Transfer Xbox Live to another Microsoft account

T4rd

Fully [H]
My son has been using my Xbox Live account for several years and much more than I've used it, so I want to just give him ownership of the account now that he's old enough and has his own Microsoft account for his PC.

The problem seems to be that the Xbox Live and Microsoft account are one in the same now and can't be separated. Searching online only gives me Microsoft pages that let me change my email address associated with my Microsoft account, or add an alias that will essentially only tie both mine and my son's email address to my Microsoft account.

So is there any way to separate the XBL account from my Microsoft account and register it to another email address/Microsoft account?

What started this is that his Xbox randomly prompts him for my Microsoft account password and I don't want to give that out even to him and it's real annoying when I'm away and he's nagging me for the password.

Any help is appreciated.

Have you looked into adding a family member account under the current main account? Might be able to do most of what you want as he would have his own seperate login/password.
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/security/add-family-member-on-xbox-one

Thanks, I just got around to trying this (again, tried before but was having issues recovering my son's MS account at the time) and it half-way works. He still has the games and Gold sub tied to my account, but none of his friends or messages on it since they're still on my profile. Not too big of a deal, as he can just add his friends again to the new profile/gamertag at least. I would still rather just link his Gamertag (my old account/gamertag) to his MS account permanantly, but at least this will keep him from getting locked out of his/my profile and he'll have his own profile and credentials on the Xbone.

Back