TRIAC AC frequency limits?

Elledan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2010
For a TRIAC like the BT138, at what frequency would distortion of the AC voltage begin to occur? In other words, what is the maximum 'frequency' of the TRIAC?

Together with a friend (EE graduate) I have tried to find such information in the datasheets of multiple TRIACs, but without luck. Now, assuming that the performance of a TRIAC will be similar to that of a transistor (being similar technology, namely npnp), it would be logical to assume that this 'switching' of a TRIAC between the polarizations could be done with microsecond speeds.

How far off are we? :)

This PDF explains the parameters found on the datasheet.
Parameters Explained
Depending on how you are switching the gate voltage will determine the maximum frequency. I would pay attention to the dv/dt and di/dt ratings as well as the turn on time and delay time.
If you plan on latching the gate voltage high, I am not sure there is an answer.

Thank you, that PDF explained everything :)

For one TRIAC we have the datasheet of (MAC97 series), dV/dt is specified as 25 V/us. This means that this TRIAC can at least support a much higher frequency than the 50/60 Hz it is usually used for. Very reassuring :)

Back