Trapped Girls Call for Help via Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know society is heading in the wrong direction when the first thing you do after becoming trapped in a storm drain is update your Facebook status. I have to cut them some slack this time though because we’re talking about kids that were 10 and 12 years old.

"If they were able to access Facebook from their mobile phones, they could have called 000, so the point being they could have called us directly and we could have got there quicker than relying on someone being online and replying to them and eventually having to call us via 000 anyway."

You know society is heading in the wrong direction when the first thing you do after becoming trapped in a storm drain is update your Facebook status.

At first glance of the headline, I thought to myself " well......at least facebook is good for something. After reading the story, I officially withdraw that thought, and relegate facebook back the the trash pile.

AND...I seriously weep for the future.

or failure of society to teach about dialing the #. kids did a pretty good job and they are alive...

[H] members are ignorant too...
-1 for being annoying.

or failure of society to teach about dialing the #. kids did a pretty good job and they are alive...

-1 for being annoying.

Sorry, i thought 911 was more common, i mean, its on the side of EVERY cop car in the US

-1 for being annoying.

How can you group up to 10-12 yo and not know about 911?

-1 for being annoying.

Blame society??? Thats straight hippy talk, It bad parenting if your kids dont know how to dial 911 at the age of 10 or 12.

This might be a newsflash for some of us old people but kids today don't use the phone to make calls. They text. WTF is what I think but they would really rather type out a message for help then make a call. I think 911 is going to have get on Twitter and Facebook eventually.

"OMGZ LOLZ Like I totally fell down a drain after that skank Courtney threw my purse in the water cause I called here a skank and stuff. Like now I'm stuck down here and stuff, can like someone like come get me out or something?

oh yeah dont blame society blame parents sorry... havn't watched southpark in awhile forget who to blame!

This might be a newsflash for some of us old people but kids today don't use the phone to make calls. They text. WTF is what I think but they would really rather type out a message for help then make a call. I think 911 is going to have get on Twitter and Facebook eventually.

actually 911 is going that way.

They are working on redoing everything so that 911 will be accessable via land line, cell phones, email, IM,... and know exactly where you are when you contact them.

I sat through a webinar on it late last year

Communities spend a lot of money and resources on emergency services. Honestly, it should be instinctive to dial their local emergency number instead of going onto <insert social networking site here> Why rely on a third party to send a message when you can directly get a hold of emergency services yourself. This story reminds me of someone having a phone asking what the number is for 911.

The whole story is so ridiculous that I wouldn't be surprised if it was an attention seeking publicity stunt.People have done dumber things to get their 15 minutes of fame.

-1 for being annoying.

I knew about 911 (I'm American) by 12. Pretty sure a middle school aged kid in Australian has heard of 000 (their equivalent) before.

I knew about 911 (I'm American) by 12. Pretty sure a middle school aged kid in Australian has heard of 000 (their equivalent) before.

I knew about 911 at age 6. These two are 10 and 12 and armed with cellphones. Who the fuck failed in teaching them how to properly use them?

They knew about the number. They probably just wanted their parents or something to get them out because it wasn't that serious.

I knew about 911 at age 6. These two are 10 and 12 and armed with cellphones. Who the fuck failed in teaching them how to properly use them?

Yeah I'm pretty sure I knew about it by kindergarden. If I can figure out how to get to facebook I'm pretty sure I could place a call. At worst to a friend instead of posting on facebook.

In their defense - there are areas where you can't get a voice call out, but texts work fine. However, updating Facebook, is stupid, why didn't they try and get a hold of their parents?

Random useful fact - in the time period after an earthquake, don't try and place a phone call, won't work. However, texts will more than likely go thru, because the bandwith requirements are much lower.

In their defense - there are areas where you can't get a voice call out, but texts work fine. However, updating Facebook, is stupid, why didn't they try and get a hold of their parents?

Random useful fact - in the time period after an earthquake, don't try and place a phone call, won't work. However, texts will more than likely go thru, because the bandwith requirements are much lower.

