TPU AMD RX 6600 XT Review

Hallyday

Limp Gawd
Here you go, a full review of the dual fan Strix: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-6600-xt-strix-oc/

Seems like the retailers` prices will obviously be high enough to make this kinda not worth it outside of OEM systems, since it's about as fast as my 2080. Single 8-pin though if that matters to you. It's also PCI-E x8 (not that it matters if you're on 4.0), and gets a %9.2 performance uplift from overclocking, which seems to be somewhat the most impressive - compared to other cards of this gen.

The only thing I care about now is, will it be obtainable at MSRP and fast will it get scalped out of existance???
My 5700 XT may have died this week and I'm limping on my emergency backup gpu - a GTX 1030

Last edited:
You may be able to snag one if you're both extremely lucky and fast enough. On the somehow bright side, the PCB on this card seems beastier than the ones on 3060 Ti's of this caliber. For whatever that matters to anyone. Ebay may be a way... as it's been recently with some $700 6700 XTs.

Here you go, a full review of the dual fan Strix: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-6600-xt-strix-oc/

Seems like the retailers` prices will obviously be high enough to make this kinda not worth it outside of OEM systems, since it's about as fast as my 2080. Single 8-pin though if that matters to you. It's also PCI-E x8 (not that it matters if you're on 4.0), and gets a %9.2 performance uplift from overclocking, which seems to be somewhat the most impressive - compared to other cards of this gen.

Even at normal msrp price, this is just as pathetic as the 6700 XT.

The thing trades blows with the 3060 once you go to 1440p, and in every RT game they tested , the 3060 is noticeably faster (even for direct AMD console ports like this one:)

watch-dogs-legion-rt-1920-1080.png

Yet another boring, overpriced midrange card from AMD (well, at least this time around, RDNA2 can TECHNICALLY Raytrace!)

Last edited:
You specifically picked Wash Dogs and with RT where AMD falls worse though... I wouldn't really count that alone as a big downside. Personally, with cards of this echelon, I don't care about RT at all. I personally want higher than 60 FPS and that makes me not bother with RT. If this card was 3060 Ti level like some of the earlier sayings, I might have looked into picking one up for this PC. But since it performs similar to my 2080, I won't bother unless I happen to see one for dirt cheap.

The original MSRP of the 6700 XT was $480, just checked. Considering AMD or even Nvidia had no other 2080 Ti level of performance card for $480, it would be FAR fetched to say that card is pathetic. I've seen people buy it for $500 by using Discord service / bots. That's a really good deal at this time and date. I don't understand what problem you have with it as even at the scalped Ebay $700, it's still one of the more sensible cards to buy.

You specifically picked Wash Dogs and with RT where AMD falls worse though... I wouldn't really count that alone as a big downside. Personally, with cards of this echelon, I don't care about RT at all. I personally want higher than 60 FPS and that makes me not bother with RT. If this card was 3060 Ti level like some of the earlier sayings, I might have looked into picking one up for this PC. But since it performs similar to my 2080, I won't bother unless I happen to see one for dirt cheap.

The original MSRP of the 6700 XT was $480, just checked. Considering AMD or even Nvidia had no other 2080 Ti level of performance card for $480, it would be FAR fetched to say that card is pathetic. I've seen people buy it for $500 by using Discord service / bots. That's a really good deal at this time and date. I don't understand what problem you have with it as even at the scalped Ebay $700, it's still one of the more sensible cards to buy.

So, basically, you're just making more excused "wrong game, and oh by the way, who really needs RT when it sucks that bad?", all the whilre ignoring the fact that you can lower the settings lower tha TPUs typical MAX SETTINGS

Sounds like the same level of excuses / truth avoidance Star Citizen True Believers make up.

Hey look at these playable framerates from this "shitty RT card", while almost getting half the performance of the 3060 Ti

RT_REV.png

And then this one should be a gimme, as it's native Vulkan:

RT_Doom.png

Oh wait no, its getting rolled 3x by the 256-bit $400 card!

