Toxikk just went live

Is that the Unreal Tournament clone game that Steve posted about a few months back?
I suspect the game will get a pretty big Cult following it says release date 1/22/2015

Is that the Unreal Tournament clone game that Steve posted about a few months back?
I suspect the game will get a pretty big Cult following it says release date 1/22/2015

Yes it is. Looking forward to seeing a modern day old school shooter.

I got my email today and PM'd keys to the 3 forum members who split a 4-pack with me. Looking forward to it! 6 more days until we find out if the 11 bucks was worth it! :D

oh snap. I will totally buy a copy if anyone has a spare via the 4packs.

I believe it's kind of an early release for people that donated to the game earlier on.

Been watching this for a while, if it turns out to be a good UT99 successor then I'm in!

2 more days! This game looks really good. So old school. I hope it will have a decent sized competitive community.

I hope it will have a decent sized competitive community.

This is the part that always worries me about arena shooters: popularity.

Nothing sucks more than getting a raging husband bulge for a round of death match only to be met with sparse or empty servers.

This is the part that always worries me about arena shooters: popularity.

Nothing sucks more than getting a raging husband bulge for a round of death match only to be met with sparse or empty servers.

I can't speak to the popularity of Quake Live, but other than the upcoming UT4 I can't think of any newish arena shooters to play even if I wanted to right now. I threw these guys $100 for the top-tier package (like 4 or 5 keys) to support their development - and with some hope that they might create something special for us to play for the next couple of years.

The whole point of the project seems to be to bring back the arena FPS glory days, and the devs have been listening to the community so that bodes well I think (they changed their entire server model, etc.). Only two more days until we can try it out!

Here's the movement preview vid they posted back in October: http://youtu.be/ed_xu_DUEbs

Today is the day might have to get out my Steam Card from X-mas and buy this depending on how bad the initial reviews are.

Game is rumored to be 15.00 on Steam I hope it's fast action but not too fast and has lots of explosive weapons.

I can't speak to the popularity of Quake Live, but other than the upcoming UT4 I can't think of any newish arena shooters to play even if I wanted to right now.

Alot of my hardcore fps friends have been hyping up Dirty Bomb bigtime. Watched some streams and it looks like a winner but unfortunately havent had any luck scoring a beta key, so i'll probably buy the early access for this since im pretty desperate for a good fps.

Dirty Bomb looks decent just watched the video on Steam. the devs said they are taking elements in games 10 years ago and bringing them back the characters have UK accents =) Unless you live in the UK it's not a accent.

The only FPS I've been playing on Steam is Warface
Then playing Battlefields 3 mainly on Origin.
Warface the action is pretty slow but it's funny and has graphics that make CSGO look like pong.

I found a game similar to quake called Wickland but good luck finding someone to play with action is super fast game is pretty dark and gloomy.

sounds interesting, but not enough for me to spend $20 to see how it is.

Yeah, the title of this thread is misleading: this game is now in beta/Steam Early Access. It isn't completed or being sold as completed right now.

Just got a chance to play it and it's soooo fast! It's a beta release so there is currently only one map that is rather small but it's fast and fun as fuck. Rocket Launcher is a little (a little?) overtuned but that'll get worked out. Lots of potential here!

Every Review is a Thumbs up think I'm going to get it. Hope it's not a total griefer game where the noobs have no chance.

Not totally sold on it only 16 max players on one map..... While Battlefield 3 has 64 =)
Think I might wait for it to go on sale or watch some footage. My backlog is crazy anyway and lots of good games in the next two months.

I don't usually buy Early Access but for it's price, and the positive reviews it's been getting, I decided to get it. Only managed to get 30 mins of play time, but it feels like UT2004 gameplay with UT3 graphics, and I'm enjoying it.

Not totally sold on it only 16 max players on one map..... While Battlefield 3 has 64 =)
Think I might wait for it to go on sale or watch some footage. My backlog is crazy anyway and lots of good games in the next two months.

For deathmatch and CTF, I think 16 player map will be fine. I don't think those large 64 players type of maps we see in BF3 will work here. Maybe for Onslaught type of gameplay, that would be great, if they ever release such a mode in the future.

I don't usually buy Early Access but for it's price, and the positive reviews it's been getting, I decided to get it. Only managed to get 30 mins of play time, but it feels like UT2004 gameplay with UT3 graphics, and I'm enjoying it.

For deathmatch and CTF, I think 16 player map will be fine. I don't think those large 64 players type of maps we see in BF3 will work here. Maybe for Onslaught type of gameplay, that would be great, if they ever release such a mode in the future.

There are plans for both "large" maps - those with vehicles and higher player counts a la Tribes 2 - and the smaller ones for UT deathmatch style play.

It's curious seeing people bring up BF or CoD like those games are even comparable to an arena FPS... BF3 having 64-player matches shouldn't really impact your desire to play an arena shooter because if you're playing BF3 you're playing a complete different kind of game.

Heh - there's more intensity in a 4-player FFA match here, than a 64-players contesting for area "Bravo" in BF4, etc.

Simply no comparison.

That being said, this game is absolute golden. Felt SO right from the get-go, and had a blast the few matches I played!

Boy, the server counts for this game died quick. I might find one or two servers with three or more people playing if I'm lucky.

I don't want to say this, but I think I outgrew arena's. Never revisit your childhood stuff... it's never the same. The mechanics are some of the best, but the map they released and style of game play doesn't do it for me just yet.

I believe these arena games died off for a reason. They require too much skill and time investment to get good for the average, and even some above average gamers. And the player bases are just too small to have a proper ranking system/matchmaking nowadays.

Newcomers to the series will be destroyed by the people that have years of arena experience and already know how to control maps, time powerup pickups, and experience is mastering the movement system of strafe jumping/bunny hopping. And it's demoralizing going up against the people that are at the peak of the skill ceiling because the player pools are so small.

I think this game would do a lot better as a median point between that hardcore arena game and the casual type games like BF4. I know a lot of the hardcore audience would hate the idea, but they need to slow the game down a bit and dumb down the movement system to make it less complex if you want to appease to a larger audience. If they don't, I see this dying off in a few months just like the 50 other arena clones, unless the unreleased vehicle gameplay is amazing.

With that said, it's still a pretty fun game if you have money to burn, but I don't think it's worth the asking price at the moment if you're picky with spending on games. Without the graphics and awesome trailer they put out, nobody would be paying attention purely from the gameplay perspective. It's currently just 1 map and a few weapons.

Keep in mind Unreal is developing a new arena FPS that will be free that most of the hardcore audience will flock to when released.

Nexuiz (original aka "classic" v2.5.2) is still one of my most-played games. Nothing compares if you love insanely fast DM. Free.

There was a developer drama and someone sold out to a studio to license the name and there was a release made for Steam/Xbox360 that switched engines to CryEngine3. meh. The Nexuiz wiki has some info on the history

Xonotic is a fork of the original codebase (Darkplaces engine). New 0.8 release just dropped on Jan 16!

I'm enjoying it so far... lots of potential here. Weapon balance is badly needed, however. Cerberus is way OP.

Back