(Totally unconfirmed) Rumored Changes in Windows 7 build 7140

Sabrewulf165

2[H]4U
Just passing this along, could be totally bogus, but interesting if true.

From SA:

No idea if this is accurate but iHackintosh posted a preported
changelog for 7140 (which hasn't leaked). No idea if some of this
stuff is in 7137 as well or if the list is accurate.
1. You can now add anything to the Taskbar.
2. Icons slightly expand when you hover over them on the taskbar.
3. The “System” menu is more simplistic, and easier to navigate.
4. You can change the login screen picture through the “Personalization” menu.
5. The menu/lists that pop up when you right click on things now have
the Aero Glass effect.
6. The default icons for Folders have changed to be the transparent
blue ones featured a long time ago.
7. The Minimize/Maximize/Exit buttons on the top-right of a window
have changed icons, and are a bit smaller than the Vista/7
counterparts.
8. [BIG ONE]: There’s an “Upload” feature for Pictures, files, and
videos. If you right-click a file, and click “Upload”, you can make it
automatically upload to a website of your choice. After uploading, a
pop-up will appear saying it’s done, and clicking “OK” will cause the
link/download link to the file to appear in the popup box. I tried
ImageShack and Facebook
, and they work.
9. Spanish, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese unicode(s) and settings are
integrated, so one can run foreign apps or use foreign keyboards
without changing languages & restarting.

Really not surprising. They've probably got more than this that they'll end up sticking in final. After all, what good is packing all the new features into an RC when they can charge money on the final?/?

7. The Minimize/Maximize/Exit buttons on the top-right of a window
have changed icons, and are a bit smaller than the Vista/7
counterparts.
8. [BIG ONE]: There’s an “Upload” feature for Pictures, files, and
videos. If you right-click a file, and click “Upload”, you can make it
automatically upload to a website of your choice. After uploading, a
pop-up will appear saying it’s done, and clicking “OK” will cause the
link/download link to the file to appear in the popup box. I tried
ImageShack and Facebook
, and they work.

The above seem to be the new FEATURES (not just polishments).
Changing the login screen will be something I think many will do. And shrinking the size of the triple buttons at the top right will work, as long as it saves on vertical space.
#8 is pretty darn cool too.

I'm not sure how I feel about these solutions as they unearth new problems.

1. You can now add anything to the Taskbar.
Okay, so let's say I have Explorer pinned to my taskbar and Also the location C:\Users\Username, what happens when I open Explorer and navigate to C:\Users\Username? Or If I open the \Username shortcut and navigate anywhere else, where I would technically be back in Explorer's area?

Anyone here that has used a non-standard DPI (not 96, 120...) will tell you that when icons are resized to a larger size bad things happen. I could still see Microsoft trying to push an idea like this.

Nothing in Personalization requires administrator privileges to do, why start now? This option should (I haven't used it myself so I can't say for certain) prompt for admin credentials because it effects all users and not just the one logged in. Whether or not it prompts, it is a good idea as the ability to change display images is already there.

5. The menu/lists that pop up when you right click on things now have
the Aero Glass effect.

Aero Glass introduces people to much difficulty when people try to read text on it when the glass is over images, text, or anything that isn't a single solid color. It doesn't make sense for Microsoft to do this. I'd say this would come at the detriment of Windows 7.

I question whether Microsoft would make these types of changes this late in the game. An anything -goes taskbar and glass jump lists are things I imagine Microsoft would try to push in a public build to get feedback for as they are drastic changes. Of course, Microsoft knows how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. We'll know soon enough.

Edit:
And #7 confuses me as well, does anyone know how and why are these being made smaller? Horizontally? Vertically? I don't think either is of any help but that's just my opinion.

Edit 2: The quickening
Smaller caption buttons is not a feature, TechieSooner. :p I'd hesitate to call #4 a new feature too. It is already available through registry (as early as build 7000, maybe before) and I believe some business feature pack and/or policy has the UI to accompany these keys.

