Treo 800w Observations

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Lost amid all the iPhone 3G hullabaloo is Palm’s upcoming Treo 800w. Treo fans should head over to TreoCentral to get the latest on the new phone. I loved my Treo 650 til it died last month. I’ve got an LG Voyager but I really miss the contact list on the Treo.

Palm OS= fail.

I've had more problems with getting the Palm OS to sync up with our Exchange server than I can shake a stick at... Resorted to using POP/SMTP access just to get it to work.

Windows Mobile, while it has its issues, works a TON easier from the end-user standpoint, the Active Sync support (which Palm doesn't fully support on these- although the 800w may be different) is superior to anything else out there.

I had many Palm devices, including several Treo models. Each held new promise of being what I needed. However, I have found that the Blackberry Pearl is the best combination of telephone, contact information, email and web access for my pattern of use. I still use it primarily as a phone and secondarily for email and web access. The Treo never lived up to being a phone all that well in my opinion.

Blackberry's suck at life with email... No Active Sync. Unless you spend thousands on a BES license, a hundred bucks per line, and then a monthly fee :rolleyes:

That- and if it cannot hit the server, it unvalidates itself and it won't try again. You have to re-validate the damn thing to get it to start getting email again.

And no email sync schedule.

Otherwise, BBs are pretty solid IMO.

My blackjack 2 is by far the best phone I've ever had. All the PDA's at my company are the BJ2, I'm very happy and windows mobile 6 pro is by far their best release. It was a nightmare for me managing the other PDA's, always had problems.

Palm OS= fail.

I've had more problems with getting the Palm OS to sync up with our Exchange server than I can shake a stick at... Resorted to using POP/SMTP access just to get it to work.

Windows Mobile, while it has its issues, works a TON easier from the end-user standpoint, the Active Sync support (which Palm doesn't fully support on these- although the 800w may be different) is superior to anything else out there.
The "W" at the end of the model number signifies that it is WM based, WM6.1 Pro to be exact. The Palm OS versions end with "P."

I recently got an HTC Touch via Sprint SERO but I'm thinking of taking it back for the 800W as I'm not sure I can get used to the scant amount of hard keys on the Touch.

Specs for those that care:
Radio
CDMA 800 (Digital Cellular), 1900 (PCS), and 1.5GHz (GPS)
EVDO and 1XRTT
Phone Features
Personal speakerphone
MicroUSB standard B connector (2.0-compliant; for sync cable, charger, and audio accessories)
External antenna port
Microphone mute option
3-way calling
HAC compatible (M4/T4 rating)
Processor technology
TI processor, 333MHz
Expansion
microSD/SDHC card slot
Battery
Rechargeable lithium-ion
Removable for replacement
3 hours to be fully charged
Operating system
Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional
Camera
Still image capture resolution: 1600 x 1200, 2.0 megapixel
Automatic light balance
Size
4.41 in. x 2.28 in. x 0.73 in. (112mm x 58mm x 18.5mm)
Weight
4.94 ounces (140 grams)
Operating and storage temperture range
32°F to 113°F (0°C to 45°C)
5% to 90% RH
Connectivity
Wi-Fi (802.11b/g and 802.11i-compliant)
Infrared (1.2-compliant)
Bluetooth® wireless technology (Complies with Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
specification. Supports GAP, GOEP [OBEX], SPP, SDAP, OPP, HSP, HFP 1.5, A2DP, AVRCP, PAN, PBAP, ActiveSync, and BPP.)
Display
320 x 320 pixel touch-sensitive LCD screen (includes stylus)
65,536 colors (16-bit color)
User-adjustable brightness
Keyboard
Built-in QWERTY keyboard plus 5-way navigator
Backlight for low lighting conditions
Included software
Today/Phone (includes Speed Dial and Dial Pad)
Messaging (text and email)
Internet Explorer Mobile (Web browser)
Maps
Camera
Pictures & Videos
Windows Media Player Mobile
File Explorer
Contacts
Calendar
Tasks
Notes
Calculator
ActiveSync
Microsoft Direct Push technology
Windows Live
Excel Mobile
Word Mobile
PowerPoint Mobile
OneNote Mobile
Handmark Pocket Express
Solitaire
Bubble Breaker
Sudoku
Aces Texas Hold'em Limit
Voice Command
My Treo
Quick Tour
Search
Terminal Services
Picsel PDF Viewer
Sprite Backup
Bejeweled 2 (on CD)
WorldMate (on CD)

Product
Treo 800w
Operating System
Windows Mobile Professional 6.1
Carrier
Sprint
Source

Blackberry's suck at life with email... No Active Sync. Unless you spend thousands on a BES license, a hundred bucks per line, and then a monthly fee :rolleyes:

That- and if it cannot hit the server, it unvalidates itself and it won't try again. You have to re-validate the damn thing to get it to start getting email again.

And no email sync schedule.

Otherwise, BBs are pretty solid IMO.

you don't need BES. You can use their own service via BIS (blackberry internet service). It works great for me. I get my work emails on my blackberry within several seconds after recieving it in outlook.

The "W" at the end of the model number signifies that it is WM based, WM6.1 Pro to be exact. The Palm OS versions end with "P."
That's what I would have thought, but this looks a helluva lot like Treo software to me:
1215793278.gif

you don't need BES. You can use their own service via BIS (blackberry internet service). It works great for me. I get my work emails on my blackberry within several seconds after recieving it in outlook.
BIS != ActiveSync/Exchange

"edit" of sorts...
This one actually on Sprint's website, I'd agree is WM based. However judging from the photos provided on Treo Central- I wouldn't agree with it:

PTR800HK_LPI.gif

Styletap is a POS emulator for Win Mobile, that's why the pics looks the way they do.

I can't wait till they stop making 700wx's. Then mine will get broken and I'll upgrade to the 800w

That's what I would have thought, but this looks a helluva lot like Treo software to me:
[-IMG]http://www.treocentral.com/images/admin_uploaded/1215793278.gif[/IMG]

The 800w is a WinMo 6.1 phone. I played with it today at the Sprint store.

EVDO, GPS, WiFi & Bluetooth all packed into a Palm package. Sweet stuff. I ordered one the other day, and it should be here NLT Monday.

[/IMG]http://www.treocentral.com/images/admin_uploaded/1215793278.gif[/IMG]

Oops, I forgot to put in my previous post that StyleTap lets you run Palm OS® Applications on Windows Mobile® PDAs and Smartphones.

So yeah, you see Palm apps running in that middle pic there, but it's an emulator within the WinMo 6.1 OS.

Hopefully Palm's "Nova" OS-in-development will bring the PalmOS from circa Windows 3.1 vintage appearance even up with or even past the current crop of Windows Mobile environments, not to mention what BlackBerry and Apple are running on their handsets. This post here indicates Matias Duarte - the UI guru behind the Sidekick and Ocean interface - is working as Palm’s Senior Director, Human Interface and User Experience. Hopefully he'll be able to work some magic with Palm's long-overdue OS revision.

My main question is RAM... Does it have plenty? I am tired of all these phones with so little RAM...

just got my 800w... absolutely loving it.

right now with a good amount of extra stuff installed i'm showing 141/170mb storage free on the phone and 64/100mb program memory free. i have a microSD 512mb in there for some extra storage, but the phone will support up to 8gb of microSD.

I installed the latest citrix ICA client.... and holy shit i got a full desktop connection to the citrix farm at the office. i'm totally sold on the phone just for that, let alone the slingbox, streaming xmradio, google calendar and email sync. :D:D:D

Back