Even taking DLSS out of thhe equation, this card gets stomped in RT (even for console ports like Village)

Last edited:
I really don't care about these benchmarks you're putting for my own self. Like I said, I was talking from a personal perspective. I played RE Village and it was one of the biggest loads of crap I've ever played (the moment he put his cut off hand back in place was the moment I uninstalled). The graphics weren't even always great with the bells and whistles turned on, on my overclocked Duke 2080.

If you can get me some more realistic benches like Warzone where people would be spending hundreds of hours on, rather than a singleplayer game with 10 hours of gameplay, I'd be glad. TPU also doesn't always max everything out. They say Ultra settings, that doesn't mean the maxing out of every single setting and in that case, these GPUs would perform much worse.

I know this is the "new normal" but how can anyone get excited about a product that costs as much as a 5700xt and in some cases a worse product.

The 128 bit bus just doesn't cut it, even with the infinity fabric. Perhaps if it was 64 MB of cache instead of 32 GB, it would be better off in games like Doom Eternal. The 6700xt runs 96 MB of cache so they really gimped this card.

Then there is the x8 pci which will be an increasing handicap for those holding on to their pci-e 3.0 motherboards.

You may be able to snag one if you're both extremely lucky and fast enough. On the somehow bright side, the PCB on this card seems beastier than the ones on 3060 Ti's of this caliber. For whatever that matters to anyone. Ebay may be a way... as it's been recently with some $700 6700 XTs.
Lucky and/or fast are not my forte's :/
I have been checking eBay for 6700 XT's... and perhaps after the 6600 launches this might drop the price pressures on those.

So, basically, you're just making more excused "wrong game, and oh by the way, who really needs RT when it sucks that bad?", all the whilre ignoring the fact that you can lower the settings lower tha TPUs typical MAX SETTINGS

Sounds like the same level of excuses / truth avoidance Star Citizen True Believers make up.

Hey look at these playable framerates from this "shitty RT card", while almost getting half the performance of the 3060 Ti

View attachment 383441

And then this one should be a gimme, as it's native Vulkan:

View attachment 383442

Oh wait no, its getting rolled 3x by the 256-bit $400 card!

Even taking DLSS out of thhe equation, this card gets stomped in RT (even for console ports like Village)

You are being a bit disingenuous with your examples. Its easy enough to show that this card is a midrange turd without being so obnoxious.

The only thing I care about now is, will it be obtainable at MSRP and fast will it get scalped out of existance???
My 5700 XT may have died this week and I'm limping on my emergency backup gpu - a GTX 1030

This should definitely be in stock for $500 - $600 but strictly if you have a 1080p monitor

In some ways it is a downgrade from the 5700 XT at higher resolutions.

I'll post the ExtremeTech & EuroGamer reviews that make it clear

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/325648-amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt-review

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt-review?page=4

I really don't care about these benchmarks you're putting for my own self. Like I said, I was talking from a personal perspective. I played RE Village and it was one of the biggest loads of crap I've ever played (the moment he put his cut off hand back in place was the moment I uninstalled). The graphics weren't even always great with the bells and whistles turned on, on my overclocked Duke 2080.

If you can get me some more realistic benches like Warzone where people would be spending hundreds of hours on, rather than a singleplayer game with 10 hours of gameplay, I'd be glad. TPU also doesn't always max everything out. They say Ultra settings, that doesn't mean the maxing out of every single setting and in that case, these GPUs would perform much worse.

LOL I'm all for people and there own opinion of games. But the part you pointed out in village is extremely relevant to the story btw. Like fully explained and everything as you play.

LOL I'm all for people and there own opinion of games. But the part you pointed out in village is extremely relevant to the story btw. Like fully explained and everything as you play.

Yeah, pretty sure there's a sensible explanation to putting your hand cut off by the massive claw of a sexualized 10 feet woman right back in its place using sanitizer... do you also happen to have explanations to why we're somewhere in the woods down Romania as if it's a Witcher game instead of RE, and everybody is speaking with American accent? Then we're shooting blanks with a pistol and a shotgun that has 2 shells on you against various werewolfs and a werewolf santa claus that also happens to be 10 foot! They also ride horses. Lol, I'll give you the actual explanation to all that. The game was shelved for a good while, they then re-worked on it. All Crapcom's efforts show that the game is horrid and worth nothing. Right from the start where your wife Mia took 50 bullets to go down. Resident Evil Village is garbage.

