[TR] AMD's Kojuri: "free-sync" isn't supported by current monitors, requires DP 1.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

xoleras

2[H]4U
CES — On the show floor here at CES today, I spoke briefly with Nvidia's Tom Petersen, the executive instrumental in the development of G-Sync technology, about the AMD "free sync" demo we reported on yesterday. Alongside the demo, a senior AMD engineering executive asserted that a variable refresh rate capability like G-Sync ought to be possible essentially for free, without adding any extra costs to a display or a PC system. Peterson had several things to say in response to AMD's demo and claims.

He first said, of course, that he was excited to see his competitor taking an interest in dynamic refresh rates and thinking that the technology could offer benefits for gamers. In his view, AMD interest was validation of Nvidia's work in this area.

However, Petersen quickly pointed out an important detail about AMD's "free sync" demo: it was conducted on laptop systems. Laptops, he explained, have a different display architecture than desktops, with a more direct interface between the GPU and the LCD panel, generally based on standards like LVDS or eDP (embedded DisplayPort). Desktop monitors use other interfaces, like HDMI and DisplayPort, and typically have a scaler chip situated in the path between the GPU and the panel. As a result, a feature like variable refresh is nearly impossible to implement on a desktop monitor as things now stand.

That, Petersen explained, is why Nvidia decided to create its G-Sync module, which replaces the scaler ASIC with logic of Nvidia's own creation. To his knowledge, no scaler ASIC with variable refresh capability exists—and if it did, he said, "we would know." Nvidia's intent in building the G-Sync module was to enable this capability and thus to nudge the industry in the right direction.

When asked about a potential VESA standard to enable dynamic refresh rates, Petersen had something very interesting to say: he doesn't think it's necessary, because DisplayPort already supports "everything required" for dynamic refresh rates via the extension of the vblank interval. That's why, he noted, G-Sync works with existing cables without the need for any new standards. Nvidia sees no need and has no plans to approach VESA about a new standard for G-Sync-style functionality—because it already exists.

That said, Nvidia won't enable G-Sync for competing graphics chips because it has invested real time and effort in building a good solution and doesn't intend to "do the work for everyone." If the competition wants to have a similar feature in its products, Petersen said, "They have to do the work. They have to hire the guys to figure it out."

This sentiment is a familiar one coming from Nvidia. The company tends to view its GeForce GPUs and related solutions as a platform, much like the Xbox One or PS4. Although Nvidia participates in the larger PC gaming ecosystem, it has long been guarded about letting its competitors reap the benefits of its work in various areas, from GPU computing to PhysX to software enablement of advanced rendering techniques in AAA games.

Like it or not, there is a certain competitive wisdom in not handing off the fruits of your work to your competition free of charge. That's not, however, how big PC players like Intel and AMD have traditionally handled new standards like USB and x86-64. (Intel in particular has done a lot of work "for everyone.")

If you recall our report from yesterday on this subject, Nvidia and AMD do seem to agree on some of the key issues here. Both firms have told us that the technology to support variable refresh rates exists in some cases already. Both have said that the biggest challenge to widespread adoption of the tech on the desktop is support among panel (and scaler ASIC) makers. They tend to disagree on the best means of pushing variable refresh tech into wider adoption. Obviously, after looking at the landscape, Nvidia chose to build the G-Sync module and enable the feature itself.

My sense is that AMD will likely work with the existing scaler ASIC makers and monitor makers, attempting to persuade them to support dynamic refresh rates in their hardware. Now that Nvidia has made a splash with G-Sync, AMD could find this path easier simply because monitor makers may be more willing to add a feature with obvious consumer appeal. We'll have to see how long it takes for "free sync" solutions to come to market. We've seen a number of G-Sync-compatible monitors announced here at CES, and most of them are expected to hit store shelves in the second quarter of 2014.

Source:

http://techreport.com/news/25878/nvidia-responds-to-amd-free-sync-demo
http://lucca.hardforum.com/rewrite/...ync&id=1&match=1&source=none&destination=none

Last edited:
AMD made it sound as if everyone could get this free of charge. Apparently, they have to buy new monitors. On top of that, the firmware must support variable vblank (and AMD must work with panel makers to make that happen). On top of this, the panels must support displayport 1.3. No monitors currently do. This works on laptops because laptops support eDP. Desktop monitors do not support eDP.

