Trade my coil whiny Asus TUF 4090 against a silent MSI TRIO X 4090?

Elric82

Limp Gawd
Hi
someone I know who does not care about noise offers me to trade my tuf against a msi trio x
Would it be a fair trade?

My Tuf is noisy for coil whine but has amazing temperatures and fans are dead silent.

I don't want to regret the change; coil whine is bad but perf and temps are great so..
Here's the coil whine of my card :

you can hear it's even worse when nvidia frame generator is enabled at the end of the video.
Thanks

You’re unlikely to notice any performance differences (temperature, clock speeds, etc) between the two of them unless you look at the actual recorded metrics. But you will very likely notice the coil whine while gaming, especially if you are sensitive to it.

Something to keep in mind is that while the MSI may not have coil whine in the other person’s PC, that doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t coil whine in yours. Certain PSUs can increase the likelihood of GPU coil whine.

I recommend, if possible, testing the MSI out in your PC first and moving forward from there with a decision to keep it or not.

That was also my concern, unfortunately it will be complicated since the person lives far away (he's trusty, i did a lot of sales / buy with him) but hard to do a simple test;
However I sold him a card before which was coil whining in both our rig.. so I don't know.
isn't my CW quite weird and worrying or just ok?

If your TUF is the OC model that retails for $200 more then no I wouldn't, its not an even trade. Your GPU will also maintain a higher resale value when you eventually sell it - "ASUS TUF" is far more sought after for whatever reason. I wouldn't trade it unless the trader wants to pay you the MSRP difference. You'd also be trading down to a 3 connector card from a 4 connector. It may not make a difference at stock setting but it's a difference.

There's also no guarantee the MSI doesn't have coil whine- the other guy might not be sensitive to it, or has noisy PC fans that mask it etc.

Nothing weird or concerning about coil whine IMO, and it's not specific to GPUs, and doesn't mean it will degrade.

Last edited:
One more thing, since coil whine is a natural consequence of pushing power through the transistors, and higher power draw may express it more, is trying undervolting. 95% of the performance at 100 less watts according to some reports I've seen.

Unfortunately coil whine isnt something ASUS would accept an RMA, for and would just ship it back, so last resort sell the GPU and re-buy same model, or something else. Or just let it ride and see if you can live with it.

Last edited:
My MSI Trio X has some coil whine under high FPS loads, not irritating to me, but definitely more than my 3090 FTW3 which was whisper quiet. Just put in the Corsair 'native' 12vhpwr cable so we'll see if that improves things any as redditors suggest. Also it has definitely decreased over the past month of use. Not sure if TUF OC has any real value over this card though, I had a tuf oc at BB for weeks which I offered to folks here at my costs, lots of inquiries but no bite, kinda says it all. I personally don't think any 4090 is worth a penny over 1599, just my $0.02, I don't care if it's super duper RGB OC'd to the moon...

I've already undervolted at 0, 950/ 2700mhz it helped a little bit but not much..

I was worried about the noise we can hear at the end of the vidéo mostly it happens when using the nvidia frame generation.

Am I just lucky or deaf? I've never heard this on any GPU I've ever had.

I know I'm not deaf, actually quite the opposite, so what's the deal?

I stick with EVGA, Asus, and MSI and I don't leave my case side off... so what are you guys doing to hear this? Do you live with your PC on your desk directly next to your ears or something?

Per Zotac - Standard Warranty: 2 years Extended Warranty: +1 year (Product registration required within 30 days of date of purchase on zotac.com) Total Warranty: 3 years total
Must be a recent change and how many folks actually register their cards on time?

I stick with EVGA, Asus, and MSI and I don't leave my case side off... so what are you guys doing to hear this? Do you live with your PC on your desk directly next to your ears or something?
Lol you likely just have a high noise floor (ambient noise to begin with), it's definitely audible in a quiet room with certain loads on a lot of high end cards.

Nah actually I'm a grumpy MFer who demands silence as much as possible so it's pretty quiet in here. I've gone so far as turning off case fans, taking the side off, and firing up fur mark and games to 'trigger' it and i just never hear it on ANY GPU and that's been across several generations of either AMD or Nvidia cards from several vendors.

Nah actually I'm a grumpy MFer who demands silence as much as possible so it's pretty quiet in here. I've gone so far as turning off case fans, taking the side off, and firing up fur mark and games to 'trigger' it and i just never hear it on ANY GPU and that's been across several generations of either AMD or Nvidia cards from several vendors.
Well then you are one lucky grumpy mofo..I am one too without the lucky part..

I must not know what coil whine sounds like or the ringing in my ears is about the same frequency.. I can't hear it.. lol

3 choices send it back or deal with it or RMA

Coil whine on my rx 6800 is loud enough i hear it with my headphones on,

Coil whine causes my get ear high pitch sound, it don't feel good either, working in hard labor, loud machinery.

