TPCast Connectivity Issues

spugm1r3

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't expect to see a lot of traffic on this thread, as the number of us that have TPCast units is likely pretty small, but I'm wondering if anyone else has been experiencing connectivity issues with their TPCast/Vive or TPCast/Rift combinations?

Some background on my setup, I'm running the TPCast on the Vive. Since the system is currently in the master bedroom, due to space constraints and the aversion towards cables running down the wall in the living room, it gets put to sleep at night. I've also been utilizing the sleep feature for the base stations, since I'm neurotic about sounds and I can't sleep with the high-frequency hum they emit.

Due to the above, I'm forced to run the TPCast connection assistant each time I wake up the computer. Things don't always go as planned and, sometimes, I can spend up to a half-hour trying to get everything connected and functional. Problems include:
  • The connection assistant never gets past the second step.
  • The connection assistant completes, but SteamVR won't recognize the headset.
  • The connection assistant completes, and SteamVR connects, but there is no video.
For any of the above, I've gone through any combination of disconnecting the battery pack, unplugging/replugging HDMI cables (all of them), rebooting the headset, rebooting the computer, changing the channel on the router, unplugging/replugging the router, etc... but most of the time it seems like PFM (pure frickin' magic) when it finally starts working.

So, have any of you had similar experiences? Also, what is your fail-safe method for keeping your headset functional the first time, every time?

https://discord.gg/rarXPg

I sleep my computer and base stations and didn't have any probs with the stock software. Switching to OpenTPCast makes the connection process a lot more reliable for people with problems and also allows the microphone to work. The downside is that it requires a $25 license for USB over ethernet software and some light disassembly.

pj- I might check out OpenTPCast. In the meantime, I've just disconnected the TPCast and gone wired. It's irritating as all get-out because my son is, apparently, Derek Zoolander and can only turn right. The end-result is a tangle akin to old school telephone cords.

Back