Tracking The Homeless With GPS

And my point is that I am far from a minority, the opportunity for education is virtually guaranteed, and as long as you are doing OK in school and don't get into too much trouble with cops then the only thing that would bar someone from service is physical/mental handicaps or problems.

The rest, things you bring up like having to leave school to support family. These are not problems systemic to the system or government policy, these are most often the result of people's very poor life decisions. If someone is put into this situation it's usually because a parent put them there.

Are there exceptions, yes there are. A father killed in a traffic accident could cause a real issue. I am sure there are others. I have no lack of feeling for people who must deal with such hardship. But in the past family normally helped with such issues and even if they still do, their ability to do so effectively is hindered by how many simply are not able to.

But the real causes of these problems are social, not political. The come from ideas about marriage, drugs, and yes, the welfare safety net has a play in it to. Add to this a lack of personal responsibility, entitlement, a nation infected with lawyers suing anyone you can at any chance as if it's the lottery. Discipline at home and in the School, the list get's quite long.

Still, the biggest single factor is about the choices people make. Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid.

Your entire viewpoint is bogus. Im sorry but education is ANYTHING BUT GUARANTEED. Local tuitions are not cheap, at ANY University, unless your talking trade colleges and even then, it IS NOT CHEAP. You have a seriously narrow minded view of the world

I volunteer with high schools and midschools here mostly hispanic/mexican immigrants and can tell you with 100% confidence those kids don't have a chance. they just dont, culturally and financially they wouldnt make it. take the silver spoon out of your mouth please

Fascinating, most of my friends and co-workers were either born in Mexico or born to illegal parents in the US. They are all working and make ok to very good salaries. It's interesting that you mention "culture" because all of my friends have adopted basically American culture and have done well. Many of my childhood acquaintances that adopted either Mexican or gangster culture are still struggling, however they still work. Just harder jobs and they make less money.

Your entire viewpoint is bogus. Im sorry but education is ANYTHING BUT GUARANTEED. Local tuitions are not cheap, at ANY University, unless your talking trade colleges and even then, it IS NOT CHEAP. You have a seriously narrow minded view of the world

"opportunity for education" is not synonymous with CHEAP His whole point is that there is an opportunity if you're willing to put in the work. You want it to be CHEAP. That's not the same thing. It's almost the opposite.

By Tetris42;
I didnt get to dick around in college like you did, and frankly thats the type of thing that pisses me off. My guess is you had one of not more scholarships when people like me who took shit seriously had to live on 3 hours of sleep a night while pursuing an extremely difficult degree.

Oh no,you are very mistaken. You should stop trying to make me fit into some predetermined mold that you imagine I came from.

I was working to pay for college since 14, sheet metal work, crawling into 140 degree attics full of old insulation you could see floating in the disturbed dust through the light of a 100 watt drop-light. I worked all my way through those three years of school at Red Lobster, Gas Stations, even the school dorm cafeterias and that was on top of my school hours. My hair was falling from my head and stopping up my shower drain in my apartment. Some of this was, as I said, due to a poor life's choice. When I started college I decided I wanted my own apartment, my Mom and Dad said it was mistake but you know I insisted. Well I had to pay for it so there it is. I chose early "freedom" and I paid for it. I couldn't hack it any more so I had to look for another way. I went into the Army.

But every advantage you claim I had was provided by my Family and a government policy that allows for opportunity.

Making sound life choices isn't luck, it's wisdom. All we need from the government is opportunity but some think we need the government to provide much more then that but they ignore how wasteful government is and fail to take that into account.

The dollar that is given by the government as assistance costs tax payers thirty or more to provide.

The math is bad business.

My tinfoil hat has failed me. I can't sniff out the bullshit from the dirt.

Article was interesting. I don't like the solution. The Police already know where the homeless congregate. This sounds about as useful as red light cameras. If the U.S. ever does something as stupid as this, they better start to tax the hell out of SuperPACs to fund it.

See I think that's why conversations like this can get so muddied. I personally see the actions of the 1%, or rather the 0.01% as causing far more problems then all people who have no intention of contributing who do collect welfare combined. Consider this, we spent about 3.7 trillion on welfare over the past 5 years, but there's an estimated 21 - 32 trillion stored offshore from tax avoidance.

WikiLeaks almost revealed the truth of that matter. Which is the real reason that Assange became a threat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Elmer

Democracy Now, Swiss banker Rudolf Elmer hands secrets to WikiLeaks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOuVCnQuvA8

I think everyone here are jealous of the homeless because they enjoy freedoms you do not have in your busy worker bee lives.

I have a buddy that for a while was living as a hobo in the woods in Northern Cali. I used to jokingly say that he had the best backyard of anyone I've ever known.

