Toyota Will Electrify Entire Vehicle Lineup by 2025

I now envision some of you as old men sitting around talking about the days of the buggy whip and how no one understands. Or these young whippersnappers just don't get why black powder is the best! :LOL:

Woops, I meant full electric, not hybrid. Think it'd be cool rowing through some gears with an electric motor on the other side of the tranny.
Ah yeah,nothing from an OEM. You could DIY though. With the rev range of electrics you could do some pretty short gearing too. Grunt/10

See the post above

What's there to see? Just a basic car driving and making noise... EVs can do that better, more efficiently, and without waking the dead.

Hell the Roadster 2.0 will do 0-60 silently in less than 2 seconds (30% quicker than the 911). 0-100 in 4.2 seconds (35% faster than the 911)

https://www.tesla.com/roadster

Not sure what's so exciting about the 911... just another old fashioned car

Last edited:
You pretty clearly hate cars so I don't believe there is any understanding we are going to reach.

Disdain old fashion cars yes. The future is EVs, not gas powered grandpa buggies

Yeah, all the things non estrogen enhanced men want in their vehicles. Absolutely.

...so gas powered cars assist with your manhood? Is it too small so need a big loud vehicle to make it rise?

I'd find a better status symbol if i were you!

Last edited:
I agree .i i too thinks its going to take a long time before the US go all electric.

The entire US grid needs to be updated first. There's no way it could handle charging 1 million electric cars on top of what it does currently. Go do a search about NY power outages....

like what? Harmful pollutants? Deafening sound? Constant vibtations?

Heh, they'll start having to add noisemakers to EV cars after enough people get run over because they're not paying attention and thus dont see or hear said ev car.

What's there to see? Just a basic car driving and making noise... EVs can do that better, more efficiently, and without waking the dead.

Hell the Roadster 2.0 will do 0-60 silently in less than 2 seconds (30% quicker than the 911). 0-100 in 4.2 seconds (35% faster than the 911)

But but, it goes vroom vroom!

Claimed numbers are just claimed numbers. There's no independent testing OR PROOF that this thing can get anywhere near those numbers. Not to mention the Tesla Roadster is nowhere near representative of what a typical Toyota EV will perform like.

The entire US grid needs to be updated first. There's no way it could handle charging 1 million electric cars on top of what it does currently. Go do a search about NY power outages....
I don't need to i already know the the "quality" of the US power grid and I agree with you. I have had more power outages in the few years i have live in the states than I have had in my entire rest of my life. oh no heavy rain.. we might loose power. Geeh rain who would have thought of building against that.

Can't tell if trolling or stupid

Disdain old fashion cars yes. The future is EVs, not gas powered grandpa buggies

...so gas powered cars assist with your manhood? Is it too small so need a big loud vehicle to make it rise?

I'd find a better status symbol if i were you!

Ok bub.

I agree. I want a car that I can drive for 10+ years with nothing more than fuel, fluid changes, tires and maybe brakes.

Had my last Toyota Camry for 10 year, and it was never in the shop other than normal maintenance.
Had a few minor problems (Bad relay & a failing motor mount) that I was able to take care of.

However, I don't like the newer "edgy" Toyota designs, or that they seem to think everyone wants a Sunroof (even if it reduces the headroom)
My last 3 cars have been Toyota's, but if I had to replace my current car, I'm not sure I would buy any of their current offerings.

Yep, definitely. My Prius just turned 8 of which I had it for almost 4 years now. Nothing extra over regular maintenance.

I generally think that when it comes to cars the sunroof is a gimmick which can introduce a lot of pretty nasty issues.
The edgy design is clearly something different than what the earlier models had. I think it is good that they are changing though, unlike a VW Golf for example. Talking about boring, eh?
But I don't like the overly pointy and elongated body of the Toyota Mirai either. I could get on board with the new Auris or Prius though.

Can't tell if trolling or stupid

how is what i posted trolling or stupid. it's backed by facts and links. if anything your assertions that gas is in any way better than than EVs is trolling or stupid (at best ignorant)

Claimed numbers are just claimed numbers. There's no independent testing OR PROOF that this thing can get anywhere near those numbers. Not to mention the Tesla Roadster is nowhere near representative of what a typical Toyota EV will perform like.

you're right. Based off the past tesla underestimates their performance so it's probably faster

you're right. Based off the past tesla underestimates their performance so it's probably faster

LOL, so where's all the extra capacity on the grid for recharging 100 million high amperage battery powered vehicles?

We would effectively need to build a second US electrical grid with double the amount of electrical generation capacity we have now. Where's that coming from?

Where is the new wiring being laid for all this electrical capacity? Many parts of the country can barely handle the air conditioning load every summer.

Gasoline engines have become so effective at eliminating pollution that in some areas the air coming OUT of the exhaust is cleaner than what's gone in.

