Trade 780Ti for 780 / 8XX? Need advice.

Obsecrate

n00b
Hello,

This is my first post and I just wanted to say I am glad to be a part of this forum.

Anyway, in about a week or so, my almost new EVGA 780Ti SC 3GB (Reference) card will be coming in the mail. I got it from a trade on another forum a few weeks ago for my PlayStation 4 and accessories.

Now, to my question. Should I trade this card for a 780 or wait for the 800 series cards?

What should I expect to get for this card? It hasn't been used in mining and has been water cooled since it was opened.

Will the 870 be just as good as a 780? And an 880 like a 780Ti? I am very new to this.

I am leaning towards waiting for the 800 series, but I figured it will be a while, and then once those come out, won't the prices drop on the 700 cards?

I feel like I should wait, but I just want to hop in and game. So far, I have my RAM, and that is it.

I plan on putting my build together this summer, so I would appreciate any advice on what I should do.

Thank you for looking,

Obsecrate

Now, to my question. Should I trade this card for a 780 or wait for the 800 series cards?
why would you trade it for the same card?lol (does it come with water block...even if it did i be tempted to try water cooling)
when the 800 series finally gets here...you can plan on 650+ price tag
if your planning on selling the 780.....i think you would get more now rather than waiting till the 800 series gets here....I wouldn't imagine anyone paying more than 400 for a used 780...if anything probably less...but its not like your using it anyway

I don't have a 780.

I would be trading my 780Ti for a 780 + PayPal or just PayPal.

And $650 for the lowest performing card or what? Or did you mean that price for an 880?

And would eBay be the best option? If I sold for $600 or so, they'd charge me $65 in fees.

So you you bought a video card now but you wont do a build until summer? Thats not the way to do things. Sounds like you really dont even have enough money to be doing this anyway. Wait until you can actually afford to build a system before you start buying parts. And when money is an issue the last thing you do is buy a top of the line card just to sit on it for months.

High end maxwell won't be out until the end of this year or the start of next year.

So you you bought a video card now but you wont do a build until summer? Thats not the way to do things. Sounds like you really dont even have enough money to be doing this anyway. Wait until you can actually afford to build a system before you start buying parts. And when money is an issue the last thing you do is buy a top of the line card just to sit on it for months.

I seized the opportunity to trade my console, headset, and games for a high end graphics card, water cooler, and a Kraken G10 in hopes of selling it. I had no intention of actually using it, I was going to either use the money to either buy a 780 and something else or just save it.

Seems like a straightforward question. What I would ask is this: do your games currently play well? If yes, keep what you have. Upgrading to the latest greatest thing isn't always necessary. It's fun and sure i've done it, but it's a bit early to ask these questions. We're not completely sure when Maxwell (GM200/204) will hit, although nvidia claims 2h 2014. Who knows. I'd say wait it out and revisit the question later, assuming that your games play well. Why bother with hassle if you don't need to yet? Know what i'm sayin'.

Seems like a straightforward question. What I would ask is this: do your games currently play well? If yes, keep what you have. Upgrading to the latest greatest thing isn't always necessary. It's fun and sure i've done it, but it's a bit early to ask these questions. We're not completely sure when Maxwell (GM200/204) will hit, although nvidia claims 2h 2014. Who knows. I'd say wait it out and revisit the question later, assuming that your games play well. Why bother with hassle if you don't need to yet? Know what i'm sayin'.

I can currently barely run Minecraft on my 2008 iMac, so that is my main reason for wanting to build a PC. And I know I shouldn't always upgrade to the latest stuff because new items are right around the corner. I think what I will do is build my PC this summer with a 750 Ti or something and then when the 800 series cards get released, I will buy an 870 most likely and then upgrade to an 880 in the future. I just like planning ahead, but I completely agree with you. Thanks.

This question isn't worth your time and concern.

The differential in the money you save/lose in the months spent waiting for new cards works out to $100 at most, chip losses going your way by fees from the constant flipping and shipping. And then there's all that time spent on news websites or forums, and camping for deals.

We've all been down that road, and, like xoleras said, it's part of the fun. But my advice?

Use what you have now and build, or sell now and build later. Play games or something. Life's too short, man.

Are you getting the 780 ti with a water block installed? Are you going to water cool your new system? What system do you have now that you will be using the card in? Is it Water cooled? We need more info to be able to give good advice.

Nvidia has said 2nd half of 2014. Don't spread purposeful misinformation bud.

NVIDIA all ways release the lower end GPUs first so the 860 and 870, don't expect high end like the 880 or 880 ti for a while. Just look at how much later the 780 ti came out. And the 790 still isn't out.