This is what AMD's Kodjuri stated:

Koduri told me that AMD wasn't bringing this demo out to rain on NVIDIA's G-Sync parade but instead to get media interested in learning about this feature of eDP 1.0 and DP 1.3, urging the hardware companies responsible to more quickly produce the necessary controllers and integrate them with upcoming panels in 2014.

Desktop panels, again, do not support eDP 1.0 or DP 1.3 yet. So free-sync requires new monitors, no current desktop monitors will work with free sync.

Last edited:
So I was trying to figure out where you typed out a big long post shitting on Nvidias G-sync for not being compatible with any current monitors and couldn't find it. The fact that you couldn't just rant and rave in the already established freesync thread greatly illustrates your rabid hatred of AMD.

I'm sorry that you're so upset. But that doesn't change the fact that AMD's free sync will not materialize anytime soon.

There's also a big difference between free-sync and g-sync. G-sync monitors exist right now. Free-sync monitors won't even show up in 2014, it appears. IT requires an entirely new displayport 1.3 interface. So, essentially, G-sync is ready to hit the ground running, while Free-sync won't show up in 2014 in all likelihood. Not unless AMD can convince panel makers to adopt variable vblank and displayport 1.3. Do you think AMD will do that? I don't know. Those are the facts jack.

More from PCPer:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...h-FreeSync-Could-Be-Alternative-NVIDIA-G-Sync

All that is needed for this to work, as AMD explained it, was an eDP connection between the discrete GPU and the display, a controller for the screen that understands the variable refresh rate methods of eDP 1.0 specifications and an updated AMD driver to properly send it the signals. The panel can communicate that it supports this variable refresh technology to the graphics card through the EDID as resolutions and timings are communicated today and then the graphics driver would know to send the varying vblank signals to adjust panel refresh times on the fly.

If you aren't familiar with eDP, don't feel bad. It's a connection type used in tablets and notebooks and isn't used at all in desktop configurations (some all-in-one designs do use eDP). But here is where it might get interesting: the upcoming DisplayPort 1.3 standard actually includes the same variable refresh rate specification. That means that upcoming DP 1.3 panels COULD support variable refresh technology in an identical way to what we saw demoed with the Toshiba laptops today. DP 1.3 is on schedule to be ratified as a standard in the next 60-90 days and from there we'll have some unknown wait time before we begin to see monitors using DP 1.3 technology in them.

To be clear, just because a monitor would run with DisplayPort 1.3 doesn't guarantee this feature would work. It also requires the controller on the display to understand and be compatible with the variable refresh portions of the spec, which with eDP 1.0 at least, isn't required. AMD is hoping that with the awareness they are building with stories like this display designers will actually increase the speed of DP 1.3 adoption and include support for variable refresh rate with them. That would mean an ecosystem of monitors that could potentially support variable speed refresh on both AMD and NVIDIA cards. All that would be needed on the PC side is a software update for both Radeon and GeForce graphics cards.

Even displayport 1.3 doesn't guarantee that this will work. AMD has to convince panel makers to add support for variable refresh.

So panel manufacturers can choose to sign on with nvidia's proprietary design which comes with probably extensive contract clauses, royalty payments, maybe upfront "encouragement" mobey...etc... or adopt the new essentially free VESA standard....

hmmm...

That's part of it. Displayport 1.3 is baseline, but that doesn't guarantee that free-sync will work. This is all explained at PCPer.

AMD has to get specific controller and firmware added to these monitors to support variable refresh. That is not part of DP 1.3. Again, this is all mentioned at PCPer. So AMD has to convince panel manufacturers to adopt their tech, and variable refresh isn't part of the DP 1.3 standard as of yet. It requires a specific controller. So it requires added hardware just like G-sync does.

Didn't Nvidia have to convince panel makers to add in G-Sync? What's the difference other than one adds $100 - $200 to a monitor, going by Nvidia's track record proprietary, and one is software based so it works with both camps? I agree with DarkStarCow; Man you really do hate AMD. :)

Add a reference to the first post. For a second there I thought you were pretending to work for the press or something. Right now it looks like plagiarism even if unintended.

