Tracking Cookies Gone in Five Years?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
According to Paul Cimino, VP at Brilig, the tracking cookie will no longer be around to bother us in about five years. He should have some insight into the its status since he was employed with the company that created the tracking cookie in the beginning. Let’s all hope his insight is correct and his prediction comes true.

“At my former company, my peers were the people who created cookies. We didn’t create them for this. It’s a very weak computing mechanism. It’s flawed, invasive, it’s got privacy issues, it’s going to go,” he said.

When you have supercookies/evercookies why use regular ones?
http://samy.pl/evercookie/

I'm running chrome and I have it set to block all cookies & plugins and the only one evercookie was able to set was the window.name one. And I did some testing and the window.name seems to only work per-site & per-session, so there's no real problem there.

Almost everyone who doesn't use Chrome is blowing their cookies. :eek:

I'm running chrome and I have it set to block all cookies & plugins and the only one evercookie was able to set was the window.name one. And I did some testing and the window.name seems to only work per-site & per-session, so there's no real problem there.

Just a matter of time before they force you to allow cookies for no good reason. Like they used to do years ago. Oh how history repeats itself.

This guy talks like 'it's all about his company'. Makes me wonder if he has any real understanding of what a "cookie" is.

It isn't going to be the elimination of cookies. It will be the elimination of the ability to get rid of them. The premise of the article though does make perfect sense considering the thing that "apps" are at this point. Who needs cookies when you can get people to install your "app"? That's not to mention the whole thing about the Facebook "like" buttons.

It will all be the same thing five years from now...it'll just have a different name or it'll be something hidden away.

They don't need cookies anymore to track you, the websites share the data now to a central database. The cookie was a just the first step..cross server data sharing is the next.

I'm surprised the css history knocking and web caching ones didn't make it through. Do you also have javascript disabled?

5 years is to long by then they have another mechanism in place which does the same but isn't called cookies. Sadly the industry is here to fuck normal users over by selling god know how much data , if you really want to get scared find some articles about Goolge and their search engine.

Cookies had an "okay" purpose since then people been abusing it ever since i would hope for a total ban on cookies all together it is an unfair uncalled for data storage which can(and will) be abused. All in the name of selling data on persons. Which in no way we allow in priavte life.

If you get asked the questions in real life no one would even consider doing these things yet when it is called cookies people are okay with it.

I'm surprised the css history knocking and web caching ones didn't make it through. Do you also have javascript disabled?

I have javascript enabled for all sites.

Just a matter of time before they force you to allow cookies for no good reason. Like they used to do years ago. Oh how history repeats itself.

A lot of sites already do, so I have to keep a lengthy whitelist of site exceptions. That doesn't really bother me much. If a site (a first-party) wants to store some information to identify you that only they can access and they have your permission to do it - I don't see a privacy issue there.

The really bad cookies for privacy are the third-party cookies (like the doubleclick.net cookie that hardforum.com tries to set :D).

Sadly the industry is here to fuck normal users over by selling god know how much data , if you really want to get scared find some articles about Goolge and their search engine.

I hear that man, my girlfriend was taking a shower and when she got out, there it was - the google streetview cam looking right into the window.

We need to get the message out there, bro.

YjbHJmG.jpg

Back