Also, this thread is about the 6600 XT. Not Village.

I don't think you're really losing a lot on x8 tbf, even at 3.0. I've worked my 2080 at x8 for a good time when I had 2 SSDs and PCI-E ethernet, didn't really drop much in performance.

Yeah, pretty sure there's a sensible explanation to putting your hand cut off by the massive claw of a sexualized 10 feet woman right back in its place using sanitizer... do you also happen to have explanations to why we're somewhere in the woods down Romania as if it's a Witcher game instead of RE, and everybody is speaking with American accent? Then we're shooting blanks with a pistol and a shotgun that has 2 shells on you against various werewolfs and a werewolf santa claus that also happens to be 10 foot! They also ride horses. Lol, I'll give you the actual explanation to all that. The game was shelved for a good while, they then re-worked on it. All Crapcom's efforts show that the game is horrid and worth nothing. Right from the start where your wife Mia took 50 bullets to go down. Resident Evil Village is garbage.

Also, this thread is about the 6600 XT. Not Village.

You are absolutely right that this is a thread about the 6600xt.Why the long response than? Mia being shot is explained also. I'm not a resident evil fan past 4 and code Veronica so I'm not defending it. I just found it funny that what you brought up was explained past the point you stopped at.

Concerning the 6600xt. My feelings for it are about 1/3rd your feelings towards resident evil. $400 for a mid range card. No good. And with more and more 3060tis going retail now as stock has gone up. I think amds gonna be dropping the price on this guy soon.

I don't think you're really losing a lot on x8 tbf, even at 3.0. I've worked my 2080 at x8 for a good time when I had 2 SSDs and PCI-E ethernet, didn't really drop much in performance.

Hardware uboxxed did a good showing for it. X8 does have some drops but the only thing above a 5% decrease was doom. Doom had a massive 25% decrease in speed though. Sadly I feel this is a mistake from amd. Most people probably looking to go to this card probably have pcie 3 systems. So they would take a hit from just having a older cpu/mb setup.

Your 2080 isn't suffering the same issues like the 6600. It's the bandwidth pipe being at 128 for the 6600. So it's exclusively access from the video card to ram, etc that is slowed down. For programs that require high bandwidth usage that seemingly is where the issue is. Well based on what the reviews are saying. Amd really gimping that bandwidth and also decreasing the infinity fabric cache by 2/3's is really crappy for a card that is $400 retail. The fall off to anything higher than 1080p will probably be super sharp and dramatic for anyone looking to upgrade down the line. Really feel like AMD should of made this a $300 card in honor of the old 580's and just blow Nvidia out of the water.

Last edited:
Are where they appeared to buy?
Here with me still nothing, no one has, and before I was practically the first in Europe to have an rx 480 8gb reference card when it came out on the first day, now absolutely nothing, stores don't have them at all.
And it's a real shame that there are no more reference cards, I adore blower reference cards because all the heat comes out of the case ... but I'm not asked anything and it is dictated by others
And with a little engineering you can make a great blower reference card that would be both cool and quiet and without large amounts of copper or aluminum,it only takes a little wit.

Never came in stock on newegg, shuffle only. Awesome, another product that actually isn't available to the public.

Never came in stock on newegg, shuffle only. Awesome, another product that actually isn't available to the public.
You in the america at least have graphics by $379 launch price, here in europe everyone is scalping,here dollars are converted into euros 1:1 and additional benefits.
I camp all day for 6600xt but they haven't appeared in any store at all, local reviewers have 1 gpu but the stores still don't have anything on offer, maybe they will have it from tomorrow.
There should be a lot of them available because they are all already stocked with high end cards and monitors at least here in Europe.
Plus if they are cheap to produce and not good for mining they should be a large quantity on offer.
And this is a pure 1080p card, most pc gamers in europe don't have 1080p monitors at all anymore, they all have QHD or 4K and a minimum of rtx 3060ti.