Actually, free-sync requires a controller as well as mentioned by PCPer. Will that add to the cost? I don't think it's actually "free". It seems to me that an additional controller board, as required by free-sync, wouldn't be free at all. I could be wrong though. But in any case, when are these monitors hitting the market?

As far as hating AMD. I don't hate AMD. But I am sick of their slick marketing and misdelivered promises. And i'll tell you why. I've used quite a bit of AMD hardware over the years, and i'm willing to bet AMD has received more of my money in the past 5 years than they have from you. :) Most recently with 7970CF. I am cynical of AMD as a direct result of them failing me on numerous fronts with my former 7970CF cards. Add free-sync as another one of their deceptive marketing practices - I mean they had all of you believing that you would get a free g-sync alternative without having to spend a dime. That isn't happening, apparently.

Free-sync is also a misnomer. Since free-sync requires a new monitor, with a new controller (AMD must convince panel makers to use it), and requires DP 1.3. Current monitors support none of the above. I also know of zero monitors that are being developed which support the 3 above requirements.

So what exactly is your point? that AMD has come up with something shitty because it isn't free and isn't compatible with current monitors? If so, why aren't you making threads bitching about Nvidia? If not, well why are you making threads bitching about it when their is already a thread on Freesync.

So what exactly is your point? that AMD has come up with something shitty because it isn't free and isn't compatible with current monitors? If so, why aren't you making threads bitching about Nvidia? If not, well why are you making threads bitching about it when their is already a thread on Freesync.

He has no clue ;) that is why he made the post in the 1st place , where can you find someone that is objective about AMD in the Nvidia camp. I thought Vblank was a really old VESA standard to begin with :)

/facepalm.

Free Sync sucks, Mantle Sucks, AMD Drivers suck, Tressfx sucks.

Gsync rocks, Physx is the next best thing, Shield is a must have, and the new tegra will revolutionize mobile gaming.

I think this about sums up the OP's opinion

/facepalm.

Free Sync sucks, Mantle Sucks, AMD Drivers suck, Tressfx sucks.

Gsync rocks, Physx is the next best thing, Shield is a must have, and the new tegra will revolutionize mobile gaming.

I think this about sums up the OP's opinion

All we need now is PRIME1's unbiased opinion...

All we need now is PRIME1's unbiased opinion...

You think its bad here, you should see them on other hardware website forums with Xoleras and Prime1. It's like both of them are paid by Nvidia to create these threads to cause internet traffic.

Nvidia has been known to do this.

P.S. I also have been called an AMD Fanboy from Prime1 (looks at sig with a 780 gtx). Good times ahead!

You think its bad here, you should see them on other hardware website forums with Xoleras and Prime1. It's like both of them are paid by Nvidia to create these threads to cause internet traffic.

Other website forums. I visit about 3 forums and that's it, heh. On that note, since you alluded to it, I wish I were sponsored for free hardware. Sadly i'm not affiliated with nvidia, however I do like the fact that they put their money where their mouth is. I wish AMD did the same. If you want to accuse me of being a shill, I could sit here and say POT KETTLE BLACK. Are there AMD shills in this thread? I don't know. Are you an AMD shill? I don't know. I don't accuse anyone of that because I don't know. But there have been AMD shills caught at other forums - and subsequently banned at those forums. As far as shilling goes? There were shills hired by AMD who were caught and banned at Anandtech. I won't go into details there, but if you want I can via PM.

Anyway, If you want to argue with what I posted, feel free. Everything in the OP is factual. Free-sync isn't happening anytime soon, and probably won't be happening in 2014.

Like I said. AMD led you to believe free-sync was imminent. Instead, these are the facts:

Freesync requires DP 1.3. This is a non finalizard standard.
Freesync requires a new monitor controller board.
Freesync does not exist on any current panel, nor does it exist in any panel being developed.

if you want to argue with those facts, feel free. Everything I posted is 100% factual, as confirmed by AMD's head graphics engineer. If it bothers you, i'm sorry.

So let me get this straight. You have to have an updated chip on monitors from both companies to make this variable sync work? About the only difference is the AMD monitor's may be cheaper to implement than the NV ones? And there are already monitors implemented with the NV chip? Why all the hate?

As I said here are the 3 requirements:

Freesync does not exist on any current panel, nor does it exist in any panel being developed.

