Transfer software RAID to new installation?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by frosty3907, Aug 20, 2011.

1. frosty3907

frosty3907 n00b

Hello,

I have a win7 x64 installation running on an ASUS P5KC, q6600 oc'd to 3.5GHZ on water.
    The mainboards screams under load (not CPU load, rather it seems worse under memory intensive tasks) so I'm going to try replacing it with a Gigabyte board I have GA-P35_DS3P.

Anyway, I have 3 36GB raptors in software raid that I install most of my programs on, is windows going to be able to rebuild this array from the drive ID's when a new m/b is installed or ... not?

2. night_2004

night_2004 2[H]4U

I haven't tested it myself, but from what I understand if you set it up the RAID array through Windows you should have zero problems migrating it to another installation.

3. /usr/home

/usr/home [H]ardness Supreme

If it is software based through Windows with Dynamic disks, you just import the foreign disks and it'll recognize that all three were in the array and voila, the array will be back and working. As much as I hate dynamic disks, this feature works well.

4. frosty3907

frosty3907 n00b

Great thanks :) now to work out the squealing motherboard problem.

5. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

Even if you built the array through the Intel controller, transfering to another motherboard with an Intel controller should work.

6. brshoemak

brshoemak [H]Lite

I have to throw this in there as a normal disclaimer but make 100% sure that you have a solid backup of your data before doing anything. Make sure to test the restore process before assuming you have a good backup.