Treasury Dept: Tor a Big Source of Bank Fraud

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new report from the U.S. Treasury Department claims that Tor is a "big source of bank fraud." If you use Tor, chances are you are a crook! You use Tor and BitTorrent? There's already a warrant out for your arrest. ;)

In the report, released on Dec. 2, 2014, FinCEN said it examined some 6,048 suspicious activity reports (SARs) filed by banks between August 2001 and July 2014, searching the reports for those involving one of more than 6,000 known Tor network nodes. Investigators found 975 hits corresponding to reports totaling nearly $24 million in likely fraudulent activity.

So two wrongs make a right? No one doubts the government wastes money, but the data doesn't lie. And why wouldn't fraudsters use TOR? It's definitely a red flag.

So two wrongs make a right? No one doubts the government wastes money, but the data doesn't lie. And why wouldn't fraudsters use TOR? It's definitely a red flag.

why wouldnt fraudsters use the phone?
why wouldnt fraudsters use the internet?
why wouldnt fraudsters use electricity?
why wouldnt fraudsters use roads and highways?
why wouldnt fraudsters use cars?

are you catching my drift here?

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1041281963 said:
"Screwdrivers a big source of car theft; regulatory action imminent, more news at 11"

WATER NOW BANNED AFTER THE 100 MILLION MARK REACHED IN DROWNINGS! STOCK UP ON URINE!

reading the link,

"among 6048 suspicious activity reports, 975 came from Tor nodes".

Those figures became the reported

"a majority of bank account takeovers by cyberthieves over the past decade might have been thwarted had affected institutions known to look for and block transactions coming through Tor"".

English is not my mother language, but since when 1/6 is "a majority"?

WATER NOW BANNED AFTER THE 100 MILLION MARK REACHED IN DROWNINGS! STOCK UP ON URINE!

Don't kid, dihydrogen monoxide is some scary shit. 100% of people that consume it will die, so we need to get that shit regulated pronto.

why wouldnt fraudsters use the phone?
why wouldnt fraudsters use the internet?
why wouldnt fraudsters use electricity?
why wouldnt fraudsters use roads and highways?
why wouldnt fraudsters use cars?

are you catching my drift here?

Yeah, and it's wrong. If only a very small minority of my customers are using TOR, and a significant (25%+) of those TOR logins end up being fraudulent, this reaction is prudent. And that's absolutely the case today.

Back