Last edited:
All sound like legitimate changes and the type of stuff they would change towards the end of production cycle. Very impressive and I would definitely upgrade to 7140 (if this is true) as soon as it leaks.

What does it mean though, "easier to navigate the 'system' menu" ... I guess I don't know what that is referring too.

Anyone here that has used a non-standard DPI (not 96, 120...) will tell you that when icons are resized to a larger size bad things happen. I could still see Microsoft trying to push an idea like this.
That's so XP thinking. :p Vista/Win7 also supports vector-based icons that resize with no problem.

Not every program includes a reasonable selection of icons anyways. You already see ugly resized icons in XP too. But I'd take Aero resampled icons over ugly XP pixel scaled icons any day. IOW, it's less of a big deal than you make it sound like.

Well according to the guy that I heard this from to begin with, the same SA thread he saw it in is now saying the info is "apparently" fake. Oh well.

Smaller caption buttons is not a feature, TechieSooner. :p I'd hesitate to call #4 a new feature too. It is already available through registry (as early as build 7000, maybe before) and I believe some business feature pack and/or policy has the UI to accompany these keys.
You've got a nice grip on the obvious, there...

:rolleyes:

Obviously what I was referring to was the fact it's in a standard install for any Joe Average user to change.

Well according to the guy that I heard this from to begin with, the same SA thread he saw it in is now saying the info is "apparently" fake. Oh well.
How do they determine that? Sounds like valid changes to me...

Some of them are questionable (Background behind menu text = transparent might be a bad thing) but all in all, these are things I'd expect Microsoft to start adding into the final builds.

Obviously what I was referring to was the fact it's in a standard install for any Joe Average user to change.

Hey now... dem's fightin' woids, bub... I think you're confusing me with the average Joe (not me, I assure you). :D

To those commenting on aero glass for right-click menus, my interpretation of that would be similar to what you currently get when you right-click on new taskbar buttons - ie the menu is free-floating, glass-framed, but NOT glass on the menu itself. I think you're misreading if you think that the menu itself is actually going to be transparent.

Yeah, the background on the right click of task bar icons is like a white gradient almost, and glass framed. I could totally see that as the desktop right click menu. Also, nobody has a comment on what the "System menu" is?

This is a hoax. You don't add features after an RC, and MS more than anyone knows this. Only bugfixes from here on out.

This is a hoax. You don't add features after an RC, and MS more than anyone knows this. Only bugfixes from here on out.

I believe they did this in Vista... They always go through and optimize code one last time and add in the final little touches/features.

It's their flagship product, and they can do any damned thing they want with it. Somehow, I suspect we're not actually "feature complete" at this point... not by a long shot. <hint, hint> :D

I do know between the RC and Final build of Vista many things changed. Enough to urge people to get to the final.

If Final was just RC, there's no incentive for people to move into a final build...

that upload thing would be great, right click, pick the site you want to upload it to and done. That would be the biggest feature to date on the entire OS

why cant they think of more stuff like this???

that upload thing would be great, right click, pick the site you want to upload it to and done. That would be the biggest feature to date on the entire OS

why cant they think of more stuff like this???

"Damn Microsoft is biased toward including Live account image uploads in the OS!!!!"

It's their flagship product, and they can do any damned thing they want with it. Somehow, I suspect we're not actually "feature complete" at this point... not by a long shot. <hint, hint> :D

Sure, but its a matter of proper practice. I'm sorry, at this point you simply don't add new features and if this stuff is being done my guess is that the code has hopefully been around for a while but not impletemented fully.

Not matter what I can't see Microsoft adding much to the core OS before RTM.

Sure, but its a matter of proper practice. I'm sorry, at this point you simply don't add new features and if this stuff is being done my guess is that the code has hopefully been around for a while but not impletemented fully.

Not matter what I can't see Microsoft adding much to the core OS before RTM.

None of the above is what I'd consider the "Core OS".

And Vista did have stuff added in after the RC as well, FWIW.

Back