Who's to say they were REALLY, 'time to panic' it's an emergency lost? They might have just put up "Lost in drain, will be late. See you later than expected."

I don't use Facebook, but if I was accustomed to telling people where I was at all times I could see "I'm lost, will be late" being something you might put up, yet still not think of it as an 'emergency better call 911' situation.

Who's to say they were REALLY, 'time to panic' it's an emergency lost? They might have just put up "Lost in drain, will be late. See you later than expected."

I don't use Facebook, but if I was accustomed to telling people where I was at all times I could see "I'm lost, will be late" being something you might put up, yet still not think of it as an 'emergency better call 911' situation.

exactly what i was thinking.. 10 and 12 yo's arent exactly mature.. they could have been down there and making a joke out of it and someone sees it and it snowballs from there...

actually 911 is going that way.

They are working on redoing everything so that 911 will be accessable via land line, cell phones, email, IM,... and know exactly where you are when you contact them.

I sat through a webinar on it late last year

That would be awesome. I was asked the other day what do we deaf people do when we need to dial 911? I never thought of that before, so I said I haven't a damn clue.

Text-based 911 would be greatly welcomed.

Carrier pigeons are better.

That would be awesome. I was asked the other day what do we deaf people do when we need to dial 911? I never thought of that before, so I said I haven't a damn clue.

It's called a Telexet device.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_devices_for_the_deaf
They've had this since avout the 70s. At least in the US, 911 centers are equipped with TTY/TDD operators and there are relay services that caters to the deaf. We already spend money for this kind of stuff why throw even more money when we don't need to.

Even if you're deaf, dial 911 from a land line. You can either leave the line open so the dispatcher can hear what's going on (assuming it a hysterical situtation) or hang up after a minute. They will either call back or dispatch an officer to check out the situation. Either way, they will have your address through the phone company. cell phones are more spotty, as e911 doesn't resolve the call location to an address. This is all assuming you can't get to a TTY machine to call a service.

What is a 10-12 year old doing with a facebook page? Don't they have an age restriction of 13-15 or something?

You don't need to do much, if they get a dead air call from 911 they have to physically visit the location. I have taken lots of calls from deaf people using text/video relay services too, I would imagine the relay people could help you too.

We don't carry a TTY around with us, thank you for playing.

You might be carrying a similar device and not even know it. If you happen to carry around a Sprint phone (for the texting or data usage) when you try to text a noncell-phone Sprint calls the number you texted, and synthesizes a message for the person with what you typed.

YOU may not carry one, but a deaf person will most likely have one. As mentioned earlier there are TTY/TDD capable phones/pdas/etc.

I don't carry a phone. How does 911 work for those of us that don't carry phones?!?!

See where I'm going with this?
Besides, you don't really need to give input when you call 911. They'll hunt you down if you just call and say nothing.

On a side note, they should set up a 911 text service.

YOU may not carry one, but a deaf person will most likely have one. As mentioned earlier there are TTY/TDD capable phones/pdas/etc.

huh, interesting. I'll have to tell all my deaf friends that you think everyone's carrying one.

:p

Seriously though, I'll have to contact AT&T and ask them if my Blackberry has similar functions. I was not aware of this. In fact I think a lot of us aren't aware of this. You think I haven't asked my friends? I'm not the only one who doesn't know, and I'm the tech savvy one. I think that says a lot.

-1 for being annoying.

How can you group up to 10-12 yo and not know about 911?

oh yeah dont blame society blame parents sorry... havn't watched southpark in awhile forget who to blame!

What is a 10-12 year old doing with a facebook page? Don't they have an age restriction of 13-15 or something?
Jroe you're wrong. This is not about either using Facebook or using the phone. This is about kids not being thought how to think in the first place. They simply went for the communication way they're more familiar with. I bet that in that stressful situation they didn't even thought about the words "Emergency Number". That or they are not telling us something, like the kids not having access to phone calls but still having access to 3G navigation, in which case what they did was genius.

Back