Traveling (Flying) with my Laptop

DeChache

Supreme [H]ardness
I will be flying for the first time with my laptop on Thursday. Is there anything I need to know. I plan on carrying it in my backpack.

Sorry this is rather vague but I don't really know what to expect if some of you guys fly with a laptop on a regular basis could give me a few hints or tips it would be much appreciated.

I live in the US if that matters.

They always make me take my laptop out of the case for some reason before passing it through the x-ray machine.

They always make me take my laptop out of the case for some reason before passing it through the x-ray machine.

That's standard procedure. It just makes it easier for the machine to see all of the fiddly bits inside the laptop in more detail so they can see things that shouldn't be there easier.

Other than that, just conserve battery power as much as possible is a good tip.
And please please please turn off that wireless in flight if you have wireless on your laptop. Trust me when I say that it (and any other form of radio) can cause serious problems up front. Not that these problems can't be dealt with by the pilots, but it's damned annoying.

And please please please turn off that wireless in flight if you have wireless on your laptop. Trust me when I say that it (and any other form of radio) can cause serious problems up front. Not that these problems can't be dealt with by the pilots, but it's damned annoying.

Will do.

i flew from holland to india and back a few months ago, went on IT training, so i took my laptop with me.

security at amsterdam airport (thats in holland ;) ) had me open the sleeve to show there was an actual laptop in there (aside from Xraying it off course). security at indira ghandi international (new delhi airport for international flights) didnt even make me open my bag iirc, just X-rayed it

have to add though, i never used my laptop while in flight, thanks to KLM having the inseat entertainment system in their 777s

my only tip would be making sure the lappy is well protected against bumps, like using a good laptop pack or sleeve, but that goes for all sorts of laptop travel

i dont know how strict US airport security is though

have it ready to be pulled out of your bag and onto it's own tray before you get to the front of the line. Most airlines will not allow you to hold the lappy or put it in the pocket infront of you during takeoff or landings.

FFS, use headphones if you listen to music while you do work. I was on a flight that got delayed on the tarmac for 4 hours. I was very tired from a business trip. Some punk 13 year old was blasting music through his laptop while I was trying to sleep. I almost beat the crap out of him.

I'm not planing on using it on the plane so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm mainly worried about getting threw security with it. So I should have it out of my bag and ready to be scanned when I get towards the front of security.

I am also flying with my new laptop for the first time on monday. I am ripping dvds to my HDD since the dvd drive uses up a lot of battery. Turning off you wireless card will also save a lot of battery. But you said you will not be using it durning flight so these may not be issues for you. Have a safe trip.

Always keep the laptop with you under the seat in front of you, or between your legs. NEVER put it in the overhead bins. People are so rude, they will take your bag and move it, smash it, or pull it out all together to make room for their shit. Don't carry a laptop bag thats so big that a stewardess will make you put it in the cargo bay.

Oh, and none of the emissions from a laptop, including the wireless radio or EVDO module will affect the avionics of a commercial airplane. This has been tested numerous times and is purely FUD. Non-hardened avionics in non-FAA certified aircraft are another story. . .

Oh, and none of the emissions from a laptop, including the wireless radio or EVDO module will affect the avionics of a commercial airplane. This has been tested numerous times and is purely FUD. Non-hardened avionics in non-FAA certified aircraft are another story. . .

Oh really? Have you ever experienced it for yourself? I'm just curious where you're getting your information.

Don't mean to thread cap.. this is slightly on topic.

Ugh.. This is one myth the mythbusters really goofed on IMO.

Here's the information I've had on it. I'm a pilot myself. Not a commercial pilot yet, but that's the ultimate goal. In a small plane whenever there are cellphones on in the plane it usually causes massive amounts of interference with the comm radios. Now are the systems on commercial aircraft more hardened against this sort of thing? Well yes and no.. The actual equipment they use for the radios, etc, isn't that much different that what's in use in small aircraft; they're just more powerful. I've heard many stories from friends who are actual commercial pilots about someone using a cellphone in the back causing problems with the radios (they've had the F/A's go back through the cabin and find someone talking on their cellphone; cellphone off, problem gone). I've even heard a story of someone that someone was using one of those old brick cellphones in flight, and it caused the autopilot to refuse to engage until they found the cell and shut it off.

Although I've never heard of any stories involving laptop's wireless radios causing interference, I'm assuming that it's also possible unless there's some strange property that 802.11 has that I don't know about that would make it different.

Not trying to start an argument here, just presenting what I know about the subject. Hell, I could be wrong, I'm no expert on radios and their effects.

i did the same thing for the first time two months ago
All they make you do is take your laptop out of your case/bag and place it into one of those plastic bins. Then they pass it through the xray machine and then you can put it back in your bag/case.

You do not have to turn it on and they do not inspect/touch it at all.

Hope this helps

~Arules

That's standard procedure. It just makes it easier for the machine to see all of the fiddly bits inside the laptop in more detail so they can see things that shouldn't be there easier.

Other than that, just conserve battery power as much as possible is a good tip.
*cough*full of shit*cough*

There are quite a few carriers offering in-flight WiFi now on their international flights.

-bZj

Right, cause that's approved. And they've taken steps to make sure there's no interference caused. Take it easy though, you'll damage my massive ego :p

as others have said, you'll probably have to remove it and place it in a plastic bin. I even had mine inspected by hand, which was fine, because they did it while I was putting my shoes back on :rolleyes:

Back