[TR] AMD's Kojuri: "free-sync" isn't supported by current monitors, requires DP 1.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AMD faithful agree on it. Sure. You can call me the fanboy all you want, no fucks given. What I find telling is that instead of acknowledging the fact that free-sync isn't free, and won't be happening anytime soon, probably not in 2014 in fact - that you'd rather attack me instead. I would expect no less from AMD's faithful fans. Don't take that the wrong way. I don't have an issue with anyone being an AMD fan. Everyone has their preferences, and that is cool by me. It's whatever.

It is quite humorous that instead of arguing facts, that you're attacking me instead. Instead of acknowledging that AMD was deceptive in their description of free sync being "Free" (which is isn't). Instead of acknowledging the fact that free-sync probably won't appear in 2014. It's easier to deflect the from the fact that AMD's marketing had you all hook line and sinker by attacking the messenger. That's fine by me. In the other thread, you all were under the impression that you'd be able to get free-sync imminently. At no cost. You now know that isn't happening. It's almost as if AMD's deceptive marketing stunt for free-sync doesn't bother you at all. The fact that it isn't happening anytime soon, doesn't bother you at all. The fact that it isn't "free" doesn't bother you at all. It doesn't bother you. But you'll just attack me for posting facts instead. It's whatever. No fucks given.

I used to buy into AMD's marketing and promises. I'll tell you what. I've owned enough AMD hardware to know better. I've given AMD thousands of dollars for GPUs in the past 5 years. Me, the supposed "nvidia fanboy". I can't tell you how many promises for 7970CF weren't delivered. Like I said. I know better than taking anything AMD says at face value. I suggest you eye anything AMD's marketing tells you with a critical eye. This is a prime example - they had you all thinking that a free g-sync alternative was coming really soon. And it isn't happening. Is anyone upset that AMD's marketing had you believing otherwise? Apparently not, but you'll just attack the messenger instead. What...ever.

Don't post any facts or news about AMD putting them in a bad light because this is what you will get
AMD-Fanboy_zps35ff6959.jpg

IT requires an entirely new displayport 1.3 interface
G-Sync requires a new interface too. It's using DisplayPort in ways not supported by any standard DP 1.2 monitor.

Same deal. Both AMD and Nvidia are using variable v-blank to tell the display when to refresh. Both solutions require features from eDP, both solutions require monitors to support said features.

G-Sync requires a new interface too. It's using DisplayPort in ways not supported by any standard DP 1.2 monitor.

Same deal. Both AMD and Nvidia are using variable v-blank to tell the display when to refresh. Both solutions require features from eDP, both solutions require monitors to support said features.

G-Sync works with existing hardware and DP 1.2, not requiring any eDP or DP 1.3 features. All it requires is a different handling of the DP link between GPU and display so that the latter is synced to the frequency of the GPU instead of the other way around as used to be the case.

A whole batch of G-Sync-capable monitors are already being rolled out this year as well: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/30.htm#benq_xl_g-sync

At this point FreeSync is a 'pie in the sky' proposition without all of the benefits of GSync as it'd only use the VBlank feature which would require speculative FPS prediction, something which is impossible for games.

G-Sync works with existing hardware and DP 1.2
Incorrect. No DP 1.2 monitor supports variable v-blank. This is exactly the same issue AMD has run into, which is why they used eDP for their initial tests (which does support variable v-blank).

Monitors equipped with a G-Sync module support variable v-blank through a special extended version of DisplayPort. It's not part of the standard 1.2 implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back