Toxikk- new arena FPS

The game is actually very fast, smooth, and fun (I supported them early so I got early access)...there's just nobody playing it, which makes sense since it's early access only.

In general, it seems to be a bad idea to make big announcements about new IPs and invite everyone to buy early and play your unfinished game. On one hand, the game might not get made without the early funding for an indie studio (understandable). On the other hand, unless the game's early state shatters expectations, it will quickly become known as a game nobody plays (at best) or a buggy POS (at worst); both are real momentum killers as far as the hype train goes. Early access seems to be the best way to ruin a game's first impression with players, and with the variety of titles out there players might not bother to give you a second look.

The game is certainly going to need an advertising push for release since the last anyone really heard about the game was from 2 years ago.

The game is actually very fast, smooth, and fun (I supported them early so I got early access)...there's just nobody playing it, which makes sense since it's early access only....

I followed them a while and I did purchase the early access keys (well, the 4 pack) because they were at the time, very communicative and met each and every one of their release milestones. That impressed me and convinced me to support their efforts. But as you said, there's hardly a player base and honestly, I havent played the game since the 0.9 release. Game played well then. However, my interest fell off when they declined to have dedicated linux server support. Myself and several coworkers were looking to host our own stuff with an old school fps

I find the lack of dedicated servers, or even peer hosted servers in games now to be just stupid. I play a lot more multiplayer when I control a server, and just friends play with me.

I find the lack of dedicated servers, or even peer hosted servers in games now to be just stupid. I play a lot more multiplayer when I control a server, and just friends play with me.

This game has dedicated servers but I think Bullitt was specifically looking for a Linux-based dedicated server. From what I can find, UE3 dedicated servers received pretty much no Linux support, so I'm guessing they don't have the resources to author one considering no one else has over the years.

Chart6.png

* LIMITED AMOUNT OF MAPS
** IF RELEVANT TO INCLUDED MAPS

This game has dedicated servers but I think Bullitt was specifically looking for a Linux-based dedicated server. From what I can find, UE3 dedicated servers received pretty much no Linux support, so I'm guessing they don't have the resources to author one considering no one else has over the years.

Correct, I have shitpiles of servers and dedicated bandwidth for this purpose, but I'm not paying for windows licensing to throw up some servers for my friends/co-workers.

I tried it out. Only 1 map available for free. Took sever times for it to autofind me a server to play on. Only 6 players including me were playing.

It plays fast as hell. Just like UT. The map was indoors played extremely smooth on my 660 SLI. Not sure if SLI was actually working.... Didn't matter.

Been a while since I played a fast game like this. I like it. My body does not.

Excellent game, bought it after testing the free version for about an hour. Great game for fast paced deathmatch, TDM, or CTF a la Q3/UT2002/Painkiller

I tried it out. Only 1 map available for free. Took sever times for it to autofind me a server to play on. Only 6 players including me were playing.

It plays fast as hell. Just like UT. The map was indoors played extremely smooth on my 660 SLI. Not sure if SLI was actually working.... Didn't matter.

Been a while since I played a fast game like this. I like it. My body does not.

Just an FYI, I believe most servers are capped at 8 players. The arenas are small and game-play is so fast paced that even 2-4 players on a server is fine.

There are currently issues with the matchmaking (devs admitted the servers are slammed and they will be correcting it). If you have the full version you can use the server browser to easily find a match.

I run at a steady 144hz easily with an i5 and GTX970.

Yea, 32 & 64 player type maps have spoiled me. I was hoping the maps would be a little bigger and have some outdoor ones with more players. The speed and pace is nice, just a workout of sorts for my ancient flesh.

I will keep an eye on it and see how it progresses.

Yea, 32 & 64 player type maps have spoiled me. I was hoping the maps would be a little bigger and have some outdoor ones with more players. The speed and pace is nice, just a workout of sorts for my ancient flesh.

I will keep an eye on it and see how it progresses.

Arena shooters are built for competition not massive battles. The maps are usually built for a small number of players to compete against one another. When you start having 32-64 players you aren't really competing against other individual players but just playing the game and fragging a random player that you may never even encounter again.

If you are more of a CoD or Battlefield guy then this will not be for you. As stated earlier, it's similar to Quake 3 Arena, UT2002, and Painkiller.

I'm really spoiled right now with competitive FPS games between this and Rocket League

The game is actually very fast, smooth, and fun (I supported them early so I got early access)...there's just nobody playing it, which makes sense since it's early access only.

In general, it seems to be a bad idea to make big announcements about new IPs and invite everyone to buy early and play your unfinished game. On one hand, the game might not get made without the early funding for an indie studio (understandable). On the other hand, unless the game's early state shatters expectations, it will quickly become known as a game nobody plays (at best) or a buggy POS (at worst); both are real momentum killers as far as the hype train goes. Early access seems to be the best way to ruin a game's first impression with players, and with the variety of titles out there players might not bother to give you a second look.

The game is certainly going to need an advertising push for release since the last anyone really heard about the game was from 2 years ago.

Another huge downside to this IMO is that the early access players get good at the game, then if the game releases they run around slaughtering everyone and scaring everyone away.

Another huge downside to this IMO is that the early access players get good at the game, then if the game releases they run around slaughtering everyone and scaring everyone away.

Out of my first three rounds ever playing this, I won two of them. The first one I had to cut to a tiny resolution to get it to display properly (does not like eyefinity) and get the mouse setup. Second game won with a 3.3 KD ration, third with a 2. something.

If you played UT99 or Quake 3 Arena this will feel like home to a degree. A few things feel off and some of the weapons need work but it's fun overall.

Back