TP-Link N750 (TL-WDR4300) Dual Band Router $52 AR

From what I've gathered this a good deal. DD-WRT also runs on this. Bought one.

I haven't owned a Qualcomm Atheros based router so this will be my first... replacing my asus RT-N16 that has been going strong for about 3 years now. The N16 will replace my parent's Linksys WRT-54gs v2.1 that is still working.

Hopefully TP-Link designs the circuit boards with quality components and I won't have to buy another until google fiber comes out and I need a wan to lan throughput over 800mbps. (Note: it seems all current consumer hardware is limited to this by the way, gigabit port or not it seems its some sort of I/O or CPU limitation. New routers due out later this year should have a full 1gbps throughput).

I haven't owned a Qualcomm Atheros based router so this will be my first... replacing my asus RT-N16 that has been going strong for about 3 years now. The N16 will replace my parent's Linksys WRT-54gs v2.1 that is still working.

That router is no slouch. I love the RT-N16 I have but am needing to upgrade some time to a dual band.

It might be a while before you have a >800mbps internet connection.

Might be sooner than you think with google rolling out their fiber. My thinking on researching that was if I still have the Linksys wrt-54gs from 2005-ish... then in 5-7 years time it would be nice to have a router that is that future proof for the wired side. The worst thing about my linksys is that the WAN port is a 10mbit port. It is also unreliable with QoS or a lot of simultaneous connections like bit torrent.

That router is no slouch. I love the RT-N16 I have but am needing to upgrade some time to a dual band.

Don't even think about upgrading my router often, rarely if anything. It works fine, I don't have disconnect problems, what's the hurry to upgrade to dualband or any of these newer standards n and such (not that new). New at this stuff, thanks for advice.

Usually

-streaming media (n speeds)
-streaming media (multiple devices)
-your 2.4GHz band is trashed

Streaming compressed h.264 to your htpc is going to require at least 300mbit sync (usually around 50mbit actual xfer rate) depending on bitrate. If you game and playback media at the same time you can put one device on 2.4GHz and one on 5GHz. If your 2.4GHz band is rendered useless by all the WAPs in your area (like mine), you can switch your devices to 5GHz in an effort to find an open channel.

Usually

-streaming media (n speeds)
-streaming media (multiple devices)
-your 2.4GHz band is trashed

Streaming compressed h.264 to your htpc is going to require at least 300mbit sync (usually around 50mbit actual xfer rate) depending on bitrate. If you game and playback media at the same time you can put one device on 2.4GHz and one on 5GHz. If your 2.4GHz band is rendered useless by all the WAPs in your area (like mine), you can switch your devices to 5GHz in an effort to find an open channel.

That or boost your 2.4G signal...:D

Back