Tribes 2 Review On PC Gamer.

Puterguru

2[H]4U
I miss this game... http://www.pcgamer.com/review/tribes-2-review-june-2001-us-edition/

There was something extremely enjoyable about flying, predicting where somewhere else that was flying was going to land and then shooting them all in a wide open outside map.

Does anyone here still play the game? I believe I downloaded the full version a week or so ago as its freely available. Did they make anything after this that was worth playing or that people still play?

Oh god the nostalgia :( This was the game that really got me into PC gaming. I used to play religiously before and after school. It was my life and I developed so many great relationships that I wish I remembered before T-Mail got shutdown and then finally the master servers. R.I.P.

[XT] 4LIFE!

This was the game that showed me my brand new Voodoo 5 just wasn't going to be enough and forced me to go out and buy a Geforce 3.

I wonder when that review was made in relation to when the game was released, because IIRC Tribes 2 was horribly buggy at release and required a huge patch or two to fix it.

I wonder when that review was made in relation to when the game was released, because IIRC Tribes 2 was horribly buggy at release and required a huge patch or two to fix it.

If I remember there was a patch, one that made things worse. Then another patch to fix the patch that made things worse.:p

Maybe I'll install and create a game with a bunch of bots...

I recall the elephant gun when fired would take down servers when it first came out..

I recall the elephant gun when fired would take down servers when it first came out..

I remember during the tutorial mode, as soon as that Bioderm launched his rocket my game would crash.

Those early days were pretty rough in that game (and their ingame message boards were flooded with 'Goku vs Superman' threads).

Yeah, sad how fast that went downhill...

I thought that game was very fun and great for F2P too. I loved playing CTF. I ended up spending $10, but I put over 100 hours into that game which is either third or fourth most on my Steam library.

The original tribes was better but 2 was still fun. They should update the graphics and everyone should start playing again :)

My first true PC FPS experience - technically, my first was a cheap, singleplayer Win95 game that came with a box of cheerios a few years before Tribes 2 was released lol. And one of the best FPS games ever made as far as I am concerned. It is really sad that there is still nothing made since that has improved upon (or even re-visited) that style of gameplay.

I loved... LOVED Tribes..

Hard to believe the Smite developers abandoned it ENTIRELY with like a months notice. The new one is actually good but needs tweaking which won't happen.

Also sad that PC Gamer is not the industry "apologist" for all the bad behavior publishers/developers commit now. PC Gamer is a shell .. maybe even less than that .. of its former self.

Tribes was my first ever true online pc gaming experience. I still remember playing it for the first time at a friends house. At the time I didn't know how to build a computer so at once I told my friend to build me one specifically to run tribes lol. At first It was so disorienting, but I kept trying until I got good. If it wasnt for tribes I might have never learned how to build computers! Still sucks that online pc gaming has not gotten any better than the old tribes games..Miss the adrenaline pump from chasing the flag carrier or mid air discing some1. Can't someone come up with something that innovative, fresh, and addictive again? Calling all pc developers out!!!!!

Last edited:
I loved... LOVED Tribes..

Hard to believe the Smite developers abandoned it ENTIRELY with like a months notice. The new one is actually good but needs tweaking which won't happen.

Yeah, I am surprised...it had a lot of potential. I guess maybe they weren't making enough money off of the F2P model? They should have just released it as a full game (maybe not $60 since it's online only).

I installed it last night. Maxed out all of the settings and set up a Deathmatch Bot Game. Had lots of fun. Would prefer to kick some real peoples butts though.:D

I lost my disc years ago, but I recall loving it except for one little issue - a high draw distance would turn the game into a slideshow, which was problematic when you had a sniper that could crank it up but you couldn't actually see him.

you are correct, "Unhandled Exception" dialog boxes and subsequent CTD's were awesome on release day :D

(still played the living hell out of it)

Tribes 2 brings back memories....of possibly the worst product launch in PC gaming. If I recall correctly, they launched four patches in the first 24 hours. If you were unlucky enough to have installed the 3rd patch, there was a good chance it would corrupt your OS, lol.

my favorite game of all time.
there was and still is nothing like it.
128 player ctf was the best.
arena was great as well.
you can still find arena games with a few players in them.

there was nothing as satisfying as a havoc full of heavies destroying an enemies base.

Well I thought that I could create a server and have people join. It appears to be only LAN games though. Will try it out possibly with my brother tomorrow.

Also loved Tribes 1 more than 2. We ran several servers, mostly shifter mod, so much fun. Then two came out and we tried to move to it but most of our players didn't care for it.

Same here Seelenlos . Tribes 2 didn't capture the feel of tribes 1. Basically everything after the original failed to.. But regardless tribes was a cult hit with such a small following mainly bc of the skill level involved. Most people couldn't handle having to ski, jet, and shoot all at the same time but wow was it a rush and new element of game play! This is still the biggest issue with pc gaming..game play is never evolving only the graphics get better and it feels like your playing the same fps over and over. I still feel this type of video game has huge potential..

The reason Tribes 2 was so great was the mods. The mods were incredibly creative and fun as hell. Construction Mod, War2003, Mechanical, T2Meltdown, Xtreme Mod, so much fun!

Tribes Renegades mod!

Yep, Tribes 1 and the Renegades mod was the shit. I could never like Tribes 2 because it wasn't as good as Tribes 1 + Renegades. Couldn't stick with 2 long enough for good mods to come out for it.

Being a sniper in Tribes took more skill then anything else I have ever played.

Back