniping became awesomely easy. Good times. I played Tribes 2 very briefly (and with the Loki Linux port, no less) but never really got into it the way I did the first game. And I've never played any of the others except Ascend (which consumed almost all my unspoken for waking hours for a couple months). I wish Hi-Rez had kept working on that one instead of sucking away the dev time on Smite.

dude I had ISDN until like 2005 -_- Freaking blew.

Dad paid out the ass for dual channel 128Kbps. HL updates took hours and hours at 16KBps

Heh, was just coming to make a thread about this, pretty cool of them to make this offer.

not like anyone would pay anything for those games anymore. I wouldn't even on GOG and I have bought like 1100 games just because. This way they got peopel interested and might even go play their new game.

Yeah I remember tribes 1 on 28.8 modem. Oh good times, that's then I made my gamertag "staticlag"

Back in the days before code to compensate for lag, had to really have good reflexes to learn how much to compensate for each player's lag when sniping.

Man tribes 2 was really ahead of its days. The game had a built in email system called Tribes Mail, it had built in IRC channels, your own customizable player profile page with BBCode support and a fully working clan system with ranks and chat channels. The modding was out of this world, so many server side mods that were incredible. I remember mods where people designed mech suits out of guns and level props and another mod that allowed you to build homes using props that were manipulated into different vector shapes. That game was just incredible how far it could be taken and really paved the way for modding in my opinion.

A lot of people would disagree but I am with you. Tribes wasn't terrible but T2 was a lot more user friendly.

I still have a bunch of voice pack and skin .vl2 files saved, some of which I created. Might fire them up for nostalgia.

Man tribes 2 was really ahead of its days. The game had a built in email system called Tribes Mail, it had built in IRC channels, your own customizable player profile page with BBCode support and a fully working clan system with ranks and chat channels. The modding was out of this world, so many server side mods that were incredible. I remember mods where people designed mech suits out of guns and level props and another mod that allowed you to build homes using props that were manipulated into different vector shapes. That game was just incredible how far it could be taken and really paved the way for modding in my opinion.

Yeah I loved the modding, was amazing.

Yeah I loved the modding, was amazing.

It's the only reason I can't get into Tribes Ascend :/ I never played much vanilla Tribes, I would always play War2003, Meltdown, Renegade, Construction or UltraXL(My favorite) mods.

Shazbot!

I will be checking to see if Tribes 2 has any population tonight. I enjoyed Tribes but Tribes 2 was so much better.

This is awesome, but I've a couple of concerns.

I actually have a 17-year-old T1 disc on a desk next to me. I can install it, but the game won't run unless I use some "t1Vista" executable to launch; I don't even know where I got the patch. I'm downloading this distro, but I wonder if it's been "GoG"ized to run on modern OSes or if I need to use that patch.

Regarding T2, I thought the official central servers had been offline for years now and superseded by a community effort called TribesNEXT. I wonder how this distro of T2 is supposed to connect.

I guess I'll find out when the downloads finish.

Man, I had some good times playing Tribes 2. It was the Shazbot back in the day. Some of the mods were incredible. I enjoyed the larger maps with vehicles. Please post if there are servers available.

Shazbot!

I will be checking to see if Tribes 2 has any population tonight. I enjoyed Tribes but Tribes 2 was so much better.

Unfortunately Sierra shutdown the master servers quite some time ago after Vivendi shut them down.

There are a few private master servers running. TribesNext is probably the most popular with around 50-200 active players on about 20 servers.

Reporting back.

It looks like T2 installs fine, and the Solo/Training is working. The Online/LAN launcher does kick back an error when the updater launches, but you can continue after the failed update.

However, when registering or editing an account:
3SkuWEm.jpg

So, if you are going to play T2 online, seek out http://tribesnext.com/ .
I just loaded that up fine... could use some non-NPC players, though :cool:
kwJxSUS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kwJxSUS.jpg

Hrm, I remember there was a 'nix dedicated server binary, but the patch relied on a phone-home server that may-or-may-not be working. Might work on getting that spun up this weekend, just for the nostalgia sake.

I still have the original Earthsiege disks and manual, it was one of my first games as a kid...great game along with tribes 1-2

tribes 2 was my favorite game of all time. i always wanted an invite to MV. and then found out that i actually got an invite like 18 months earlier and never noticed it.

the custom balance was fucking amazing. i want a graphical update. but i think the fog was really important to the gameplay.

I remember playing Tribes 1 back in the day, a buddy of mine and I would play together all the time. It was 100% pure hilarity. If he ever got behind the controls of an APC it was guaranteed to not end well.

Tribes 1 and Battlezone will be forever in my heart

Tribes 1 was pretty epic at the time; the scale of those maps was amazing at the time. And ski jumping was such an awesome way to get around!

I still have T2 installed on one of my XP systems. Loved that game. I haven't gotten into it in years, though.

Tribes was the game that got me into pc gaming. It's sad that to this day no games come close to the epic game play,complexity, modding,etc etc the tribes series provided.
Can anyone confirm that tribes 2,and vengeance work on windows 8.1? I never got around to playing tribes 2 online or veng singleplayer. The only newer online game I currently play is the new ftp unreal lol
Any1 remember this one: http://www.legionsoverdrive.com/ lol
BTW Veng asks for a serial code...lol

Last edited:
Earthsiege is 20.... Starsiege: Tribes came out in 1998.

You're high. Starsiege: Tribes was AWESOME!

Last edited by a moderator:
Starsiege was my favorite mech game and I still can't find one as good.

Wrong!!! Tribes 2 was full of fuck ups, it didn't define JACK SHIT.

You're high. Starsiege: Tribes was AWESOME!

^^THIS^^ 1000000000000000%..Tribes was one of my favorite games, and I was extremely good at it..I loved the fact that everyone was always polite to others, if you pulled off an insane kill like a sniper shot while flying in an APC the dead player would often remark on the level of skill needed for the kill. Now, you would get cussed for 10 minutes straight..

I remember how silky smooth my V3 3000 AGP ran tribes..I was even more excited for the OpenGL patch that allowed me to use my TNT...

Tribes 1 was one of the best games EVER! Tribes 2 got off on a rockey start but eventually turned itself around and matured into equal of it's predecessor. But with Tribes 1 laying down the foundation so well Tribes 2 had big shoes to fill.

I loved them both. TV and TA felt like crap compared to the first two. I did play a BIT of TV but eventually went back to T1/T2. I put more time into TA than TV. Man.. need a T2 reboot that isn't Halo.

We really need another innovative tribes like pc game...those were the golden years of pc gaming...

I have original disks for both Starsiege 2 and Tribes 2. I'm definitely going to download and install these so a couple buddies of mine can play on our retro gaming rigs. :D

Back