Now amd could completely lower the price to regain at least part of the market share because nvidia rtx 3000 series is much more popular and represented than amd rx 6000 series, and rx 6600xt should be graphics for the poor, that graphics should belong to some low / mindrange segment.
I have a 1080p monitor and it's no longer for normal gaming or work, that's a fact.I mean modern games that are mostly very open and with a lot of details, there is not enough space for such games on a 1080p monitor, I saw for myself.

Last edited:
The "pure 1080p" is nothing more than pure marketing. My 2080 is perfectly carrying me in Warzone well around 100 FPS at 3440x1440. QHD is less much of a resolution and once you get a %10 OC on this card, you'll shoot straight to the 144 Hz territory. You can even play MSFS perfectly fine at QHD around 60 FPS with this card.

The "pure 1080p" is nothing more than pure marketing. My 2080 is perfectly carrying me in Warzone well around 100 FPS at 3440x1440. QHD is less much of a resolution and once you get a %10 OC on this card, you'll shoot straight to the 144 Hz territory. You can even play MSFS perfectly fine at QHD around 60 FPS with this card.
Yes you can but only some games, one who has a 4k or qhd monitor with ryzen 5600xt or 5800x will certainly not buy rx 6600xt,will buy or has already bought something much stronger.In my opinion there shouldn't be a big rush on these cards, it all depends on whether they will be good for mining or not,and supposedly not something good.

The sole reason there's not a rush for this card is, it costs more than a 2080 while performing a bit worse. It's not "some games". Show me a single game this card can't do at QHD properly.

average-fps_2560_1440.png

In europe the situation is different, everyone already has much stronger graphics than rx 6600ti, that graphics is not for maximum details in games on qhd monitor.
It should not be forgotten that the rx 6600xt is limited to PCIe 4.0 × 8

Last edited:
4.0 x8 is more bandwidth than x8 3.0 and is completely sufficient for this card. "Maximum settings" is also an utterly pointless fandango you can't do even on stronger cards. You can perfectly run ALL high or even all ultra settings at QHD using a heavily overclocked, good design 6600 XT. Doesn't make the card worth the while, but it is true.

Only one update, gtx 1030 does not exist, there is only gt 1030...

4.0 x8 is more bandwidth than x8 3.0 and is completely sufficient for this card. "Maximum settings" is also an utterly pointless fandango you can't do even on stronger cards. You can perfectly run ALL high or even all ultra settings at QHD using a heavily overclocked, good design 6600 XT. Doesn't make the card worth the while, but it is true.
As far as i read oc doesn't make much sense, from cards that already have automatic boost i never overclocked manually because it mostly doesn't make sense.
Overclock gpu made sense before on old cards that didn't have a boost.I have rx 5500xt 8gb(4.0card) at pcie x8 3.0.Overclock gpu means nothing to me.

"According to ASUS, the RX 6600 XT STRIX OC will sell for an MSRP of $550, which is $170 higher than the AMD base price"

According to me.. "Good lucking gouging me for that"..
Asus has really been one of the worst offenders on the gouging. Keep seeing their 3080 ti for 2k. No thanks newegg.

I've entered the NewEgg shuffle for this.... at worst, maybe this new release of GPUs into the market will (slightly) reduce the demand/prices on eBay for 6700 XTs... maybe

rx 6700xt has a lot in stock, a month ago they were about $ 150 cheaper, now they are more expensive again, it all varies greatly.
There are also a lot of rtx 3000 cards (rtx 3060 and 3060ti) in stock but the prices are still high.
In essence, the problem is not availability but price.They started watching the performance of the last 2-3 generations and according to the performance they charge so, and maybe even old generation gpu series for miners are still produced.The machines probably exist, so the old series are also being stamped.

32.4Mh/s at 70watt at the wall. More efficient than GTX 1660 Super / 2060 for mining ETH.

Back