Wasn't really joking....

2m9G8uK.jpg

A good idea if the effort is sincere. A bad idea if they want to know where the homeless are to round them up and exit them from the city limits. Time will tell I guess. Gotta suck hard not having a place to live or job to pay your bills. I would really hate to live like that. :(

Gotta suck hard not having a place to live or job to pay your bills. I would really hate to live like that. :(

You can live anywhere and have no bills to pay.

It's not the life for me at all, but some people can pull it off happily.

I want a great place to live and no bills I have to worry about paying.

(grips powerball ticket)

Ducman69, please consider professional help.

Icpiper, the specifics of your life are not necessary going to apply to a different person, let alone today.

The fact is we are becoming a nation of less opportunity; less mobility; lower wages and less help on top of it.

Now on topic.. I think this GPS thing is a little stupid.. you could you know talk with the homeless.. I don't know, depending on how long they are required to keep this, they might modify their behavior too. I guess if they keep it long enough they will kind of forget about it, and then carry on more normal.

I have a buddy that for a while was living as a hobo in the woods in Northern Cali. I used to jokingly say that he had the best backyard of anyone I've ever known.

Wasn't really joking....

2m9G8uK.jpg

That backyard is awesome looking through a triple glass pane and a crackling fireplace. Being homeless and living in the open that's just wilderness and death.

Ain't this the goddamn truth. We have new neighbors that moved into 2500 sq foot house next to us. It's been a month and the house is already destroyed. Trash everywhere, 2 pit bulls constantly tearing shit up and barking all fucking night, loud ass parties all weekend, AND THEY DON'T FUCKING WORK.

Yep, that sucks.
People who accept public assistance shouldn't be allowed to vote and should be drug and alcohol tested monthly. Problem solved.

Country is out of control and our politicians are worthless corrupt scumbags.

In the old days people who didn't work became homeless and were called either BUMS or HOBOs.
Hobo's were the good ones. They worked to get a few bucks and just tooled around minding their own business. BUMS on the other hand is what we have today.

That backyard is awesome looking through a triple glass pane and a crackling fireplace. Being homeless and living in the open that's just wilderness and death.
And there is nothing wrong with living as a SELF-SUFFICIENT woodsman who isn't perma-sucking on the tit of American charity for life.

Mucho respect for someone that builds their own log cabin, hunts game, grows some food in a garden, and perhaps makes some nice wooden furniture to trade for other necessities, as long as they aren't trashing the environment where they live and dispose of garbage and what not properly and compost their waste.

Mucho respect for someone that builds their own log cabin, hunts game, grows some food in a garden, and perhaps makes some nice wooden furniture to trade for other necessities, as long as they aren't trashing the environment where they live and dispose of garbage and what not properly and compost their waste.

How would said person pay for these supplies to build it and taxes on this log cabin? Just wondering. Oh right, selling furniture. :rolleyes:

How would said person pay for these supplies to build it and taxes on this log cabin? Just wondering. Oh right, selling furniture. :rolleyes:
Why are you rolling your eyes? Please explain to me as you would a child why someone shouldn't do everything they can to minimize the burden they place on their neighbors to live. I think we both know the answer, because some people are simply lazy and prefer a handout to hard work, or are more often than not are drunks/druggies. And if the argument is that they are so addicted that they are no longer of sound mind to make rational decisions for themselves, then they should be picked up by the police and put into a rehabilitation center, just as you wouldn't allow a mentally ill person to live on the streets and would institutionalize them. That's perfectly fine, but to just give handout after handout no strings attached is not.

Because having a trade to pay for the bare minimum subsistence living is common sense, and didn't deserve an answer. The Amish are absolutely wealthy from selling hand made wooden furniture, and there's youtube vids of guys living in the woods making log furniture. Its just beyond me why I have to even try to explain the value of doing some kind of useful job to try your best to carry at least your own weight in society to minimize your burden, if not contribute in a greater way to improve yourself and the country you live in. Again, can you explain to me why that shouldn't be a goal of everyone, and if its not mere laziness and instead is due to substance abuse, why they shouldn't be picked up by police for treatment accordingly?

Because having a trade to pay for the bare minimum subsistence living is common sense, and didn't deserve an answer.

Building an entire log cabin yourself isn't bare minimum living...lol. Waste of time talking with you so I digress.