Displayport 1.3 isn't finalized. That could be an issue. I also don't hate a free alternative. But now that we know the facts, free-sync actually isn't a "free" alternative. I mean who wouldn't want free g-sync? But that isn't happening.

AMD's solution also won't work as an add-in board. It requires an entirely new monitor with a new interface and new controller board, that supports DP 1.3. Key differences there.

Other website forums. I visit about 3 forums and that's it, heh. On that note, since you alluded to it, I wish I were sponsored for free hardware. Sadly i'm not affiliated with nvidia, however I do like the fact that they put their money where their mouth is. I wish AMD did the same. If you want to accuse me of being a shill, I could sit here and say POT KETTLE BLACK. Are there AMD shills in this thread? I don't know. Are you an AMD shill? I don't know. I don't accuse anyone of that because I don't know. But there have been AMD shills caught at other forums - and subsequently banned at those forums. As far as shilling goes? There were shills hired by AMD who were caught and banned at Anandtech. I won't go into details there, but if you want I can via PM.

Anyway, If you want to argue with what I posted, feel free. Everything in the OP is factual. Free-sync isn't happening anytime soon, and probably won't be happening in 2014.

Like I said. AMD led you to believe free-sync was imminent. Instead, these are the facts:

if you want to argue with those facts, feel free. Everything I posted is 100% factual, as confirmed by AMD's head graphics engineer. If it bothers you, i'm sorry.

But I still have to buy new monitors for NV based solutions anyway? And that isn't going to happen with mainstream gamers for a while as they are not going to throw out perfectly good monitors for just this tech. By that time both products may be widely implemented on the market. Isn't choice good?

Yes, choice is good. I don't disagree with you there. I don't like the fact that AMD intentionally marketed this as a free "g-sync" alternative , and we all THOUGHT it would work on current panels. And we thought it would be happening really soon.

That isn't the case. But as far as choice and competition, i'm totally with you. More choices are good. More competition is good.

Am I missing something? All I read in the OP is that Free-Sync is similar to G-Sync (practically anyway - as in, I'll still need new hardware for it).

P.S. I also have been called an AMD Fanboy from Prime1 (looks at sig with a 780 gtx). Good times ahead!

There is no free sync for anyone at the moment but does that matter not really. If you are talking proprietary stuff that Nvidia would like everyone to buy their stuff.

AMD does not care for this and puts it out in the open. For Nvidia to react so sour and bash something that is far from finalized means that it is possible to do this without buying their hardware.

To post this in the manner Xoleras did is simply stupid. We all agree on that :)

To post this in the manner Xoleras did is simply stupid. We all agree on that :)

The AMD faithful agree on it. Sure. You can call me the fanboy all you want, no fucks given. What I find telling is that instead of acknowledging the fact that free-sync isn't free, and won't be happening anytime soon, probably not in 2014 in fact - that you'd rather attack me instead. I would expect no less from AMD's faithful fans. Don't take that the wrong way. I don't have an issue with anyone being an AMD fan. Everyone has their preferences, and that is cool by me. It's whatever.

It is quite humorous that instead of arguing facts, that you're attacking me instead. Instead of acknowledging that AMD was deceptive in their description of free sync being "Free" (which is isn't). Instead of acknowledging the fact that free-sync probably won't appear in 2014. It's easier to deflect the from the fact that AMD's marketing had you all hook line and sinker by attacking the messenger. That's fine by me. In the other thread, you all were under the impression that you'd be able to get free-sync imminently. At no cost. You now know that isn't happening. It's almost as if AMD's deceptive marketing stunt for free-sync doesn't bother you at all. The fact that it isn't happening anytime soon, doesn't bother you at all. The fact that it isn't "free" doesn't bother you at all. It doesn't bother you. But you'll just attack me for posting facts instead. It's whatever. No fucks given.

I used to buy into AMD's marketing and promises. I'll tell you what. I've owned enough AMD hardware to know better. I've given AMD thousands of dollars for GPUs in the past 5 years. Me, the supposed "nvidia fanboy". I can't tell you how many promises for 7970CF weren't delivered. Like I said. I know better than taking anything AMD says at face value. I suggest you eye anything AMD's marketing tells you with a critical eye. This is a prime example - they had you all thinking that a free g-sync alternative was coming really soon. And it isn't happening. Is anyone upset that AMD's marketing had you believing otherwise? Apparently not, but you'll just attack the messenger instead. What...ever.