Shouldn't take any effort at all to demonstrate it. There's not even a Tesla provided video showing it can do it. Musk literally blurts out numbers and people believe it. It's like the Apple customers that just blindly buy whatever is labeled Apple without actually knowing anything about way they're buying. Oh Apple makes it??? Of course it's the best. It also solves world hunger and brings peace to humanity.

Straight line speed, yay. Call me when they weigh 2500lbs or less and i can take them to the Dragon. When they can match the lateral G's in a real sports car, you can call me.

LOL, so where's all the extra capacity on the grid for recharging 100 million high amperage battery powered vehicles?

We would effectively need to build a second US electrical grid with double the amount of electrical generation capacity we have now. Where's that coming from?

Where is the new wiring being laid for all this electrical capacity? Many parts of the country can barely handle the air conditioning load every summer.

Gasoline engines have become so effective at eliminating pollution that in some areas the air coming OUT of the exhaust is cleaner than what's gone in.

As long as their is oil coming out of the ground somewhere in the world, there will be scores of countries that rely on it as their primary vehicle fuel source. It's insane to think that electric is going to have any impact on struggling regions. Place where their primary goal is to find water, food, and one day have an education for their children is not going to be a yellow brick road of super chargers and silent engines.

I think that much like fast internet or other US monopolized technologies, an all electric system is too far away at this time. Tesla essentially had to do EVERYTHING themselves to get enough charging stations out just so people could drive their vehicles. The State/Feds have no interest in moving ahead towards clean electric dominance, hell they just backtracked on global warming, and started opening up national wildlife reserves for oil / exploitation. The amount of massive industrial infrastructure that would need to be modified is beyond anything we're capable of as a country right now. We'd literally have to kill off our military spending to achieve something like full electronic integration for our roads. I live in Vermont and our providers buy our power from CANADA in times of heavy use beacuse there simply isn't enough available to use since the nuclear power plant in the south of the state shut down. What does our actual local power plant use for it's power fuel source? It burns wood.

how is what i posted trolling or stupid. it's backed by facts and links. if anything your assertions that gas is in any way better than than EVs is trolling or stupid (at best ignorant)
Because you're ignoring the best aspects of an ICE powered sports car. You very clearly don't get it or are too deep in the spectrum to be worth the argument.

Electrics are great commuters. They're one trick ponies as sports cars (for now).

Last edited:
Because you're ignoring the best aspects of an ICE powered sports car. You very clearly don't get it or are too deep in the spectrum to be worth the argument.

Electrics are great commuters. They're one trick ponies as sports cars (for now).

Again you've made no arguments as to why ICE are in any way better than EVs when it comes to sports cars. Some videos of loud cars does nothing to wow.

Additionally how long does it take to condition a sports car's ICE again? I know with Lamborghinis it's thousands of miles before you're suppose to take them over a certain RPM (this could be years after buying assuming the owner doesn't want to put thousands of miles on a multi 100k vehicle)
Differentials also cause day-to-day driving to strain sport engines which are geared for higher speeds.

EVs? Drive 'em whenever, wherever, however you want from the start. No babying around with 'em. Oh and they're still many times more efficient energy (fuel) wise. What does a 911 get? 22 city /30 highway? Yeah... my in-no-way aerodynamic leaf saves ~2.5 times that per mile. Teslas are probably sitting around 3 to 4 times less (Model S is roughly 3.4 cents/mile (11 cents/kwh (or less, 7 cents where i live)) whereas 911 is roughly 13 cents/mile city and 10 cents / mile highway ($3 / gal))

Again tell me how ICE are so much better.

Last edited:
Again you've made no arguments as to why ICE are in any way better than EVs when it comes to sports cars. Some videos of loud cars does nothing to wow.

Additionally how long does it take to condition a sports car's ICE again? I know with Lamborghinis it's thousands of miles before you're suppose to take them over a certain RPM (this could be years after buying assuming the owner doesn't want to put thousands of miles on a multi 100k vehicle)
Differentials also cause day-to-day driving to strain sport engines which are geared for higher speeds.

EVs? Drive 'em whenever, wherever, however you want from the start. No babying around with 'em. Oh and they're still many times more efficient energy (fuel) wise. What does a 911 get? 22 city /30 highway? Yeah... my in-no-way aerodynamic leaf saves ~2.5 times that per mile. Teslas are probably sitting around 3 to 4 times less (Model S is roughly 3.4 cents/mile (11 cents/kwh (or less, 7 cents where i live)) whereas 911 is roughly 13 cents/mile city and 10 cents / mile highway ($3 / gal))

I'm all for electric commuters. Their efficiency and simplicity cannot be ignored. I'd probably have a leaf if my current ICE vehicle weren't so efficient and cheap (~$.08-.10/mi). And actually when you consider it's just survived it's 5th collision for which I'll be paid out the car itself was free. Hard to beat.

But electrics as sports car... Bleh, once you get over the well of low speed torque they're about as exciting as revving up a sewing machine.