My xfx radeon rx 6800 has coil whine and i am sending it back amazon.

i guess i'll keep my TUF and see later if i can get an exchange when it's more available, reseller is ok with it but they have no stock for now.. but this noise is a bit horrible.
the msi is only 3 power, does not have a vapor chamber i guess i won't be a winner in it

my egva 2080ti ftw 3 something or another coin whines in the menus of some games but never anywhere else. My office is deathly quiet most of the time.

i guess i'll keep my TUF and see later if i can get an exchange when it's more available, reseller is ok with it but they have no stock for now.. but this noise is a bit horrible.
the msi is only 3 power, does not have a vapor chamber i guess i won't be a winner in it
try capping your refresh to the monitors hz, see if the noise goes down at all

Well i can trust him if he says there is no coil whine but not sure the msi is as good, his temps looks fine and the card clocks higher than mine actually but i was never found of MSI. However he does not have the same game as I do and the CW is worse on some than other

Overclocking is near pointless on the 4090.
As long as you get it to clock around 2800 MHz all the time that is good enough. Also at least when I am monitoring wattage my card has yet to pass 400 watts in anything I am playing and I am playing all games maxed out at 1440P 240 Hz.

Even at 4K wattage remains max 380-390. I am playing all types of games on my TUF and it just eats them alive. Pretty sure MSI will do the same with 3 cables. You can also buy a separate cable and flash Suprim bios to get 530 watts or something. Trio goes till 480 watts.

Hope this helps. I would just get the card you can live with and not worry about other things.

Overclocking is near pointless on the 4090.
As long as you get it to clock around 2800 MHz all the time that is good enough. Also at least when I am monitoring wattage my card has yet to pass 400 watts in anything I am playing and I am playing all games maxed out at 1440P 240 Hz.

Even at 4K wattage remains max 380-390. I am playing all types of games on my TUF and it just eats them alive. Pretty sure MSI will do the same with 3 cables. You can also buy a separate cable and flash Suprim bios to get 530 watts or something. Trio goes till 480 watts.

Hope this helps. I would just get the card you can live with and not worry about other things.
I'm at 2700 for 0,950mv on my card with undervolt but it's true that this coil whine is annoying but I can live with it when gaming I suppose. Just want to be sure it's just coil whine since on some settings it just sound weird and uneven

I can’t live with coil whine. I would trade the card but that’s just my opinion.

I can’t live with coil whine. I would trade the card but that’s just my opinion.
You have the same card as I do, yours is dead silent?
The reseller is ok to change it but they have no stock at the moment

99% of the time coil whine is actually coming from the PSU. There just aren't that many components (inductors, coils) on a GPU that can generate audible coil whine. If you have an overbuilt power supply and/or you cap framerates/use vsync you won't hear coil whine most of the time regardless of the GPU pairing.

99% of the time coil whine is actually coming from the PSU. There just aren't that many components (inductors, coils) on a GPU that can generate audible coil whine. If you have an overbuilt power supply and/or you cap framerates/use vsync you won't hear coil whine most of the time regardless of the GPU pairing.

So basically it's a certain level of bullshit and false attribution of the problem

I do not believe that for second. Sure in some cases it can be the PSU causing or contributing to it but it the card in nearly all cases. My ASUS 3080 ti has almost zero coil whine yet both FE 3080 ti cards and the one FE 3090 I used where flat out obnoxious.

I do not believe that for second. Sure in some cases it can be the PSU causing or contributing to it but it the card in nearly all cases. My ASUS 3080 ti has almost zero coil whine yet both FE 3080 ti cards and the one FE 3090 I used where flat out obnoxious.
Only time I had PSU coil whine is when I tried to run my evga 1080 ti on an antec tp 550w, it just wasn't built for that kind of card and would squeal like a pig under load. The minimal whine I get with my MSI 4090 is certainly not coz of the RMX 1000, which is more than capable of handling the load and then some...it powered 7 GPUs 24x7 last year with nary a sound.

What is the difference in thermals ? Cause personally I think the MSI gaming X trio cards are probably the best looking designed cards out of the bunch especially in comparison to the bland tuff cards. I know the tuff cards have good components and are built well but I'm pretty sure the Gaming X cards are more or less equal performance wise? I just bought a MSI gaming x 3070 and it is dead silent where my EVGA 3080ti hydrocopper had an obnoxious whine lol anyway It's rma'd.

My computer is now a Praxis Wetbench SX watercooled build, so when at my desk, the bottom of the video card is about on level with my head, maybe 3 feet away. I had an EVGA 3080 with EK waterblock that was dead silent. It used about 380 watts when running Heaven. It was dead silent. I now have an Asus Strix 3090 with EK waterblock and the coil whine is pretty annoying. It also pulls between 380 and 390 when running Heaven. All other components are exactly the same. Go figure.

I’ve had friends with “bad coin whine”.

I’m three circumstances it was a bargain basement or bad power supply that was the cause. Swapping a power supply fixed the issue.

In one case it was a house with electrical wiring issue with dirty power. Moving the computer to an outlet that was on its own circuit fixed the issue. (No dimmers or fans)

In only one case was it the actual inductors on the card.

YMMV

I had an EVGA 1080 that had the WORST coil whine i could possibly imagine. you couldn't be in the same room. you could hear it 20 ft away from the room with the door closed.

It also overclocked like crazy, but i returned that shit immediately.

Back