TSMC are almost guaranteed to fuck up their yields like they always do.

For DX11 generation GPUs at least (also just off hand even before then) both companies have typically released the higher end model first. The only exception for this was AMD with the 6xxx series (6850/6870 before 6950/6970) and Nvidia if you want to count the 780ti/Titan (the GTX 780 was still released as the first 7xx though).

People keep bringing up 20nm and TSMC but one thing I'm actually wondering about with the next line of cards is the memory bandwidth. There was speculation that 2014 cards were going to launch with GDDR6, could there be a delay there? If not GDDR6 however memory bandwidth this generation is not going to go up significantly. GDDR5's theoretical limit was 6ghz although 7ghz chips did come out (on certain 7xx Nvidia cards).

Because of this I'm wondering whether or not it will be another Kepler type situation where the 880 does not make huge performance gains but does make huge efficiency gains over the 780ti followed by a larger design the following year. This would be much like GTX 580->680->780.

Last edited:
Don't expect high end Maxwell any time soon - Nvidia just allowed 6gb 780's and 780Ti's to come to the party, so I expect they'll want to milk the G110 line a bit longer...

My cards read 4th qtr at the earliest for the high end Maxwell line. Unless AMD pokes a stick in their eye with a new high-end card release to bruise Huang's ego.

This question isn't worth your time and concern.

The differential in the money you save/lose in the months spent waiting for new cards works out to $100 at most, chip losses going your way by fees from the constant flipping and shipping. And then there's all that time spent on news websites or forums, and camping for deals.

We've all been down that road, and, like xoleras said, it's part of the fun. But my advice?

Use what you have now and build, or sell now and build later. Play games or something. Life's too short, man.

I'm probably going to sell now and build later. I just really want to get into PC gaming, but the waiting would be too long if I just waited for those cards.

Are you getting the 780 ti with a water block installed? Are you going to water cool your new system? What system do you have now that you will be using the card in? Is it Water cooled? We need more info to be able to give good advice.

The 780Ti was water cooled and no it is not installed. I will water cool my system later.

The REAL question is... who would trade a 780 Ti for a PS4?!

Someone who couldn't afford to SLI 780Ti's but wanted to play console and SLI 780's.

NVIDIA all ways release the lower end GPUs first so the 860 and 870, don't expect high end like the 880 or 880 ti for a while. Just look at how much later the 780 ti came out. And the 790 still isn't out.

TSMC are almost guaranteed to fuck up their yields like they always do.

Would the price difference in the 870 and 880 be worth it at first? I might get the 870 at first and then upgrade to an 880 later. I'm only going to be gaming on a single 1080p monitor.

For DX11 generation GPUs at least (also just off hand even before then) both companies have typically released the higher end model first. The only exception for this was AMD with the 6xxx series (6850/6870 before 6950/6970) and Nvidia if you want to count the 780ti/Titan (the GTX 780 was still released as the first 7xx though).

People keep bringing up 20nm and TSMC but one thing I'm actually wondering about with the next line of cards is the memory bandwidth. There was speculation that 2014 cards were going to launch with GDDR6, could there be a delay there? If not GDDR6 however memory bandwidth this generation is not going to go up significantly. GDDR5's theoretical limit was 6ghz although 7ghz chips did come out (on certain 7xx Nvidia cards).

Because of this I'm wondering whether or not it will be another Kepler type situation where the 880 does not make huge performance gains but does make huge efficiency gains over the 780ti followed by a larger design the following year. This would be much like GTX 580->680->780.

I'm getting different answers here. So you're saying that the 880 would be released before the 870? I will most likely get an 870 to start with.

its reality 2h is a huge target from fiscal q3 to q4 that ends in 2015. want to know when 20nm chips are coming take a closer look at the foundry sector. It looks like most of the initial 20nm production is going to crapple chips. also http://wccftech.com/tsmc-begins-volume-production-20nm-chips-q1-2014-16nm-finfet-chips-q1-2015/

I just hope they get released by the end of the year. Will the 880's specs be vastly different than that of the 780?

Don't expect high end Maxwell any time soon - Nvidia just allowed 6gb 780's and 780Ti's to come to the party, so I expect they'll want to milk the G110 line a bit longer...

My cards read 4th qtr at the earliest for the high end Maxwell line. Unless AMD pokes a stick in their eye with a new high-end card release to bruise Huang's ego.

Alright, thanks. I'm hoping by the end of the summer for at least an 870.

