transfering data from one pc to another?

mnewxcv

[H]F Junkie
i know this guy getting a new comp, his old is running xp and the new is vista biz 64. Whats the best [free] way to transfer just about everything on the old pc to the new one? I mean programs, files, etc. thanks

Programs will need to be re-installed, simple as that. This is prefered anyway, since it is a new machine, with a new OS and a new OS platform as well. As for his files, just use an external USB drive to back up anything important, and then you can add it back to his new system. If he has a home network, you could copy the data across to the new system, once it is set up, applications installed, etc.

Try to hook him up with a spare hard drive or I've even used a 30 gb mp3 player in the past for whatever files aren't programs such as pictures and videos. Otherwise you can use a like 1 or 2 gb mp3 players and move the files slowly over to a laptop?

Reinstalling drivers
Get/buy Driver Magician or Driver Genius (my 2 favs)
OR, (this should work on vista, I am in xp)
1. Click on Start Menu
2. Right click on "Computer" or whatever your my computer may be and go to "Properties" in the drop down menu
3. Once in the properties menu click the hardware tab
4. Once there you should see a button that says "Device Manager", click it
5. Click through the drops downs

Generally what you need is the drivers if you have a graphics card which will prob be under "Display adapters"
Also if you know he has a custom comp and he knows the mobo it will be a breeze just google drivers for your motherboard or search the computer's make's website such as Dell or whatev for drivers

Otherwise some of the most important drivers are ethernet and sound drivers, CPU drivers aren't really needed in my opinion

Anyone to add on to that?

Programs = bad idea. Reinstall them.

I recommend using Windows Easy Transfer. It's in Vista. Run it on the Vista box, and it'll walk you through migrating everything over. It scans the old machine (after you install the software), finds all of the stuff, and asks you what you'd like to copy and to which user profile.

It's under Accessories -> System Tools -> Windows Easy Transfer. Or, Start->Run->Migwiz

thanks guys! its a high end prebuilt so OS and drivers should be in place. Programs are gonna be the bitch since he has stock market software that isnt free, prob gonna have to make a few phone calls.

Well you can always pop the hard drive out and put it in his case if you have media to transfer, guess I overlooked that.

Should be ezy breezy if you have ever messed with hard drive installation before.
If hes not doing anything with the old pc he can just take the parts out and have backups and such and plug in the ram and HDD to his new pc, and if you lost a say cd key for a program you should be able to just run it off the old HDD (Put a shortcut on desktop or start menu)

Windows does come with a 'File&Setting' transfer program that will handle things like email
accounts, desktop layout, My Documents etc.

will norton bitch? I am aloud to transfer it from one pc to another, right?

You shouldn't have a problem with Norton....just remove it from one machine and reinstall it on the new one.

1. Always migrate a customer's Desktop folder, My Documents folder, and Favorites folder.
2. Ensure the customer's .pst and .pab files are copied to the new workstation
3. Do a quick search on the root of c: for any folders the customer may be using to store files.
4. Note the customer's mapped network drives and network printers (write down or take screen shot)
5. Do install standard HISD applications (ex. Sap)
6. Installing nonstandard apps is beyond the scope of this transfer. (Visio, Acrobat Pro, etc.) The customer will need to call in for a case.
7. Do not transfer data for a customer who is not available. That customer will need to call the helpdesk to make arrangements.
8. Always copy files to the backup source. Do not move/cut files from the old workstation

This is what we use at work. Not of all of these will apply, but it could serve as a nice chekc list.

Depends what you're talking about ;). Hackers will get into your computer with Norton <3

You should just uninstall Norton and install AVG...
Considering this is someone else's computer, let's stick to the task at hand. Norton is just fine for the average person. I'd make a helpful suggestion to install something free when the Norton sub runs out, but that's unrelated to the topic.

That's the point I was trying to make above. Since this is someone else's computer, it is in their best interest to stick with what they are comfortable with.

look i use avg on all my computers. this is a person who likes norton so i say ok, since he has never had a virus or computer trouble.

No need to have an attitude over it, you can have a virus and not know it, and you think your immune because you never get viruses?

What has the world come to? I lol'd. Didn't know we had a zombie vaccine before there were any zombies on Earth. Lucky us I guess now we will never get infected, don't even need a vaccine cause we haven't even gotten infected yet!

No need to have an attitude over it, you can have a virus and not know it, and you think your immune because you never get viruses?
The end user, aka owner of the system, is happy with Norton. The person probably paid for a Norton subscription. The complaints about Norton have nothing to do with its effectiveness. The end user is perfectly fine sticking with Norton, so drop it. No one made any claims about being totally immune or not, and this certainly isn't a thread about debating AV softwares. Stop trying to manufacture an argument with the OP, stop the threadcrapping, and let it go. If there's no need to have an attitude over this, follow your own advice.

Back