Toxikk- new arena FPS

polonyc2

Fully [H]
built using Epic Games' Unreal Engine...the game is designed to return the arena FPS genre to its roots, which means no leveling, no regenerating health, no perks, no cover systems, no classes, no configurable weapons, and no iron-sight aiming..."Toxikk plays as if today's military shooters never existed," its developers say

Another component of Toxikk will be user-generated content...all players can apply for a free software development kit (SDK) that will allow them to build their own maps, characters, and skins for the game...Reakktor will eventually launch a "hub" for users to submit their own content, which can then be voted on. All user-generated content will be offered for free

Toxikk is in development exclusively for PC and should launch on Steam as an Early Access title later this year...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/this-upcoming-pc-fps-has-no-leveling-classes-regen/1100-6421447/

Straight-up UT clone from what I can see, but that's not a bad thing. Makes me wonder, though, if this will be a better value than the upcoming free UT game.

Straight-up UT clone from what I can see, but that's not a bad thing.

No kidding, more than just a clone, it looks like a carbon copy.....everything from the movement to the vehicles looks like a reskinned UT2K4. That doesn't put me off at all seeing as all the AAA MP shooters these days bore me to tears.

Very appealing that all the main selling points in their debut trailer are what I absolutely hate about modern FPS games (classes, leveling, regen health, cover systems).

Remains to be seen whether there is enough of a player base to make it a worthwhile purchase.

Looks like fun, though I won't touch it until it's out of early access.

Straight-up UT clone from what I can see, but that's not a bad thing. Makes me wonder, though, if this will be a better value than the upcoming free UT game.

The jury is still out on that one. We'll have to wait and see. I'm excited for both. UT especially. I just hope they can shake the UT3 off of them.

I was under the impression that in the current market, unless your game is called Counter Strike having a traditional business model (i.e. a unit price) is a setup for failure. That aside, Early Access is a no go in my book.

Some games do early access right. You just have to look up the team and how they are handling things, updating and communicating with the community. That tells a lot already.

Probably shouldn't start off with "at least" but...

At least it doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

Interesting to say the least, never really got into UT series, but I played my fair share of Q2 DM.

Anyone know if Bunnyhopping or Rocket Jumping is confirmed? I know they're very likely to be implemented but haven't heard anything of it.

I'm actually really looking forward to this. I hope it materializes. I never thought I'd ever get of the current state of FPS's but maybe going retro is the answer.

Probably shouldn't start off with "at least" but...

At least it doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

Interesting to say the least, never really got into UT series, but I played my fair share of Q2 DM.

Anyone know if Bunnyhopping or Rocket Jumping is confirmed? I know they're very likely to be implemented but haven't heard anything of it.

ut doesn't have bunnyhopping, so i doubt this will.

Looks very appealing to me. It's actually pretty sexy in a non-Quake way. I know what I'll be playing until the new Doom arrives.

An old Quake buddy and one of the best Q3 CPM players in Europe just filled me on this one: http://www.reflexfps.net/ - classic duel maps, same qw/q3cpm movement, defrag... everything. kind of a niche, though

Last edited:
Looks fun but the devs are currently "still discussing" whether to have dedicated servers, so until I see that announcement the game will just be another game with potential that choked on the details. Here's hoping though.

No dedicated servers, no buy. Why would developers not include dedicated servers for FPS games??? Ffs.

No dedicated servers, no buy. Why would developers not include dedicated servers for FPS games??? Ffs.

I should clarify, their current plan is to allow players to rent a server on their "farm" (probably some sort of cloud computing bs) but they are still discussing whether to allow clans/communities to host their own servers on their own hardware.

Oh man, why would they do everything right only to fuck it up by not allowing dedicated servers!?

This "We want control of our game" server bullshit has gone too far. Its all a power trip over control of their IP. Give us the damn dedicated servers back. :mad:

How can they call this "party like it's 1999" and how can anyone with a working pair of eyes look at that video and say it's a UT clone? I saw: a pistol, a shotgun, an assault rifle, a sniper rifle, a different looking assault rifle, a very lame looking rocket launcher. That's not arena game weapons.

UT had a minigun and a sniper rifle, and the community hated the minigun. What the hell is the point of making a dodge and double jump if all your weapons are hitscan.

How can they call this "party like it's 1999" and how can anyone with a working pair of eyes look at that video and say it's a UT clone?

Because other than nitpicking the specific weapons, the gameplay looked identical?

Also, news of no dedicated servers is more of a slap in the face to "party like it's 1999" than weapon choices, IMO.

This "We want control of our game" server bullshit has gone too far. Its all a power trip over control of their IP. Give us the damn dedicated servers back. :mad:

Devs keep doing everything but give us what we ask for, and then their games fade into obscurity after a month or two. Meanwhile, TF2 is #3 on Steam at the moment, 7 years after release, so I don't understand why every studio out there thinks that dedicated servers are a recipe for failure.

If we can't help grow the game by growing a community around it then we won't stay, because otherwise it's just a bunch of random 'quickplay' BS and that's not what keeps players around long-term. It's to the point now that a game claiming to be "everything you liked 10 years ago" actually turns a lot of heads because there is next to nothing competing for that market segment at the moment. All they have to do is deliver a decent game with a proper server client (not one that doesn't work for 3 months and is buggy as hell) and let us run with it; they can even do their official server farm thing as well for players not looking to go the private hardware route.

We'll have to see what they decide but there's no way I will even toss them the $15 for a game license until they say that dedicated servers are in.

That's good news! I'm hoping they have some good indoor Q3A style levels. The ones in the video look a bit UT/Halo-esque. (which is fine too, but I always leaned more toward the Quakes than the UTs even though both were great)

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I had a really hard time seeing where the other players were while watching that.

Me and 3 of my friends already nabbed a 4 pack back when it was first announced. This is something we've been wanting for years and years.

Interesting... if dedicated server support is definitely in, then so am I.

faaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiillllll

No dedicated server is just lol. They can't be serious then.

faaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiillllll

No dedicated server is just lol. They can't be serious then.

Match Hosting For Everyone

Sticking to our "NO BULLSHIT" policy, Clan Admin Privileges (CAP) are no longer planned as a purchasable extra feature.

Instead, the CAP feature package (being able to host dedicated server(s), host online and LAN-games, and access to the game's Clan Admin Tools) will be available to everyone, with EVERY copy of Toxikk purchased!

The whole CAP package comes at no additional cost for pre-order customers (i.e. the price will stay at $15 per every individually purchased Steam key). Also, all other pre-order packages will remain at their established price.

Once the game is made available via Steam, we will raise the price per purchased copy (i.e. per Steam Key) to something around $20, but for every customer who pre-orders before that date through our store, the original price of $15 per key remains.

They made this change back on August 18th, 2014.

TOXIKK now has a release date-- September 9th...and there will be a “free edition” of the game...that doesn't mean it’s free to play, think of it more like the demos of old with many of the full game’s features available and few locked out until you pay for the full game...some maps won’t be available, there won’t be a server browser, no character customisation etc...a full list of what will and won’t be in the free edition is listed below...

TOXIKK.COM | Frag like it's 1999 – UPCOMING FREE EDITION

Back