Building an entire log cabin yourself isn't bare minimum living...lol. Waste of time talking with you so I digress.
Yes, its a lot of work, a temporary shelter can be built in the mean time using a tarp and several sticks (ask a native-american). Digress in what direction? You insisted I answer you, and yet you refuse the same courtesy. Should an individual not do everything in his power with a concerted effort to be self-sufficient rather than living off of handouts for life? And for those suffering from substance abuse, mental issues, or anything else that prevents them from being sound of mind to make decisions for themselves, should they not be picked up by police and brought to the appropriate institution for rehabilitation or care? There's simply no good reason to be tracking them to setup park benches and what not with ignorant people giving out money to complete strangers without any oversight into what its being used for as some sort of permanent solution. There are simply far too many people already in government housing with food stamps and plenty of handouts that are conning people into giving away even more money, and they need to be encouraged to get back to work and contribute to society in the capacity that they are able.

Yes, its a lot of work, a temporary shelter can be built in the mean time using a tarp and several sticks (ask a native-american).

On what land? Don't the native Americans have reservations that are tax exempt, no? Doesn't paying property taxes require a full time job? Doesn't having a full time job stop one from being able to "build their own log cabin, hunt game, grows some food in a garden, and perhaps makes some nice wooden furniture to trade for other necessities"?

The only people I know that grow gardens are retired people. Anecdotal of course. I know if I was out in some woods building my own log cabin I sure as hell wouldn't have time for anything else. Well unless I was rich and then this whole debate is stupid.

Digress in what direction? You insisted I answer you, and yet you refuse the same courtesy

I did ask for an answer that you refused to do, remember? What courtesy? Now, you wait two hours and come back.

Should an individual not do everything in his power with a concerted effort to be self-sufficient rather than living off of handouts for life?

Without doubt. The system is rigged though. Good people finish last. Most jobs made this year and last are almost minimum wage jobs people can't survive on unless they live in a cardboard box. The middle class has been shrinking for decades as well.

And for those suffering from substance abuse, mental issues, or anything else that prevents them from being sound of mind to make decisions for themselves, should they not be picked up by police and brought to the appropriate institution for rehabilitation or care?
Without doubt.

The same.

Said person would build them. Barter for them. Labor for them. Taxes? what taxes.

Said person would build them. Barter for them. Labor for them. Taxes? what taxes.

You can't just build a log cabin anywhere...lol. It's law enforced by guns that you have to actually own/rent the land and get permits to build on it. Stuff that takes money and money requires full time employment.

The opportunity for education is GUARANTEED, not the means to secure that opportunity. If GUARANTEED for you means FREE then no, but nothing is really free so I don't see your point. Someone must pay for it and just getting everyone through high school is not happening and it's gotten very expensive although it is GUARANTEED and that is the education I was referring to anyway, Higher education is another story but there is still a GUARANTEE of opportunity for that as well.

As for my world view, it's just fine where I sit. If your's is fucked up perhaps you should reassess your vantage point.

Whoa now, don't quote me on things I didn't say!

Your correct Tetris42 and I apologize, we were on such a roll I mistook VladD's post for your work.

It's VladD that needs to stop trying to make me fit .......

The opportunity for education is GUARANTEED, not the means to secure that opportunity. If GUARANTEED for you means FREE then no, but nothing is really free so I don't see your point. Someone must pay for it and just getting everyone through high school is not happening and it's gotten very expensive although it is GUARANTEED and that is the education I was referring to anyway, Higher education is another story but there is still a GUARANTEE of opportunity for that as well.

As for my world view, it's just fine where I sit. If your's is fucked up perhaps you should reassess your vantage point.

It still is not guaranteed. It is only GUARANTEED if you can afford which is a very very different thing. Like i said i was working full time while in school and still left with 40k in debt. Someone who wont qualify for the credit and cant afford the cost of tuition/living while in school simply cannot pursue it.

You yourself have said you are where you are because of the opportunity your parents gave you. So what the hell does someone who didn't have those same opportunities form their parents do? Your viewpoint is entirely narrow minded on YOUR experience alone.

Ducman69, please consider professional help.

Icpiper, the specifics of your life are not necessary going to apply to a different person, let alone today.

The fact is we are becoming a nation of less opportunity; less mobility; lower wages and less help on top of it.

Now on topic.. I think this GPS thing is a little stupid.. you could you know talk with the homeless.. I don't know, depending on how long they are required to keep this, they might modify their behavior too. I guess if they keep it long enough they will kind of forget about it, and then carry on more normal.

Uvaman, I agree, but not the way you think I do perhaps.

If opportunity is not as available today it's because people have become convinced that people shouldn't have to earn it, that it should be provided to them. But here is where that becomes a problem. Now as a parent it's not up to me to provide opportunity for my children and if I fail or come up short, for them to make it for themselves. Instead it is a gift from the State, a gift that is taken from all of us and managed by those appointed to the task. But those "managers" all need to be paid, they need office space to computer networks, it all costs so much more then if Mom and Pop just save what's needed along the way for the day little Timmy needs it. And then you have to wonder if the Education is going to come with strings attached, or if the funds start running short will these managers decide that some just are not going to qualify unless they are or do X or Y.

