Town In Washington Wants To Ban Pokémon Go

HardOCP News

[H] News
I've heard some pretty compelling reasons to ban Pokémon Go from places like cemeteries, war memorials and such but banning the game because people are actually using public parks to play? That's just plain stupid.

Businesses, museums, and homeowners have asked to be removed from the augmented, monster-filled reality of the game Pokémon Go. The city of Des Moines in Washington State is taking it even further, though: the government is tired of sending police to manage the swarms of Pokémon trainers in its waterfront park, and wants to ban the game.

It makes perfect sense. When Pokemon trainers start to swarm, there is simply no other choice than to get the police in to control the situation. Seriously, they are looking at their phones and touching them! In public parks!

its not so much people on their phones in public places as it is having a bunch of people meandering around someones property, leaving trash, and filling up parking lots that otherwise would be for customers and museum goers.

its like a physical DDoS attack :D. brilliant

- Evil mastermind voice: Now. close down pentagon make it a double training facility.
5 mins latter the ground is shaking and the light is flickering... cell phones start dropping connection as the massive horde of pokemon go players marches towards pentagon.

Everybody Jump

its not so much people on their phones in public places as it is having a bunch of people meandering around someones property, leaving trash, and filling up parking lots that otherwise would be for customers and museum goers.
That's a reason to have laws against littering. As for "filling up parking lots," well, a simple sign saying for customers only and a towing policy should be sufficient.

This, however, isn't about private property. It's about public property, as in for the public. Communities can institute curfews for things like public parks and it would take a lot fewer police/security officers to say "get out, the park isn't open." However, these assholes likely want to have it both ways: They want the right sort of people to have the freedom to enjoy the parks any way they choose but don't want people playing a game to have the same freedom.

At the rate the 'game' is shedding players, it's likely to be a non-issue by the time this bylaw passes.

It makes perfect sense. When Pokemon trainers start to swarm, there is simply no other choice than to get the police in to control the situation. Seriously, they are looking at their phones and touching them! In public parks!

The problem isn't public parks...the problem is when they are driving cars or walking in the street.

Why waste our money with this? The government should just wait a week and the fad will be over.

I agree with no laws should be changed, we have enough of that bullshit as is. I just hate how rude people are, heard a news story where people were just trashing the parking lot at a museum and making a mess.

Won't somebody think about what thing is doing to the children!

Thing is new and I don't understand it! BAN THING!

I agree with no laws should be changed, we have enough of that bullshit as is. I just hate how rude people are, heard a news story where people were just trashing the parking lot at a museum and making a mess.
And so? Laying the blame for people acting like assholes at the proverbial feet of Pokemon Go is just the current fashionable excuse for another ignorant brand of assholery.

This is yet again one of the reasons that to outright BAN anything should require a PUBLIC vote (on a ballot, during the next voting cycle), and should require no less than a 75% vote to pass. Banning things (removing a right belonging to the people) is no small matter, in fact, it is a HUGE matter. Governments are always talking about banning this or banning that. The fact is that unless you can show a serious safety hazard of the product, then there is no justification to ban it.

“It’s noise-related, they’re leaving their garbage around. There are complaints that they’re smoking marijuana and drinking.” from the Seattle Time link in the article.

So they want to go back to where the kids are smoking drinking and garbaging the parks without Pokémon, like normal?

edit: and not to forget, we've had an incredibly nice dry summer. Heaven forbid the public enjoy it!

There's always complaints about smoking marijuana and drinking. Even if it's not happening...

Coming Soon... Pokémon Go Fish. All New Water Based Pokémons. Conveniently located in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Bonus Pokémons on Bikini Atoll.

Eh em....If the parks/buildings/cemetery/memorials have reached capacity, call the fire department... :pompous:

I went to a veteran cemetery for some poke stops, but also paid respects to those who served as I walked around reading the headstones. I mean, my parents are buried at a Veteran cemetery. I did not feel awkward at all.

There's always complaints about smoking marijuana and drinking. Even if it's not happening...
I suspect that the complaints are coming from those who don't like that marijuana is now legal in Washington. It's still illegal to use in public but I'm absolutely certain people do since I live in Oregon but have vaped in public in Washington. Regardless, it's still a meaningless bitch unless people are not only smoking it but doing it near children in parks.

And so? Laying the blame for people acting like assholes at the proverbial feet of Pokemon Go is just the current fashionable excuse for another ignorant brand of assholery.
I understand its not really the game directly but the assholes doing it. it is the reason why those people are there causing problems and seems like a simple way to solve the issue.

That's a reason to have laws against littering. As for "filling up parking lots," well, a simple sign saying for customers only and a towing policy should be sufficient.

This, however, isn't about private property. It's about public property, as in for the public. Communities can institute curfews for things like public parks and it would take a lot fewer police/security officers to say "get out, the park isn't open."

My city already had a couple Pokémon evenings where they had people gather at city hall and then take a nearby trail to a local park, catching Pokémon along the way.

They also put a reminded in the city news letter that the parks are closed between 11:00 PM and 6:00 AM.

Of course you could always try it my way:
I occasionally use an android emulator on my PC with GPS spoofing, so I can hang around the local park (that has multiple poke stops), or head down to the beach to collect water Pokémon :D

I understand its not really the game directly but the assholes doing it. it is the reason why those people are there causing problems and seems like a simple way to solve the issue.
All you do is move the problem, maybe. Let's not forget that it's possible there's not really a problem with Pokemon Go except in the minds of jerks. Why, for example, isn't this happening everywhere? Is it perhaps because it's summertime and the kids screwing around rate goes up when school is out?

Frankly, the most likely explanation is that blaming Pokemon Go is utter bullshit and another case of "I don't like other people's hobbies/technology."

We already have laws against trespassing and littering so all this town would be doing is violating people constitutional right to traverse the country. if me and 200 friends decide we want to go to the park to see nature is that not ok either? Hey shitstains here is a hint if you are tired of calling the police to manage thee people using the park.... stop calling the police on people who are not doing anything wrong.

Are there really people out there tromping around private property, parking in parking lots and driving around playing Pokemon go? It must be a lot more popular in Washington that it is around here. I see hardly anyone playing it anymore.

Are there really people out there tromping around private property, parking in parking lots and driving around playing Pokemon go? It must be a lot more popular in Washington that it is around here. I see hardly anyone playing it anymore.
Probably not. Again, it's just being used as an excuse to take potshots at people.

If, for example, a bunch of kids are hanging around in a park after dark, even if they pull out their phones to catch the occasional Pokemon, they're almost certainly not hanging out to play the game. Most likely, they're hanging out for the same reasons that kids have hung around in parks after dark for years: To smoke (cigarettes and/or pot), drink, flirt/make out with each other, and just generally feel like they're out from under their parents' thumbs. If, in the process, they also leave a bunch of garbage or vandalize things, again, it's not because of any game on their phones - it's because teenagers are the worst, have always been the worst, and will continue to be the worst, forever and ever.

I've pretty much stopped hearing about Pokemon Go (other than articles like this)...thought it was over for the most part. I imagine with fall and winter coming it'll be less and less popular.

Back