Trade 360 for a PS3?

noobman

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay so here's my situation:

I am, first and foremost, a PC gamer. I always have been and I always will be. When I bought my console I did not think that I'd be getting a new gaming PC (laptop owner) so I bought a 360 (better shooter system).

Now I have a gaming PC again, and I only use my console for NHL 09 plus the odd amazing Xbox360 game.

I currently have a 20gb 360 pro, 3 controllers (2 wired), 13 games, and a headset.

I'm thinking that it would make sense to switch to a PS3 at this point. The difference between each system in the NHL series is virtually nonexistent now. I won't have to pay $60 a year to play NHL 09 online + get roster updates, I'll have access to a few PS3 exclusives that I missed out on (LBP, Drakes, Resistance, Resistance 2, Killzone 2). On average I'd say that I spend about 50% of my time playing NHL 09, and the other 50% playing PC games. I don't do ANYTHING other than sports games on my 360 anymore.

This way I would, at the very least, break-even on getting a PS3 (might even make some $$ for myself) and I'd save on $60 per year for the next three years until the next-generation of consoles is released.

If you can make money off of the 360 while switching to PS3 I say go for it. Free online play is amazing, I don't have very much problems with PSN at all.

Also, now would be a good time to get one, some pretty good exclusives coming out for the ps3. Uncharted is a must play IMO.

Last edited:
Just so you know, the mic/headset experience on NHL09 for PS3 is a mixed bag. Seems that every time we would play someone on the team wouldn't be able to talk to someone else, it was a real crapshoot. I only play it with one of my buddies now and it's just easier for us to start a chat on Live and play on PSN so we don't have to deal with dropouts. Other than that it's been a fairly solid experience, with disconnects from time to time.

As an owner of both a PS3 and 360.....if you're really into gaming then keep the 360. The PS3 is a fantastic multimedia device with a slick interface...but honestly, other than the Blu-ray thing there isn't anything it can do that your 360 can't. The biggest difference is the actual gaming part...if you read reviews of multi-platform games you'll find that the 360 version is the one that either looks the best, runs the best or both...but never the other way around (sometimes its a draw). Another thing is the sheer number of games available for the 360...remember it had more than a year head start and it's easier to develop for. The final thing is the controller..the 360 pad is near perfect except for the d-pad (which really isn't used for anything important in most games) while the sixxaxis/dualshock 3 has a decent d-pad but horrible triggers which hamper the enjoyment of shooters/racing games. I'm glad I have both, but if I had to choose one I would keep the 360.

Go with the Ps3. As developers get used to coding for the ps3 the games will get better.

The exclusives you gain with a PS3 far outweigh the minimal disadvantage with some multi-platform games IMO. The differences are usually trivial. Owning a high end PC, I'm sure that's your platform of choice for any big multi-platform game anyways.

Who wants to play console exclusive Alan Wake on an X360, if you've got a serious gaming PC ?

PS3+PC gives you more variety and "hit game" coverage than X360+PC.

The system that most of your friends have. That's probably the most important thing. Playing with your friends... unless you have no friends. Then disregard this post.

you can buy triggers for you ps3 controller that make them like the 360s for a few quid.....go for it psn is really improving, just needs cross game chat.

Just so you know, the mic/headset experience on NHL09 for PS3 is a mixed bag. Seems that every time we would play someone on the team wouldn't be able to talk to someone else, it was a real crapshoot. I only play it with one of my buddies now and it's just easier for us to start a chat on Live and play on PSN so we don't have to deal with dropouts. Other than that it's been a fairly solid experience, with disconnects from time to time.

That's the case with the PS3 in general. I do the same thing for pretty much every PS3 game...or Wii game for that matter. The bluetooth system is just a mess. It uses a lot of bandwidth and because 99% of sets are 6" from someone's mouth - they pick up way too much background noise. Plus, the PS3's implimentation of the audio coming over seems to amplify that even more. Playing a game of Killzone or COD is a headache if people have headsets.

you can buy triggers for you ps3 controller that make them like the 360s for a few quid.....go for it psn is really improving, just needs cross game chat.
I have those and they simply make it better..but still not nearly as good as the 360 triggers. Beyond the position of the triggers...Sony needs to work on the spring tension and travel distance as well. For example: with the 360 triggers I can "feel" half throttle in a racing game but with the dualshock (trigger extensions or without) I can't really tell the difference between a blip and near full throttle.

The system that most of your friends have. That's probably the most important thing. Playing with your friends... unless you have no friends. Then disregard this post.
This one.

Or get both when they cut the price on the PS3.

It's a healthy mix. Most of us are PC gamers, but I have a few friends who own either only a PS3, only a 360, or both consoles. There's one guy with a Wii but he doesn't really use it.

When I play a multiplayer PC game I always play w/ friends (unless it's Counterstrike) but with my console I prefer to connect to random games... mostly to school kids in NHL 09 because I'm awesome lol. The learning curve while switching platforms kind of concerns me too.

have both, all problems solved

The whole point of this discussion is to *reduce* gaming expenses!