I just hope they get released by the end of the year. Will the 880's specs be vastly different than that of the 780?

I doubt they'll be vastly different - maybe a good 20-30% bump in overall performance. What will be vastly different is the power required to get there as Maxwell will be a lot less power hungry.

I doubt they'll be vastly different - maybe a good 20-30% bump in overall performance. What will be vastly different is the power required to get there as Maxwell will be a lot less power hungry.
That makes zero sense. Nvidia could give at least 20% more performance on 28nm if they went Maxwell. 20nm Maxwell will be WAY more than just 20-30% faster.

So what would the 870 be compared to in today's cards? The 770 or the 780?

And yeah, the 750Ti demonstrated that quite well.

It's hard to say. Nvidia extracted double the performance at a 60W TDP. You need to look at it in terms of performance per watt, so essentially what happened is that NV replaced the GT640 which had a 65W TDP, with the 750ti that has a 60W TDP. They both have the same TDP but the performance more than doubled.

That means that at 250W TDP, they should get similar scaling. In other words, a GTX 780 > 250W TDP Maxwell will be a huge jump up, easily more than 30% IMO. We will see though. We just don't know when, aside from a vague "2H 2014" release. Should be interesting in any case.

Not if 20nm gets pushed out further. They've already pushed out little Maxwell on 28nm... If 20nm gives them too many headaches, they may opt to delay it and do big Maxwell on 28nm first. I'm all for a 2x to 3x increase in performance, but I really don't think the first big Maxwell entry will exceed an over clocked 780Ti by more than 30%. Again, just my opinion. Would be nice to be pleasantly surprised otherwise.

Not if 20nm gets pushed out further. They've already pushed out little Maxwell on 28nm... If 20nm gives them too many headaches, they may opt to delay it and do big Maxwell on 28nm first. I'm all for a 2x to 3x increase in performance, but I really don't think the first big Maxwell entry will exceed an over clocked 780Ti by more than 30%. Again, just my opinion. Would be nice to be pleasantly surprised otherwise.
With as efficient as Maxwell is and the push for 4k performance, I am guessing 20nm 880ti will be at least 70-75% faster than 780ti at high res. What we are going to find is that we end up with massive cpu bottlenecks in many games at 1080 and even 1440. DX12 cant get here soon enough.

With as efficient as Maxwell is and the push for 4k performance, I am guessing 20nm 880ti will be at least 70-75% faster than 780ti at high res. What we are going to find is that we end up with massive cpu bottlenecks in many games at 1080 and even 1440. DX12 cant get here soon enough.

Time to necro this thread. Nvidia ended up calling it the 980 instead, which was just released today.

What I said about them skipping 20nm and sticking with 28nm was spot on. My prediction of a 4th qtr release was also accurate. And the 980 looks to be roughly only 10-20% faster than a 780Ti. (I predicted no more than 30%)

If you didn't upgrade to a 780Ti, then the 980 looks like a good option. I'll stick with my SLI'ed 780Ti's though. They are on water and heavily overclocked - should last me a while and I am quite happy with their performance.

Even on any decent cards lower than a 780ti you might as well just skip the 980 and wait for the inevitable 980ti.

980Gtx is definately nice and at a good price , Im a 780 ti thats does daily 1315mhz rock solid so It would be a waste for me , but for all the 680GTX owners what are you waiting for . . .

you should sell it and get your hands on a gtx 980 .

Masterful advice! We'll just rip out our 780Ti's and sell them at a significant loss and then rush out and buy something that will give me such a small performance boost over what we had that we won't even notice it. :rolleyes:

What I said about them skipping 20nm and sticking with 28nm was spot on. My prediction of a 4th qtr release was also accurate. And the 980 looks to be roughly only 10-20% faster than a 780Ti. (I predicted no more than 30%)

Way to go Nostradamus lol.

Lol I didnt mean like that . You will see the difference when the new drivers comes out .

Way to go Nostradamus lol.

Well, that's after being told earlier in the thread that I made "zero sense". Couldn't resist - glad you were entertained! ;)

new2019 said:
Lol I didnt mean like that . You will see the difference when the new drivers comes out .

Of course, new drivers... But then what happens if they also boost 780Ti performance? :p

Seriously, chasing tech is something that is best done by skipping a generation or two between hops, at least for me it is. If you want to sponsor what I consider a pretty small upgrade at best - more like a lateral move, I'd be happy to send you my PayPal address. :D

Last edited:
Cant you remember the old days where the hd 7970 got a driver up date and it started to give a better boost about 14% ?

Back