Transferring files slow computer to computer on LAN

Edgar

2[H]4U
Hello. Having an annoying problem that I'm not sure how to fix.

I download media to my main computer. Then I transfer it to my media server. When it transfers it maxes out at 15 mb/s. When it should be a little over 100 mb/s. How would I go about fixing it?

Both are connected to the router which is gigabit. Hard drives are nowhere near being full.

Router is asus rt-3200. Is there a setting that I need to check?

Check your network first with iperf, to see if the bottleneck is the network or not.
https://iperf.fr/

I'm guessing that it will not be the network, but something on one of the computers.

If you download your media via bittorrent, you could have a fragmentation problem. Bittorrent downloads should always go to SSD drive IMO. If using bittorrent, check if you can configure it to allocate the full file at once to prevent fragmentation.

I do download my media with bittorrent. I will check that setting. Thanks for the suggestion.

its just an older computer that I use for plex. It's really a file server tbh. I mostly use Kodi since my firetv's decode the media just fine.

Has windows 10 pro installed.

Wired connections? Had a similar problem a while back. Gig routers and only 20~30mbit from main PC to NAS. Other PCs fine. Turned out to be two bad network cables. One from main PC to wall and one from NAS to its local gig switch. Oddly, the bad cable from NAS to its gig switch didn't prevent the other PCs from getting good speed, just my main PC. The others had much shorter runs to the NAS. But I had to replace both for my main PC to get good speed.

Have also had switches that showed all the proper lights, complete with blinking, that barely passed data.

What happens if you try a Windows 7 computer on the same network?

I'm getting ever more curious if this is becoming a trend with Windows 10. See this thread for more details.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1885361

I'm going to start a new thread asking if anyone can post screenshots of a computer to computer doing a file transfer over the same LAN and getting full gigabit speeds, because this CTCP crap Microsoft pulled with Windows 10 is getting on my nerves.

Back