Transferring data onto the ps3

G'ßöö

[H]ard|Gawd
What are all the options? I want to transfer ~20 gigs of music onto it but want to know the options. I currently have dvd+r's (16x 4.7G) with mp3's in the root but when I put the dvd into the ps3 it says "there are no tracks". Its easily read on the computer. enlighten me please.

edit: I wish there was more flexibility with making directories for music, renaming and etc. maybe that's my ignorance but I dont see the options. you can press the triangle to sort, group, and a few others but...

Have an external hard drive or one of the memory sticks(60gb version)? Those are the easiest.

By default, PS3 is looking for a music folder. Either rename the folder or use the view all option via PS3

By default, PS3 is looking for a music folder. Either rename the folder or use the view all option via PS3
Thanks for the info but I am a tad confused still. As in rename the already burnt folder on the dvd+r? I cannot find this view all option in the ps3 menu :confused:

G'ßöö;1030935504 said:
Thanks for the info but I am a tad confused still. As in rename the already burnt folder on the dvd+r? I cannot find this view all option in the ps3 menu :confused:

Under the music menu you should see the DVD. Highlight it and press the triangle button. A menu will pop up, which you should see the view all option.

Under the music menu you should see the DVD. Highlight it and press the triangle button. A menu will pop up, which you should see the view all option.
negative, it gives copy and information. attempting copy gives and error

Sorry I skimmed through your post, you have two options.Either setup your pc as a fileserver for PS3 (you will be able to access all your media files via the PS3 browser). 2nd option dump your mp3's to a flash drive

Here is another option . Also available for the 360 and WII

Get yourself a portable HDD:) They are a god send for transferring massive amounts of data without crippling your network for other uses. They are so cheap these days too.

Now I don't have a PS3 so I can't so for sure, but I am pretty sure you could hook one up to the USB ports and just fling the data over either via a simply copy or drag or whatever.

Get yourself a portable HDD:) They are a god send for transferring massive amounts of data without crippling your network for other uses. They are so cheap these days too.

Now I don't have a PS3 so I can't so for sure, but I am pretty sure you could hook one up to the USB ports and just fling the data over either via a simply copy or drag or whatever.

Just like I said...get a USB HDD...it is sooo easy.

The problem with an external drive and PS3 is NTFS. PS3 currently only reads FAT32 when using the USB ports.Assuming you were to keep the external drive at FAT32, it would not be possible to extract an archive over 4gigs without converting your drive to NTFS

The problem with an external drive and PS3 is NTFS. PS3 currently only reads FAT32 when using the USB ports.Assuming you were to keep the external drive at FAT32, it would not be possible to extract an archive over 4gigs without converting your drive to NTFS

I thought as long as the file wasn't over 2(or 4)gig's, then you should be good. I don't know of a music file/photo file that is over 2(or 4)gb's...now unless he is doing movies then that would change the whole thing.

Yes, it's unlikely he is going to extract a 4 gig music archive :) although by using orb or redkawa a user would able to transfer a file regardless of size or what file allocation table the hard drive is using

HOw do you get files off the PS3? I want to save whatever game data i have, install and format a bigger HDD, then copy the game files back over.

Thanx for more input. Although buying new hardware can be the answer making what a person has makes most sense first. I tried this orb thing but when it comes to commands there is no "select all" since you cannot get any options on DIR's which is a foo bar'd but once saving a single file it prompts to "insert storage media at the save destination". doh!!!! :mad: I see no option to change this

LAME...damn it looked so good too. this is a pain

What makes me :confused: is that I have cdr's with mp3's in the root and the ps3 reads them. just not a dvdr. I guess I expect too much outta this thing. They implement stuff yet remove the most basic/needed functions. sure wish this had an file gui over network use

ps3 reads from VIDEO, PICTURE, MUSIC, named folders, you put music in the MUSIC folder then it will show up under the music icon, same for the others, and PS3>SAVEDATA for saves

when you burn the dvd put the music in a folder named MUSIC and it should show up, same for video or picture, not sure cause i havent did a dvd yet, but thats how i did the 200gb external drive i have with a VIDEO, PICTURE, MUSIC folder in it...

thnx for the patience and info ppl, its greatly appreciated. will fart with this more

red kawa, pc media tunnel and orb certainly play media but there are no options to do the simplest things like copy, and copy a full dir :confused:

Man I'm not sure how you are having all these problems. I made a Music CD with all my .mp3's on it using my DVD burner with a DVDR. I made this last year before I even thought about getting a PS3 or knowing anything about the PS3. I didn't name a folder Music ... It was just a data DVD with all music files on it....

Once I popped it into my PS3, the DVDR showed up under my music tab, highlighted it and hit triangle, selected copy multiple, then picked which songs I wanted.

Maybe its the type of DVDR's your using? Is it a + or a -... would this matter?

Any of your friends have a PS3 you can try it out on? Or you the only lucky one in the bunch...?

Man I'm not sure how you are having all these problems. I made a Music CD with all my .mp3's on it using my DVD burner with a DVDR. I made this last year before I even thought about getting a PS3 or knowing anything about the PS3. I didn't name a folder Music ... It was just a data DVD with all music files on it....

Once I popped it into my PS3, the DVDR showed up under my music tab, highlighted it and hit triangle, selected copy multiple, then picked which songs I wanted.

Maybe its the type of DVDR's your using? Is it a + or a -... would this matter?

Any of your friends have a PS3 you can try it out on? Or you the only lucky one in the bunch...?
I'm not sure. I am a noob at this but I certainly have the patience to test all buttons per action. I will try to burn again and test but I am not thrilled about the sound output anyway so I may give up. not sure if its my receiver or the ps3. grrr. I expect too much outta this thing

Back