So there it is. The more you ask the Federal Government to do for you, the less you will get for your dollar, the fewer will qualify, and the less quality will be delivered. I think the specifics of my life should serve to highlight where people are today as opposed to my day.

I put two kids through college in two different ways because I had to learn the hard way myself. The first kid got a free ride which she abused and failed to gain real benefit from. I learned and though I had to admit to the second that it wasn't going to be fair that she would have to get loans for half her costs, even paying half was enough that she took her studies much more seriously knowing sooner or later the bill for the remainder would be coming to her mailbox and not mine. So I don't think I am too out of touch with the realities of today's education system and just what you get for your investment.

Still, I failed again in another manner with both my girls. The first got off to a great start, Civil Engineering and ROTC. But she was having too much fun playing reindeer games with the wana-be Soldiers and started blowing her grades then swapped an Engineering degree for Psych so she went from great chances on a good start to zilch, a black-hole degree. The second wants to be a big Animator, an Artist, super. She'll probably never earn squat as an Artist but I am still hopeful, supportive, just not optimistic. At least she married an optical Engineer who works for Raytheon. He's Mexican BTW, Mom is actually from Mexico, an import like mine except mine is Korean.

So there it is, even with Opportunity that is available, and provided or earned, still those life choices can leave someone sucking hind tit and blaming the system for their woes instead of their own choices.

It still is not guaranteed. It is only GUARANTEED if you can afford which is a very very different thing. Like i said i was working full time while in school and still left with 40k in debt. Someone who wont qualify for the credit and cant afford the cost of tuition/living while in school simply cannot pursue it.
Since when do you need a college education to not be a hobo sleeping on a park bench under newspaper?

Don't have a crapload of kids you can't afford, and even a minimum wage job is plenty to get an apartment with a room mate.

Save for a few rare non-diagnosed mentally ill people, being a hobo in America with the amount of government and private assistance available is a life choice. They choose to say "fuck it" and contribute nothing to the betterment of themselves or society, and whether or not they are addicted now at some point chose to drink too much or do drugs. In life, there are repercussions for your actions, and there should be personal accountability. Now out of the good will of the people, certainly we offer more than enough of a helping hand to get back on your feet, many many many times, but some people don't want a safety net, they want to use that net as a hammock.

You yourself have said you are where you are because of the opportunity your parents gave you. So what the hell does someone who didn't have those same opportunities form their parents do? Your viewpoint is entirely narrow minded on YOUR experience alone.

Vlad, for the most part all this still comes down to those choices people make. If someone is in a bad position then someone who was in a position to make a difference failed to make those right choices. It's not a narrow view, it's a view that makes no excuses for people who life their life on wishes and dreams instead of reality. My kids are a perfect example.

Since when do you need a college education to not be a hobo sleeping on a park bench under newspaper?

Don't have a crapload of kids you can't afford, and even a minimum wage job is plenty to get an apartment with a room mate.

Save for a few rare non-diagnosed mentally ill people, being a hobo in America with the amount of government and private assistance available is a life choice. They choose to say "fuck it" and contribute nothing to the betterment of themselves or society, and whether or not they are addicted now at some point chose to drink too much or do drugs. In life, there are repercussions for your actions, and there should be personal accountability. Now out of the good will of the people, certainly we offer more than enough of a helping hand to get back on your feet, many many many times, but some people don't want a safety net, they want to use that net as a hammock.

Ducman69, I find that although we have differences we also have similar outlooks on some things.

This day I am at work signing out-processing sheets for all the contractors on my task here working at NETCOM. Non of us really know who will get cut but we know that due to the Military budget cuts that out of about 230 positions that 90 or so are going to get cut. That's a pretty big cut, something like 40% or so. On top of that we here rumors that the remaining will be hit with salary cuts, and increased Certification requirements. So while they offer less, they also demand more.

Uh honestly I know of very few people who can afford college without financial aid. Any graduating high school senior can apply for financial aid and get it. Yes they may have to work a couple jobs and skimp and save but that is the sacrifice for the potential of a college education.

Sacrifice is apparently something forgotten but when I went to school I worked 3 part time jobs and took 18 units a semester to get out early. If you want something bad enough there is a way to achieve it through the system currently in place.

If you are impoverished, a minority or special status, or first generation college student there are tons of opportunities to attend college on almost a free ride. If you want more information check your local educational opportunity center or similar organization.

Back