Transferring a disk image from one local computer to another

carrierPigeon

Limp Gawd
I am a little short on storage space right now. So, I would like to take a ~50GB disk image from one computer and transfer it to another computer. Note that I am not using the disk image to create an operating system install, I am just transferring this data so that I have a backup. The computer that I am transferring to has extra space.

Both computers have NTFS hard drives.

1) what method should I use to do the transfer? It seems as though ethernet is the best (the computer receiving the transfer has 10/100 ethernet). Also, I guess I should have both of the computers connected to my router, and not go through an additional switch?

2) should I check the file at each end? I am not too familiar with checksum but is that something that I should read up on?

plug the source drive into the destination computer and copy it from disk to disk.
10/100 will be limited to 10MB/s so it'll take an hour or so over Ethernet.

plug the source drive into the destination computer and copy it from disk to disk.
10/100 will be limited to 10MB/s so it'll take an hour or so over Ethernet.

I have to avoid using sata cables for that, though, right? Because otherwise the computer wont know which drive to boot to.

just make sure your primiary is set as the only boot device and it will be fine. or wait an hour for the transfer.

just make sure your primiary is set as the only boot device and it will be fine. or wait an hour for the transfer.

Ok, when I first hook up the 2nd hard drive, I will go into the legacy bios and set that.
Thanks for the tip. This is going to be much better than ethernet.

set the boot drive first then connect the second, saves confusion.
Ok. I was just thinking that once I connect the 2nd hard drive, the bios might not put it at the end of the list of boot devices. But, I am sure you know better than I do.

Back