A great sports car (or motorcycle, etc) has the sights, sounds, smells and overall sensations that excite. When you start a GT3 the car tingles with energy. The steering is alive in your hand giving information about the front tires and you have great handling built around the engine in the wrong place*. The gearbox is a mechanical joy to operate and everything revolves around the process of driving, not doing as little of it as possible. And the sound.. both engine and other mechanicals
proper race car stuff. It's fantastic. I doubt it'll be long before ICE vehicles can't keep up on the track (they're currently not even close) but the ICE will still have it's place there.

*Chris Harris said something along the lines of 'If you haven't driven a 911 in anger you'd wonder why they put the engine in the back. After driving one in anger you wonder why they put them anywhere else.'

That really sums up the whole thing. It's not about synthetic perfection and that's what your analysis of cars for sport is missing. I can't count the number of times I've turned around on a good road to do it over again in my MR2 Turbo. It's not the fastest or most competent car. It's there to kill you and it makes you work for speed. But it has plenty of 'it' and that's the difference between driving and getting to a destination.

Hmm, check it out. Not a single calculation or efficiency figure for the sports car section...

Break in on modern cars is pretty minimal. Plenty of owners take their nice new GT3 to the track. The drive there is the break in.

I actually like the hybrids that basically have an engine for a generator and the electric motor for actual driving. 100% electric right now is still pretty stupid imho since we don't have the infrastructure to support it. When I can circumnavigate Texas pulling a heavy trailer, going through any rural part I want without fear of getting stranded EV will be ready. IMO

HAHAHAHAHAHAH here talking about performance cars..Drives a leaf...Oh god I'm dying...I refer to my earlier statement..Obviously hates cars, because no one with a shred of love for cars would ever drive that abomination.

Back to a general non directed reply..It amazes me how so many in this thread have this absolutely insane idea that ICE and EV can't coexist. There are things that EV does extremely well there are things it doesn't. There is even a likely future where EV's are the overall superior car on the road. That isn't now and that isn't in the immediate future either. Right now EV's fall terribly short in many many area's. Just like ICE took decades to really perfect, so too will it be the same for EV. In the meantime we can expect these two technologies to coexist as neither can fully replace the other. Choice is always an amazing thing for consumers. That said the whole comparison to horse and buggy is such a laughably absurd ad hominem that it just too cute when someone uses that completely irrelevant comparison.

Reactions: Epic|
like this

I missed this earlier. This betrays a fundamental ignorance of the drivetrain in general. You may want to double back on your research.

I missed this earlier. This betrays a fundamental ignorance of the drivetrain in general. You may want to double back on your research.

I've realized he has absolutely no idea at all what he is talking about. He is just here to try to act morally superior because he drives an EV..even if it is the shittiest excuse for a car currently in production.

I doubt that Finland is even slightly ready for wide adoption of EVs by 2025. Charging stations are still such a rare sight still. I do have my sight set on a EV in 10 or so years after a Mazda 3 HB (next year) and after that a new Honda Civic HB in-between so I hope the situation is better over here by then after two more cars.

If there would be better infrastructure and EVs that weren't so buttuggly (with the exception of Teslas and some other concepts which are out of my budget range) I'd probably own one already, drive short ranges only 95%+ of the time.

Last edited:
again it's the sights, sounds, and smells. lol
sights - there could be nothing under the shell and it would look the same
sounds - sure wake up the neighborhood
smell - yum oil

do i know cars indepth? nope and that knowledge will be depreciated soon enough anyway. it will be nice when there are not cars that could wake up the dead as they slowly accelerate at stoplights.

do i drive an unsporty leaf? yep, have had it for 6 years. should have my Model 3 in the next month or two though :)

I've realized he has absolutely no idea at all what he is talking about. He is just here to try to act morally superior because he drives an EV..even if it is the shittiest excuse for a car currently in production.
Eh, I can't say much. I daily a first gen insight

again it's the sights, sounds, and smells. lol
sights - there could be nothing under the shell and it would look the same
sounds - sure wake up the neighborhood
smell - yum oil

do i know cars indepth? nope and that knowledge will be depreciated soon enough anyway. it will be nice when there are not cars that could wake up the dead as they slowly accelerate at stoplights.

do i drive an unsporty leaf? yep, have had it for 6 years. should have my Model 3 in the next month or two though :)
Question: do you apply the same nonsense to people climbing mountains, flying planes, going to space, painting pictures, making music etc etc?

What do you do?

Question: do you apply the same nonsense to people climbing mountains, flying planes, going to space, painting pictures, making music etc etc?

What do you do?

software engineer so i'll be writing the code that drives you from point A To B in the near future

software engineer so i'll be writing the code that drives you from point A To B in the near future
I feel it's not quite right for me to keep at you given you seem to be operating in a more focused world.

What exactly is wrong with the Nissan Leaf?
HAHAHAHAHAHAH here talking about performance cars..Drives a leaf...Oh god I'm dying...I refer to my earlier statement..Obviously hates cars, because no one with a shred of love for cars would ever drive that abomination.

Back