Last edited:
No, I wish I were though. I'd love to get free nvidia gear. That said, are you an AMD shill? I think it's great that you just now registered to tell me this. Thank you.

And this was confirmed by AMD's head graphics engineer, Kodjuri:

Koduri told me that AMD wasn't bringing this demo out to rain on NVIDIA's G-Sync parade but instead to get media interested in learning about this feature of eDP 1.0 and DP 1.3, urging the hardware companies responsible to more quickly produce the necessary controllers and integrate them with upcoming panels in 2014.

This is all outlined at PCPer and techreport. Confirmed by AMD's head graphics guy. So let's review here. AMD's head graphics engineer confirmed that this will not work on current panels and requires new panels with new controller boards. Not free. Even though it's called "free-sync". Thank you for registering to tell me this, are you working at AMD HQ, spitball? Getting some damage control in? I normally wouldn't ask this, but since you asked an equally idiotic question, i'll reciprocate. I'll ask if you're the AMD shill. I don't know, but since you just registered, it could be a possibility.

Wow. some delusional bullshit you're spewing here. This whole situation is classic nvidia vs AMD right now. Nvidia's first thought is to make it closed, proprietary, and expensive. AMD's retort is to develop a more open product that could easily work without expensive proprietary hardware (dedicated ASIC/FPGA) if integrated into the next gen standard.

So now that we've established that you'll need a new monitor for BOTH technologies, why would you rather pay for one that will only ever work with nvidia cards vs one that uses a standard supported by AMD that could also easily be supported by nVidia?

And before you accuse, I've had this handle referring to AMD since 2003 (over at pcper), before the ATI acquisition, and have used many nvidia cards since then

No, I wish I were though. I'd love to get free nvidia gear. That said, are you an AMD shill? I think it's great that you just now registered to tell me this. Thank you.

And this was confirmed by AMD's head graphics engineer, Kodjuri:

This is all outlined at PCPer and techreport. Confirmed by AMD's head graphics guy. So let's review here. AMD's head graphics engineer confirmed that this will not work on current panels and requires new panels with new controller boards. Not free. Even though it's called "free-sync". Thank you for registering to tell me this, are you working at AMD HQ, spitball? Getting some damage control in? I normally wouldn't ask this, but since you asked an equally idiotic question, i'll reciprocate. I'll ask if you're the AMD shill. I don't know, but since you just registered, it could be a possibility.

Everybody but you is working for AMD (that are posting in the thread) stop being so paranoid ;) .

The AMD faithful agree on it. Sure. You can call me the fanboy all you want, no fucks given. What I find telling is that instead of acknowledging the fact that free-sync isn't free, and won't be happening anytime soon, probably not in 2014 in fact - that you'd rather attack me instead. I would expect no less from AMD's faithful fans. Don't take that the wrong way. I don't have an issue with anyone being an AMD fan. Everyone has their preferences, and that is cool by me. It's whatever.

It is quite humorous that instead of arguing facts, that you're attacking me instead. Instead of acknowledging that AMD was deceptive in their description of free sync being "Free" (which is isn't). Instead of acknowledging the fact that free-sync probably won't appear in 2014. It's easier to deflect the from the fact that AMD's marketing had you all hook line and sinker by attacking the messenger. That's fine by me. In the other thread, you all were under the impression that you'd be able to get free-sync imminently. At no cost. You now know that isn't happening. It's almost as if AMD's deceptive marketing stunt for free-sync doesn't bother you at all. The fact that it isn't happening anytime soon, doesn't bother you at all. The fact that it isn't "free" doesn't bother you at all. It doesn't bother you. But you'll just attack me for posting facts instead. It's whatever. No fucks given.

I used to buy into AMD's marketing and promises. I'll tell you what. I've owned enough AMD hardware to know better. I can't tell you how many promises for 7970CF weren't delivered. Like I said. I know better than taking anything AMD says at face value. I suggest you eye anything AMD's marketing tells you with a critical eye. This is a prime example - they had you all thinking that a free g-sync alternative was coming really soon. And it isn't happening.