Tough call. While the overlap between the PC and Xbox 360 library is significant, I think you might be overestimating how much you'll get selling your 360. For starters you including the benefit of selling 13 games that you admit you don't play, so can (and probably should) sell those games regardless of whether you keep the 360.

So in terms of how you evaluate the cost of keeping the 360 vs getting the PS3, I would say to just count the hardware. In this case, I think you'll be lucky to get $200 for your system, headset, and controllers. An 80GB PS3 is $400 alone. That does not include HD video cables, extra controllers or a headset. So you're looking at an incremental cost of somewhere between $200-$300 to move from an Xbox 360 without any games to a PS3 without any games, depending on how much extra hardware you need. While the PS3 exclusives are enticing, keep in mind that the 360 still gets the occasional exclusive that doesn't make it to PC as well (Gears, Halo, Fable, etc...). Also, multi-platform titles like Prototype, FFXIII, and Brutal Legend that don't get PC releases will be almost identical between the 360 and PS3 versions.

All in all, I think the 360 and PS3 libraries are fairly comparable and I don't think you'll find many more new releases to play on the PS3 than on the 360 once you've burned through the games you missed for the last couple of years.

Also, if you decide to stick with the 360, keep an eye on Amazon for subscription cards. They regularly put them on sale, and you can cut $20-$30 a year off what you're paying for XBL.

QFT, I was coming here to say that as well.
Most of the 360 games come out on the PC as well. a PS3 for a PC Gamer makes more sense.

Most? Really....I'd love to see that list. According to wikipedia there are 167 xbox 360 exclusives (console exclusive, so this excludes the pc/360 "exclusives"). There are 133 ps3 exclusives.

"all 360 games are on the pc" is just as stupid as "ps3 has no games". It's a tired, lame meme that has zero basis in truth.

Most? Really....I'd love to see that list. According to wikipedia there are 167 xbox 360 exclusives (console exclusive, so this excludes the pc/360 "exclusives"). There are 133 ps3 exclusives.

"all 360 games are on the pc" is just as stupid as "ps3 has no games". It's a tired, lame meme that has zero basis in truth.

Well that sort of defeats the purpose of your post, doesn't it?

The OP has a gaming PC, therefore any game that is a 360 "console exclusive" is irrelevant since it can (and in my case certainly would be) played on the PC. If you subtract the number of PC/360 shared games from the 360 exclusives number, you might find that the list of PS3 exclusives is actually larger.

Right now the only thing keeping me back from pulling the trigger on this move is the prospect of Gears of War 3. That and the fact that my XBL Gold won't expire until August.

Well that sort of defeats the purpose of your post, doesn't it?

The OP has a gaming PC, therefore any game that is a 360 "console exclusive" is irrelevant since it can (and in my case certainly would be) played on the PC. If you subtract the number of PC/360 shared games from the 360 exclusives number, you might find that the list of PS3 exclusives is actually larger.

Right now the only thing keeping me back from pulling the trigger on this move is the prospect of Gears of War 3. That and the fact that my XBL Gold won't expire until August.

No, you misread. Those are games *only* on the 360. NOT the shared 360/PC games. EG: It includes gears of war 2 (only on 360) but not gears 1 (pc and 360 - therefore it doesn't count as "exclusive" for the purposes of this list).

Read it again now. If you included pc/360 "exclusives" the gap would be much larger in favor of the 360. But again, those ARE NOT included.

I've always wondered where that whole "all of the good 360 games are the PC" myth came from.
Most of the games people are talking about are also on the PS3, too.
There are a ton of good multiplatform games out there...but there are also still plenty of 360 and PS3 exclusives...and PC exclusives too for that matter.
Unless you own them all (and the portables and potentially and iPhone, too), you're always going to miss out on lots of good games.

I've always wondered where that whole "all of the good 360 games are the PC" myth came from.
Most of the games people are talking about are also on the PS3, too.
There are a ton of good multiplatform games out there...but there are also still plenty of 360 and PS3 exclusives...and PC exclusives too for that matter.
Unless you own them all (and the portables and potentially and iPhone, too), you're always going to miss out on lots of good games.

Yep. But that's not fun for people with insane corporate loyalties.

To the OP, just save up a lil longer and buy the ps3 and call it a day. That way you can play with all your friends.

Most of the 360 games come out on the PC as well. a PS3 for a PC Gamer makes more sense.

Quit misconstruing what was said to make your strawman.

Many X360 exclusives do come out on PC. No PS3 exclusives come to PC.

Stereophile your statement about the PS3 exclusives is not completely true. I don't know how many that have hit the market yet but I do know that DC Universe Online is a PS3/PC exclusive. I am pretty sure there are more in the works as well.

