Tri 480 GTX to AMD 7990

thegamer36

Weaksauce
I am looking for advice. I game on a 30" monitor 2560x1600. I am currently running 3x480 GTX video cards with water cooling. With the prices of the Radeon HD 7990 coming down to $550 or so, is the upgrade worth it? Just a FYI, I would also water cool the 7990.

Thanks.

I'd see what the 290X offers before making any jump tbh. At baseline the 7990 will use less power at least, but I'm not sure how the CF experience would compare to Tri-SLI.

I am going to have to agree with Mr.K6. Wait and see what the 290x has to offer before you go for a dual GPU card.

Yeah I have 2 480's in SLI and I am waiting to see what 290x brings. If anything it might make Nvidia lower their prices some..

At this point everybody should be waiting till the month is over or just picking up a second or third or fourth:D card for now. which is what im thinking of doing:cool:

I might just get rid of 1 card lol. What can an overclocked 7950 not run at 1080p. Even bf4 ran at 50+fps with an overclocked single card. My eyes dont really notice a difference after 60fps anyways. Its the buttery smoothness and no screen tearing that draws me to 120-144hz monitors. Plus I want to move to a bitfenix prodigy and mini itx board. No sound card is a BIG turn off tho.

Last edited:
I might just get rid of 1 card lol. What can an overclocked 7950 not run at 1080p. Even bf4 ran at 50+fps with an overclocked single card. My eyes dont really notice a difference after 60fps anyways. Its the buttery smoothness and no screen tearing that draws me to 120-144hz monitors. Plus I want to move to a bitfenix prodigy and mini itx board. No sound card is a BIG turn off tho.

I'm not sure how high you can take your cards O/C, but I was playing on a full 64 player map with all Ultra, 4XMSSA, no post processing and 0 Motion Blur @ 1080P..With my card clocked @ 1.3Ghz/1.7Ghz, game play was mostly in the 65-80FPS range, but I did see a few deep spikes down around the ~42-45FPS mark..It was by no means unplayable, but DICE claims there are supposed to be quite a few visual effects/eye candy that were left out of the beta on purpose IIRC..

If you currently already have 2 of them, I don't see a point in trying to sell it at THIS time...Unless it is a golden sample like mine (and some others here) I just don't see you making any decent money on it..You are going to get nothing but "We'll I'll give you $120 since they are only $180 new blah blah"..

I would wait and see how polished the actual game is, and then see if the "Mantle" update actually does anything first..If it does, awesome, then sell your 2nd one off..If not well, you are already covered...The other incentive to holding onto your second card for now is that it looks like AMD isn't going to risk cutting into their R9 280X sales by releasing a GPU that is ~5-10% slower AT BEST like they did this time around...This should actually cause a slight rise in prices on the used market since many people aren't going to want to pay $300 for an R9 280X for X-Fire vs a ~$175-200 7950..

To late sold it for $175 lol. I'm not to worried about it. Might grab a 290 once they finally release. They said the same thing about bf3. Remember ? Ultra is really high blah blah. There was no diff on release. I call bs. I think 290 will fit right where the 7950 did last round. Little over clocking and you'll be well over 290x performance.

Last edited:
To late sold it for $175 lol. I'm not to worried about it. Might grab a 290 once they finally release. They said the same thing about bf3. Remember ? Ultra is really high blah blah. There was no diff on release. I call bs. I think 290 will fit right where the 7950 did last round. Little over clocking and you'll be well over 290x performance.

Well that answers that lol..You could have posted before I wrote that huge wall of text you know!:p:p..

As far as the 290/290X situation, on that we fully agree..If the leaked specs are the same, then we have the exact same situation with the 7950/7970..The lower SP count doesn't really hurt performance much, and is gone when a mild o/c on the 290 (this is assuming this GPU die scales like Tahatiti did which the leaks seem to support)..

But do you see my reasoning as far as the R8 280X goes? AMD is forcing you to pay $100 to jump from the lower mid end to the top..There is no step 2, no pass go, nothing..I think the bean counters must assume that they will get better margins since they don't want to sell an R9 275(X) @ ~$175-200..That is where the 270 is sitting, which is NOT a good deal..

The other alternative is that maybe they think Nvidia is going to counter with a new 760TI SKU, or even push the 770 down in the 770TI "price bracket so to say" and let the 770TI take the 770's spot..The problem is that I don't see Nvidia cutting their margins that low on the fully mature GK104 dies since they should be rolling out with very little defects at this point...The lowest I would see them price a 760TI/770 push down would be $300, which means it would compete with the R9 280X anyway..

Anyone who buys a card at this point with 2gb 256 bit would be crazy. Bf4 at 1080p was sitting at about 1.9mb per GPU and at 1440p was at about 2.2-2.3gb per GPU. If bf4 is anything like bf3 that would make for pretty bad stutter at 1440p on a couple of those 2gb 256bit cards. Should be fine with msaa off. Ran into that prob with a pair of 1gb 560ti cards in bf3. Max settings was over 100fps most of the time but microstutter constant. Had to run high with msaa off to lower vram usage and solve the issue. Same settings ran fine with high frames on 1 card so defeated the purpose of having 2. I have a feeling a lot more games will come in the near future that will slaughter 2gb of vram.

Anyone who buys a card at this point with 2gb 256 bit would be crazy. Bf4 at 1080p was sitting at about 1.9mb per GPU and at 1440p was at about 2.2-2.3gb per GPU. If bf4 is anything like bf3 that would make for pretty bad stutter at 1440p on a couple of those 2gb 256bit cards. Should be fine with msaa off. Ran into that prob with a pair of 1gb 560ti cards in bf3. Max settings was over 100fps most of the time but microstutter constant. Had to run high with msaa off to lower vram usage and solve the issue. Same settings ran fine with high frames on 1 card so defeated the purpose of having 2. I have a feeling a lot more games will come in the near future that will slaughter 2gb of vram.

you werent hitting over 100 fps in mp games maybe sp and even that i have a hard time believing

Ya I was and I said most of the time not all the time. There were always dips. No cpu is capable of minimum 100fps. 2 560ti was pretty powerful. Wasn't my point anyways no reason to be ignorant.

Heh at 1600p I need moar power. 2x OC 7950 still falls below 60fps even on old games like Sleeping Dogs.

Can't wait for 2x R9 290X and a 39" 4K. Probably won't be much worth getting beyond that... except maybe 3x 39" 4K.

Back