Touch panel integration, best practices?

Rob Black

2[H]4U
I have FOUR 15" Elo Touch Screens & TWO All-In-One Touch Screen PC's (Think HP TouchSmart)

Whats the best way to integrate these into my Windows Media Center 7 ecosystem? each touch screen will connect to its own dedicated PC.

I setup consist of 5 A/V Receivers, 2 Windows 7 HTPC's, Cablecards, Few XBOX'es (All Centralized)

I would love to do something like this from VidaBox: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6My6oktQzgQ

What do you use your in-wall touch screen for? suggestions?

Just so you know, you need to use clone mode only if your using media center, anything else isn't going to work.

That means if your media center is connected to a 1080p TV then your touch monitors need to also be 1080p. This is why you only see touch control on OEM high end installer only systems. Those guys have custom apps that are made for touch control. Check out Nevius, they're the ones that offer it.

Thanks.

My Two HTPC's will be connected to a 3x5 Switcher so using clone mode will not work. I looked at the Niveus Controller software but it doesn't work with Windows 7.

:(

Thanks.

My Two HTPC's will be connected to a 3x5 Switcher so using clone mode will not work. I looked at the Niveus Controller software but it doesn't work with Windows 7.

:(

And the copy they offer to regular people isn't full featured, it's very cut down. The only way to get the full featured version is to buy a Nivues system. Which totally sucks.

the exact resolution thing in clone mode does suck. i have a 720p projector and a 1080p tv, which i dont mind scaling the tv down but it will only go to 1366x736 or whatever, so it looks overscanned on the tv- or i have to put the projector in 1080p mode which makes that look like shit for text and desktop use on that.

Why don't you go with something like Mcontrol or Mirage?

Why don't you go with something like Mcontrol or Mirage?

How about because Mirage costs $500 plus for a single machine license? Mcontrol is more realisticly priced but it's very basic when it comes to Media Center system control, it's more about home automation and less about MC control.

Ok..so it's $500...do you know what his budget is? Just because you wouldn't spend that much..doesn't mean he wouldn't. And, for the record..I used Mirage and loved it...however i'm an authorized dealer so ..there is some discount.

Ok..so it's $500...do you know what his budget is? Just because you wouldn't spend that much..doesn't mean he wouldn't. And, for the record..I used Mirage and loved it...however i'm an authorized dealer so ..there is some discount.

It starts around $500 and that's only for one system. To do anything with it you need to have more copies of it. Either way, it seems more of a rip off then anything. :rolleyes:

Oh, and that price tag is only if you have one of their (I believe it's Creston or something) MCE systems. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And the copy they offer to regular people isn't full featured, it's very cut down. The only way to get the full featured version is to buy a Nivues system. Which totally sucks.

I own 2 Nivues systems. They are working on a 64-bit version of their controller software.

It starts around $500 and that's only for one system. To do anything with it you need to have more copies of it. Either way, it seems more of a rip off then anything.

Oh, and that price tag is only if you have one of their (I believe it's Creston or something) MCE systems.

You are partially correct...you can get the software itself for around that price without MCE or Creston and I agree, the price is high..I got it when I wasn't a dealer for $199.

On a side note..there are several threads over in the AVS forums. The users there are using many different touch interfaces like Xlobby, Homeseer..etc..

Last edited:
i use mine with homeseer and a usb-uirt to launch stuff on my HTPC via IR.

you can even use the MCE IR keyboard to teach the USB-UIRT keyboard shortcuts that the MCE reciever will recognize.

then you can launch mediabrowser with keyboard shortcuts from the touchscreen.

there is also a TCP way of play/pause/channel and such commands. I have not used it at all but i know it is built into MCE

I really use my touchscreen (1 now and 2 late) for homeseer. Lights, t hemostat, Home Audio with J River (in process)

then i use a Harmony 890 for controlling my HTPC

if I were you... I would just use mediacenter on each on. get a tuner that is network enabled like the HDHomerun or the new ceton card when it comes out..

then add mcontrol (its cheaper and better in mediacenter than homeseer) to give youself more control.

i use mine with homeseer and a usb-uirt to launch stuff on my HTPC via IR.

you can even use the MCE IR keyboard to teach the USB-UIRT keyboard shortcuts that the MCE reciever will recognize.

then you can launch mediabrowser with keyboard shortcuts from the touchscreen.

there is also a TCP way of play/pause/channel and such commands. I have not used it at all but i know it is built into MCE

I really use my touchscreen (1 now and 2 late) for homeseer. Lights, t hemostat, Home Audio with J River (in process)

then i use a Harmony 890 for controlling my HTPC

if I were you... I would just use mediacenter on each on. get a tuner that is network enabled like the HDHomerun or the new ceton card when it comes out..

then add mcontrol (its cheaper and better in mediacenter than homeseer) to give youself more control.

Does your touch screen remain on 24/7? Does the PC that's connected to it power off when not in use?

What if I wanted to play music from a touch panel? I'm a little confused on how I can set that up. The easiest way would be to hookup the PC that's connect to my touch screen to "Input 2" on my receiver, but that would require that I walk over to the receiver and manually select "Input 2" on the receiver every time I want to play music.

Anyway to set it up so that when I want to play music via my Touch Screen that the PC sends a command to my receiver and tells it to switch to "Input 2" without me having to walk over to my rack to change inputs every time?

Do I need some sort of multi-channel amp? :confused:

Well i use a USB-UIRT to sent IR commands to the AVR for input change and my onkyo 605 has a zone 2 that I use right now.

with homeseer you can setup a touchscreen that will play music and sent IR or RS-232 commands if you have a Global cashe (?) IR controller which could be used with the URC remotes, maybe with a IR matching command, i think.
http://store.homeseer.com/store/Infrared-C47.aspx

that global cashe IR controller works with iphone apps and home automation software like mocontrol, homeseer and such

Well i use a USB-UIRT to sent IR commands to the AVR for input change and my onkyo 605 has a zone 2 that I use right now.

with homeseer you can setup a touchscreen that will play music and sent IR or RS-232 commands if you have a Global cashe (?) IR controller which could be used with the URC remotes, maybe with a IR matching command, i think.
http://store.homeseer.com/store/Infrared-C47.aspx

that global cashe IR controller works with iphone apps and home automation software like mocontrol, homeseer and such

I will need a USB-UIRT for each touch panel right?

well depends.

if you have a homeseer or mcontrol "server" forthe USB-UIRT then you only need it to be connected to the server.... then the client PCs would send the signal to the server, server sents out IR command via USB-UIRT and AVR changes.

it would well, all but volume control. the usb-uirt does okay with tapping volume 5 time a sec but when i hit it like 20 times a sec to quickly increase volume it goes crazy and goes full volume.

I compensated by adjusting 1 button push in homeseer to equal 5 volume changes.... or 5 ir sends to the AVR, so 1 touch makes a bigger difference

Back