No, the Anandtech article was more or less AMD showing off a demo of what could be done with existing standards and a little software engineering know how. So what you're saying is that those notebook computers had different hardware in them than what would come standard? Everyone knew that monitors on the desktop are different from a notebook's. AMD never promised us a pony. They said that they would look into it. Going by your article there is a good chance that they can have it added to the new Displayport standard so Intel, AMD, Nvidia, or anyone else can benefit from it. Nvidia just wants to horde all the cookies.

I like people that share. Ask Rambus about the cookies they horded and how far that got them. Ask IBM about Micro Channel Architecture butter cookies. PC is an open architecture; that's what makes it great. An open architecture makes for open minded thinking. Open minded thinking makes for standards that are shared across platforms so that the consumer doesn't have to buy 100 cables to hook up their new purchase.

So you really think it's a great idea for a monitor manufacturer to have specific inventory for Nvidia based systems, AMD based systems, Intel based systems, and whatever else might come in the future? Or is it smarter to write an all inclusive standard for everyone that is researched and agreed upon by all parties involved?

Are these additional controllers/circuit boards they need to add or just need to update the current ones to add additional features such as DP 1.3? Don't know but the latter one should be relatively cheap to implement?

So let me get this straight. You have to have an updated chip on monitors from both companies to make this variable sync work? About the only difference is the AMD monitor's may be cheaper to implement than the NV ones? And there are already monitors implemented with the NV chip? Why all the hate?

The difference is:

" no scaler ASIC with variable refresh capability exists"

The AMD solution will be software based (if it ever comes out). Which will also require Vsync. So you can expect lag and stutter as well.

As I said here are the 3 requirements:

Displayport 1.3 isn't finalized. That could be an issue. I also don't hate a free alternative. But now that we know the facts, free-sync actually isn't a "free" alternative. I mean who wouldn't want free g-sync? But that isn't happening.

AMD's solution also won't work as an add-in board. It requires an entirely new monitor with a new interface and new controller board, that supports DP 1.3. Key differences there.

I'm not sure where you got that AMD lead us to believe freesync was imminent. From what I understood, Freesync is a standard that already exists, and would need to be implemented by monitor vendors, and currently only exists in the Laptop world. On that note

To Answer your rant:

DP 1.3 is a standard that anyone can use, G-Sync is not.

Both Freesync and Gsync will require new controllers, however G-Sync control boards will probably cost more since the manufacturer will have to license them from NV, where as FreeSync ones can be developed by anyone implementing DP1.3 into their panel.

Can you buy a G-Sync monitor currently?

I saw a $800 Asus TN panel w/ G-Sync revealed at CES. Don't know when it goes on sale though.

what matters to the panel makers is the bottom line. gsync pirce of entry 200$ vs 0$ for stuff thats already in a standard.

classy apple move

The guys on here wanting amd to get into the monitor business and nvidia can do no wrong attitude is painfully funny.

Digital Storm: Pre-order
Overlord: Out of stock, or you send your monitor them to be modded for $275
Falcon Northwest: Only available with new or existing Falcon Northwest Systems
Maingear: No option to order.

Yup, super available.

He is known to post links without having a clue of what they contain.

Like I said. AMD led you to believe free-sync was imminent.

They did? I read about it in AT's article and AMD gave no impression that it was close to imminent, quite the opposite actually. They even stated the extra hardware and standards requirements. Maybe you'd think it was imminent if you're a fool...

AT Article said:
According to AMD, there’s been a push to bring variable refresh rate display panels to mobile for a while now in hopes of reducing power consumption (refreshing a display before new content is available wastes power, sort of the same reason we have panel self refresh displays). There’s apparently already a VESA standard for controlling VBLANK intervals. The GPU’s display engine needs to support it, as do the panel and display hardware itself. If all of the components support this spec however, then you can get what appears to be the equivalent of G-Sync without any extra hardware.
AMD isn’t ready to productize this nor does it have a public go to market strategy, but my guess is we’ll see more panel vendors encouraged to include support for variable VBLANK

Nothing AMD told AT says that it's totally free and imminent.

G-Sync had me interested when it was announced. i.e. if I could have purchased their module when it was announced then I would have gotten it. At it stands now I don't see any reason to get G-sync until things settle down.

I'm still not convinced someone running at 120/144hz needs gsync/freesync would see huge benefits. But I won't know until I try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back