trace width in Eagle?

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
I'm using Eagle to design another PC board, and I realized I don't know how to set the trace width. I have some high-current signals on this board, and I want to set them to be wider, as well as routed further away from the other pads and traces.

Can this be done in the "lite" version of Eagle? How?

Click "change"(the little wrench icon on the left toolbar), select the width, then click the trace you want to change. If you want to do your own routing for those traces, you can always ripup the autorouted traces and lay down your own. When you are routing your own traces, you can also select the width from the top toolbar. I'm sure there's some way to have the autorouter use the special width and spacing for those traces, but I have no idea how to do that.

Thanks; I'll give "change" a shot. I'd really like to have it done automatically after identifying the nets in the schematic that need the thick trace (eg, that will be carrying the high voltage and current).

For the schematic. Select EDIT->Net Classes and add the different net classes you want with their default trace width. If you want to change the ones you have, select EDIT->Change->Class, select the class you want and just start clicking on nets and they will change to the one you selected.

Autoroute blows.

I would say make classes and people have described above...

i liek to have a signal class and a power class.. with the power class being wider of course..

DirtyLude said:
Autoroute blows.

It can save a lot of work for the less-intricate parts of a board. I just designed a board with an SSOP USB chip on it and had to hand-route that, but otherwise, the autorouter did a pretty good job.

i like auto route... i mean is there aren't any parts that are sensitive to certain things (like RF) then autoroute does the trick for me...

Back