As for other lists with numbers of exclusives, it is kind of tough to qualify since a lot of the early exclusives stayed console only but the newer ones seem to be timed exclusives. Gears took how long to move to the PC? Do you think Gears 2 will go PC in the future? I don't really care about the actual number of games personally. To me the relevant number is the number of games I want to play. That is a personal choice and it seems to me that the OP wants to play the PS3 titles. I hope he has good luck in whatever choice he makes, but I don't even see why the thread was posted since it never looked like he asked a question in the first place. I have a question for him or her though. How are you going to make money or break even getting a PS3? Did you already have someone who was going to trade you straight up system for sytem? If so that sounds like a good deal to me.

I'm thinking that it would make sense to switch to a PS3 at this point.
When I made my decision between the two, my thinking was that I'm going to always have a PC, so what console would provide me with games I can't play on the PC? The easy answer was the PS3. Between my PS3 and PC, there are no titles that I want to play that I can't. The only titles I can think of would be the newest Halo and GoW that havn't been ported to PC yet, which is fine since I never would play those anyways.

I think the answer is easy, get the PS3 and with your PC you'll be open to a much larger pool of games than limiting yourself to a PC/360. Like Stereo said, no ps3 exclusives come to the PC. I know a guy who recently bought a PS3 just for MGS 4.

Both is better like Technoob posted earlier but financially that's not always possible. If you had the mindset that you do want to buy one or the other, the exclusives and features from both systems are what you need to sit down and weigh.

Due you have to have wi-fi built in?

Due you have to have Blu-ray?

Do you want LIVE?

etc..

To me the 360's best feature is LIVE, Sony needs to just sit down and copy every feature to a tee, not the advertising everywhere, but the friends, party invites, chat features. Because honestly the 360 just doesn't have much else to play against the PS3 these days. Sony seem's to be nailing them to the wall with exclusives this year and the cross platform games are identical now so MS doesn't have that advantage anymore either.

I think MS got a little to cocky to fast, such as not relaseing diddly shit for us this year, exclusives wise. But their both great systems in their own right, if you want stability and God of War 3:eek: get a PS3.If you want a great online service but shit hardware go with the 360.

Both is better like Technoob posted earlier but financially that's not always possible. If you had the mindset that you do want to buy one or the other, the exclusives and features from both systems are what you need to sit down and weigh.

Due you have to have wi-fi built in?

Due you have to have Blu-ray?

Do you want LIVE?

etc..

To me the 360's best feature is LIVE, Sony needs to just sit down and copy every feature to a tee, not the advertising everywhere, but the friends, party invites, chat features. Because honestly the 360 just doesn't have much else to play against the PS3 these days. Sony seem's to be nailing them to the wall with exclusives this year and the cross platform games are identical now so MS doesn't have that advantage anymore either.

I think MS got a little to cocky to fast, such as not relaseing diddly shit for us this year, exclusives wise. But their both great systems in their own right, if you want stability and God of War 3:eek: get a PS3.If you want a great online service but shit hardware go with the 360.

good post but i think some of the xbox live features are copyrighted by MS such has the in game custom music which SONY was about to turn the switch on before halting it and realizing MS has that in there pockets

good post but i think some of the xbox live features are copyrighted by MS such has the in game custom music which SONY was about to turn the switch on before halting it and realizing MS has that in there pockets

Is that copyrightable? I don't have an 360 so i'm not familiar with the feature your describing here, but it sounds to me all they are doing is replacing in game music with mp3's you have stored on your system. How is that even copyrightable? I've been doing this for years on my PC.

Is that copyrightable? I don't have an 360 so i'm not familiar with the feature your describing here, but it sounds to me all they are doing is replacing in game music with mp3's you have stored on your system. How is that even copyrightable? I've been doing this for years on my PC.

It would be patented (if it even exists), not copyrighted, and I'm fairly dubious about how enforceable that patent would be. Even if it were patented, only MS's solution for implementing it would be covered by the patent. There is zero chance that they have a patent that covers "all listening of music on the console within a game".

PSN needs lots of features, all of which cannot have "well it's patented by MS" as the excuse. Such as allowing background downloads while blurays are playing, or cross game chat.

yer they are burnt ot of big next gen exclusives

Dude, I'm almost willing to do this with you. I'm getting some tryout invitations for pro cod4 teams so this might be the best move for me....let me think about it.

PS3 w/emotion 60gb
Guitar Hero: WT, Aero, 3
KZ2
Socom:Confrontation w/ blutooth headset setup
Oblivion
MK Collection (ps2)
some other random ps2 games

:confused: idk man what games do you have?

As an owner of all three consoles I say go ahead and trade the 360 in and get a PS3. MS will love you in six months when you buy a new 360. I started gaming on my PS3 about four months ago after owning it for a year. For about the last two months it has reverted back to a great blu-ray player only, for my family. The 360 is used for gaming everyday, as a matter of fact my son is playing it right now.

Tough call there. I own both a 360 and PS3, and I wouldn't give up either. I guess if you have a top notch computer and can only have one console, I would go with the PS3. But I don't really play online much (except on PC), so my opinion doesn't really take XBL superiority into account.

Back